RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Nav and single CD question

6K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  okibonoe 
#1 ·
Can anyone explain how updates for the nav are accomplished after the first year? Do we have to pay a subscription to keep nav updated or is there a way to upload using USB or possibly the optional single disk CD?

Also, is there any benefit to the single CD other than just playing music? Can the system be hacked to play videos?

#2 ·
#3 ·
So the only one I could find with update availability was a 2012 and it says they send you a dvd. What happens on our trucks if you don't have dvd player?

Also, is there any benefit to the single CD other than just playing music? Can the system be hacked to play videos?

#6 ·
The CD player is for music - its not a DVD payer.

There is a product on the market, called the LockPick, IIRC, that can hack the video side of things - just keep in mind that playing videos where the driver can see them while moving is illegal in many states.
Sorry sportsguy it is a combo unit, at least here in canada it is a cd/dvd player.....

#7 ·
You have to down load it from the web site. I didn't get the CD/DVD player so that's the only way it will work for me. It is not sat link updated. Right now it's $150 for update maps and they have a download every other year. Unless you do a lot of cross country driving, I don't think it's necessary to download that frequent.

#8 ·
I have an onboard nav on the Gold Wing 2007 and it's never been updated. It's not often a road moves. Also have a Zumo 660 and get it update every year. The roads don't change but the POI's (Points Of Interest) do. Hotels, restaurants, gas stations etc. and they are adding more all the time. But even that doesn't happen much. I found the GPS runs out of memory to handle the upgrades faster than the updates happen. So far the Uconnect has been flawless.

#11 ·
Is it possible that you can update the nav system via USB or SD card input? Like you mentioned, CD player is optional, so there has to be a work around if you don't get that option.

#16 ·
According to Garmin, updates for 2013/14 Rams will be available in October. It should be a download that can be installed on USB/SD and installed from that media. I've also heard it may be possible to download it directly via Uconnect to the head unit, enter a validation code and it's active. No idea as to cost, older models can update with CD for $149.

#18 ·
Changed my build sheet to include the single CD player. I've found a couple plug and play 'lcokpick' devices that supposedly allow video while in motion (great for the kids in back) and allow nav address entry while in motion (great for passenger riding shotgun). It does a bunch of other stuff as well but those are the big ones for me.

Here's one I found:

LOCKPICK C8

Since I don't actually have the truck yet, does anyone know if the center display is visible for backseat occupants? Hard to tell looking at pics online and never thought about it while at the dealer.

#23 ·
Waverly,

If you have bench seats, it's under the bottom cushion on the center seat. If you have bucket seats, it's inside the large storage part of the center console.

Again, only IF you have that option on your truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.