RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Turbo Kit in action at the strip

21K views 50 replies 20 participants last post by  farfromovin 
#1 ·
Attached are time slips and a video of the GDE turbo kit running down the track. 9.1 sec in the 1/8 mile...good enough to be the fastest Ram ecodiesel on the planet. Outpacing even the compound kits out there. We hope to have these ready soon.

Text Document Receipt Paper Font
Text Document Paper Font Paper product
Text Document Paper Font Paper product

See less See more
1 3
#3 ·
With this setup while not towing what are your mpg's with everyday driving conditions?

#6 ·
So if I am reading this right looking at the slips left to right as you face the screen. Slips were all 1st copy white so I assume you were the winner each run. First slip 13.8@102 Second slip 14.3@92 Third slip 12.3@113!

If that is right kind of all over the map but once sort of dialed in 12.3 at 113 is flying!

Is this still on the factory fuel pump and injectors? If so are they close to maxed? We used to "hot wire" the pumps back in the day with the Grand Nationals so that the factory pump had the voltage to put out its full volume and live.

I am most interested in when you have a more final product for the oil cooler and CAC relocation for towing TTs but likely would just do it all at one time with a low mile motor. Exciting stuff great job guys.

Reactions: Diesel78
#16 ·
#23 ·
We are at the turbo limit based on rotational speed, so 310hp at the wheels. We might make a full out drag truck soon and add a turbo on top of this one. Then modify the exhaust/intake a bit to push it further. We will find the hardware limits on the bottom end.

#24 · (Edited)
Plan to find the hardware limits of the bottom end quite a statement. On a slightly different note do you think transmission tuning will pull out another couple tents or mph from this same setup that ran 14.30s?

#27 ·
On the strip the trans tune does not do too much, but over the road it is awesome to downshift to the right gear when passing and hitting it hard. It also allows much more lockup for towing, helping the fuel economy. We are also working on fixing the crappy 1-2 and 2-1 shift behavior at low speed and when slowing down.

Now is we heavily modify the air system through the engine (intake, heads, exhaust) to allow the engine to rev at load up to 4500-4700 rpm, then that could allow a trans tune to help by holding the gears longer before shifting. We might have to look into different cam profiles for the full race setup. Not sure I would recommend any of these mods on an engine with 320,000 miles already on it. You are already double the full useful life VM designed the engine for. It was designed for 150,000 miles as a B10 life. You have gotten your money's worth out of yours for sure!!

#34 ·
Well done GDE it is an impressive display of engineering, especially when one realizes that the EcoD is both aerodynamically disadvantaged, and outweighed by over 2000 lbs.

#37 · (Edited)
Shaggn There is another thread with dyno graphs. Robert had Flywheel convertion to about 335HP 595TQ. Lots of Hemi guys put lots of work in trying to get that elusive 13.99 slip. And if the flywheel tow number is 563 you would have the ability to rock a big load up a big hill. Really probably more than you should do with a 1500 platform.

GDE. No I don't plan on the turbo with this motor. It would be a low mile motor with the whole shooting match with trans tune. If it were on another truck I would sans the muffler but keep the rest until or unless it caused a problem. I know it would short a few horses on the overboost but I prefer clean pipes & lesser nox. Call it my rebellious nature I'd rather have "green diesel" despite our gov not because of them. ;)

Oh isn't 150k B10 more about knowing Ram has the 5 year 100k warranty covered in spades as then Ram knows most should last well past 150k. I think adequately maintained most people should get 300k out of this motor & trans if it doesn't take them 20 plus years to do it.

#40 ·
I apologize if you published the hp and torque numbers in an earlier post, but I'm asking as you likely have a better feel for what a GDE hot tune with all else being stock would turn for HP and torque now that you have been testing so thoroughly. Can you give us an educated guess? Thanks.

#43 ·
The HOT tune is 30hp, 65ftlb over stock. The turbo kit is delete only at this time and is 90hp over stock. These are the only two offerings we will have at this time. Could you clarify what set-up you are interested in?

#44 ·
I spoke with Matt when I had my truck tuned about a month ago, and he was mentioning the turbo at that time. Sounded fantastic, but if the turbo kit requires the delete, which I'm thinking makes sense due to the restrictions the stock exhaust puts on the truck's performance, then it's likely not for anyone who wishes to leave the DPF/SCR in place in order to pass emissions. It's just not worth getting caught for the extra performance, and we would get caught as emissions testing includes visuals on the DPF and SCR.

#45 ·
At this time the turbo kit is only for folks out of warranty and deleted. It is a lot of work to remap the soot model for a dpf intact version and we would also have to eliminate the overboost option for stock equipped exhaust system. It can be done, just depends on what the demand is for the kit.

#50 ·
I know you pulled the body off to do the turbo but for those that do not have that option what needs to come off the motor to get the turbo out without removing the body? I am already deleted so not worried about that. Just need to come up with the cash for this upgrade. Is it just the turbo swap and a new off road tune? I know you said there was a button or switch to be installed in the cab for the over boost option but just wondering what needs to be done under the hood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.