Care to share some thoughts?

This is a discussion on Care to share some thoughts? within the Green Diesel Engineering forums, part of the Supporting Vendors category; http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/r...tml#post411338 It's always nice to have another opinion. Thanks in advance....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Care to share some thoughts?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2100 times

Tcm/ECM updates.

It's always nice to have another opinion. Thanks in advance.
    VernDiesel likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1129 times
    It would appear that Ram has dramatically stepped up closing the tuning loopholes. My guess is it's all EPA driven & not because they wanted to. That costs them R&D $$ & Sergio hates spending anything to improve. My personal opinion is life just got really hard for folks like GDE, but I have faith they will find some work-arounds to make these trucks run better. The down side is everything just got way more complicated & that means more room for problems. If I really needed a diesel pickup, I think I would buy a pre emissions model & pay to have it completely refurbished top to bottom. I been to complicated electrical & emissions hell & I won't go back again, but that's just me.
    Former Ecodiesel owner - now 2016 Lexus RX 450h

Mopar Tonneau Cover, WeatherTec Bug Deflector, Geno's Garage Cabin Filter,
    JBL GX962 6X9 Rear Speakers, Infinity REF-3002cfx Dash Speakers

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram ED Crew Cab Big Horn
    Liked
    5 times
    [QUOTE=Hershey;411602]It would appear that Ram has dramatically stepped up closing the tuning loopholes. My guess is it's all EPA driven & not because they wanted to. That costs them R&D $$ & Sergio hates spending anything to improve. My personal opinion is life just got really hard for folks like GDE, but I have faith they will find some work-arounds to make these trucks run better. The down side is everything just got way more complicated & that means more room for problems. If I really needed a diesel pickup, I think I would buy a pre emissions model & pay to have it completely refurbished top to bottom. I been to complicated electrical & emissions hell & I won't go back again, but that's just me.[

Hershey you may be right, several years ago John Deere and several auto makers went to the US Patents Office to have further restrictions added to they're software copyrights, to keep outside sources from being able to alter the vehicles operating software system. There were various reasons given why they're software should not be altered, however the USPO board took the stand that such sources should be able to change the software, again for various reasons. The manufactures were told they could approach this subject again after several years or whatever. I think with time the manufactures will get that kind of software protection, and it will be hard to access they're systems..., however hacking will probably achieve that. I also believe the manufactures do have the ability to run diagnostic software that can detect any outside sources alteration to the software, so with this day and age of technology the word "can't" doesn't exist. Somewhere in years to come, the EPA will eventually target any company who sells software or hard parts to delete emissions on vehicles. With the coming years politics we may see some of the EPA guidelines loosened, but that could change quickly in four to eight years with the next dog and pony show!
    Hershey likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Everything can be hacked. Only question is....."....how much you pay!" And as far as those pre-emission models......those will also be controlled and eliminated.

Member #
    Liked
    1129 times
    [QUOTE=Steve49;411746]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
    It would appear that Ram has dramatically stepped up closing the tuning loopholes. My guess is it's all EPA driven & not because they wanted to. That costs them R&D $$ & Sergio hates spending anything to improve. My personal opinion is life just got really hard for folks like GDE, but I have faith they will find some work-arounds to make these trucks run better. The down side is everything just got way more complicated & that means more room for problems. If I really needed a diesel pickup, I think I would buy a pre emissions model & pay to have it completely refurbished top to bottom. I been to complicated electrical & emissions hell & I won't go back again, but that's just me.[

Hershey you may be right, several years ago John Deere and several auto makers went to the US Patents Office to have further restrictions added to they're software copyrights, to keep outside sources from being able to alter the vehicles operating software system. There were various reasons given why they're software should not be altered, however the USPO board took the stand that such sources should be able to change the software, again for various reasons. The manufactures were told they could approach this subject again after several years or whatever. I think with time the manufactures will get that kind of software protection, and it will be hard to access they're systems..., however hacking will probably achieve that. I also believe the manufactures do have the ability to run diagnostic software that can detect any outside sources alteration to the software, so with this day and age of technology the word "can't" doesn't exist. Somewhere in years to come, the EPA will eventually target any company who sells software or hard parts to delete emissions on vehicles. With the coming years politics we may see some of the EPA guidelines loosened, but that could change quickly in four to eight years with the next dog and pony show!
    Without slipping completely off topic, have you heard about the new clause that Tesla has added to the sale of their cars? They forbid the vehicle to be used as a taxi and/or über use. My best guess is it has to do with the self parking/self driving capabilities their software is & will be capable of in the future. To me, that would be the only way they could justify that when they don't own the car anymore.
    Former Ecodiesel owner - now 2016 Lexus RX 450h

Mopar Tonneau Cover, WeatherTec Bug Deflector, Geno's Garage Cabin Filter,
    JBL GX962 6X9 Rear Speakers, Infinity REF-3002cfx Dash Speakers

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram EcoDiesel Crew Cab
    Liked
    16 times
    As nordqk said, anything a man can design, build and install, another man can hack it , make it better or remove it, Case in point, pacemakers are now known to have been hacked. I think it is EPA driven, manufactures don't want to spend extra $$ if they don't have to. Most of the software that drives these vehicles and equipment are designed for the masses. There is always a way to improve it, make it better or correct something. The software is mostly one size fits all. A well know company in my area will be out of business soon, They were selling and making off-road, tuning and emission bypass parts for diesels. They got on the EPAs radar. Bye-bye. :-(
    2016 Ram 1500 Bighorn. CC
    2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Ltd. CC, LB, DRW
    USN Retired

GDE
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram EcoDiesel 3.92axle 4x4
    Liked
    1604 times
    This is a non-issue for us. If a customer wishes to have the dealer perform the latest software update prior tuning, great, it will be less effort on our end. FCA does not utilize the flash counter on the ED. FCA also has much bigger issues on their hands now compared to looking at after-market tuning.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2100 times
    Thanks for the post, GDE.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
    Liked
    57 times
    FCA also has much bigger issues on their hands now compared to looking at after-market tuning
    GDE speaking of that, what are your thoughts on the allegations? I would think of those on this forum you folks would have the best insight into the ED tune and the EPA charges of cheating. If you don't care to comment publicly I would not blame you.

Thanks.
    2014 Ram Outdoorsman, Tuxedo LoPro Bed Cover, Geno's Cabin Air Filter, Dee Zee Tailgate Assist, Geno's Garage Fuel Cap, Kats Power Cord, Plasti Dipped Emblems

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 4x4 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    Liked
    52 times
    [QUOTE=Hershey;411874]
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve49 View Post

Without slipping completely off topic, have you heard about the new clause that Tesla has added to the sale of their cars? They forbid the vehicle to be used as a taxi and/or über use. My best guess is it has to do with the self parking/self driving capabilities their software is & will be capable of in the future. To me, that would be the only way they could justify that when they don't own the car anymore.
    Exactly how does Tesla forbid you to do what you want with a car after you buy it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links