Fog lights Shake/Wobble Fix

Fog lights Shake/Wobble Fix

This is a discussion on Fog lights Shake/Wobble Fix within the DIY How To Section forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; I am new to the forum and just want to post a fix to a problem I have not been able to find an answer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Fog lights Shake/Wobble Fix

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie Ecodiesel 4X4
    Liked
    2 times
    I am new to the forum and just want to post a fix to a problem I have not been able to find an answer to. My '15 1500 fog lights shake terribly when I drive down the road, as I can see the light dance all over. I found a bunch of topics without anyone seeming to post an answer. Basically the fog light sits inside of a bracket that is mounted to the inside bumper. What holds the light in the bracket are two round pegs and the adjustment screw. It seems the rounded pegs were designed to allow the light to swivel up and down when you move the adjustment screw. Over time, the pegs wear away the openings on the bracket and then you get play. I am sure they were snug from the factory, but after 36k miles, there is a couple mm of slop. Here is what I did to get rid of the play:
    1. Climb under the front of your truck and find the fog light bracket. Take a flat screwdriver and back out the wiring harness flip from the fog light bracket. The unplug the wire harness from the fog light bulb.
    2. Next back out the (3) 10mm screws that hold the light in place. Once done, remove the entire housing so you can work on it at a work bench.
    3. Then unscrew the leveling nut and remove the screw.
    4. (BE GENTLE FOR THIS STEP - YOU CAN BREAK THE TABS) There are a tab on the left and right side of the bracket that you can gently insert a screwdriver in between to have them go over the pegs to remove the entire fog light from the bracket.
    5. I then took electrical tape and put a 1-2" piece around the peg. The amount you use is going to be dependent on the severity of the gap between the peg and the bracket hole.
    6. Once complete on both sides, you can put the bracket back on the fog lights. Put the pegs in their holes and then re-install the adjustment screw.
    7. Once together, re-install the bracket back on the bumper, insert the wiring harness and wire holding clip.

I did one side at a time so I could use the existing light as a reference to re-level it. Then do the other side.

All in it took me about 20-30 minutes. Good luck!
    CDNLaramie and Flames3D like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 1500 Laramie CC SWB GDE Eco-diesel 4X4
    Liked
    484 times
    The dealer just replaced mine on my truck. I was told there is no fix other then replacing them and that is covered under your 3/36 warranty. I was pulled over be a LEO, he told me my driving lights were "bouncing and blinding people on the road" and not to use them until they were fixed.

If your still under warranty I would just make FCA fix them, if out of warranty then follow the steps above.
    Last edited by Perrysburg Dodgeboy; 12-29-2016 at 10:09 PM.
    2015 Ram Laramie Crew Cab, short box, 4X4, GDE Tune, western brown with canyon brown light frost beige W/BENCH SEAT, wheel to wheel bars, front windows tinted 15%, 8.4AN radio and more gadgets than I know what to do with!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel 4x4
    Liked
    8 times
    2015 Laramie 4x4 with 42,000miles: I kid you not, during the Thanksgiving weekend, I was driving at night on the open road and noticed my lights were flickering/shaking/wobbling. Of course I had the headlights on and the fog lights. First, I turned off the fog lights and the flickering went away. It's was clear as day that the culprit was the fog lights and not the headlights. Roughly 1 year ago while driving on the freeway behind a belly-dump material truck, a decent size rock hit my front bumper and caused a golf-ball sized dent. I have a $0 deductible on my comprehensive insurance so I decided to take it to a body shop for repair. They simply replaced the entire chromed bumper. I'd assume the fog lights weren't reinstalled properly which is why they are now wobbly. Thanks for the write up Rat Pack.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    376 times
    That fix will work for a while. Eventually it will wear the tape out.

someone needs to make an aftermarket repair for that.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 1500 Laramie CC SWB GDE Eco-diesel 4X4
    Liked
    484 times
    Wounder if you could use JB Weld to build it back up then use a die grinder to reform it? That should fix the problem, also FCA/Ram needs to be made aware of this as it looks like it is a know issue and probably why they went back to the other fog lights. LED fogs are rumored as coming on the 2018 remodel trucks but that doesn't help us. My 04 had the round fog lamps and other then a drivers side seal failure at around 120K never had an issue with them.
    2015 Ram Laramie Crew Cab, short box, 4X4, GDE Tune, western brown with canyon brown light frost beige W/BENCH SEAT, wheel to wheel bars, front windows tinted 15%, 8.4AN radio and more gadgets than I know what to do with!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie Crew Cab
    Liked
    82 times
    FYI, I just got back from the dealer because I had the shakey fog lights. I'm at 57000km (34500 mi for you Trumpians). Guess what? They replaced them for me, they even told me it's a new part number that includes an updated bracket to hopefully prevent it from reoccurring. I'll let you know at 120000 KMs!
    97hmcs likes this.
    2015 Laramie
    Crew cab

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2342 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben28881 View Post
    FYI, I just got back from the dealer because I had the shakey fog lights. I'm at 57000km (34500 mi for you Trumpians). Guess what? They replaced them for me, they even told me it's a new part number that includes an updated bracket to hopefully prevent it from reoccurring. I'll let you know at 120000 KMs!
    Do you happen to know the new part number?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie Crew Cab
    Liked
    82 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    Do you happen to know the new part number?
    I don't! I realized when I got home I didn't get any paperwork from them. I will try to get one and I will post if I get it.
    97hmcs likes this.
    2015 Laramie
    Crew cab

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie Crew Cab
    Liked
    82 times
    Still need to call the dealer, but here is a picture of the new part. It says "revision" on it, so that's a good sign

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 laramie 4x4 6'4" bed with goose neck
    Liked
    4 times
    Mine are wobbly too and have been a while. I think the worse the road the quicker you wear them out
    2015 laramie 4x4 with 6'4" inch bed and gooseneck set up. Prairie something (very pretty) color
    Save $200 a month on fuel compared to my previous Hummer H2 based on $2 per gallon
    Wants: leveling kit, gde tune and tailgate assist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links