Battery dead after 5 days of setting - Page 2

Battery dead after 5 days of setting

This is a discussion on Battery dead after 5 days of setting within the RAM 1500 Diesel Electrical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Thanks for all the info. A lot of good ideas. I will for sure try all of these once I figure out if it's the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Battery dead after 5 days of setting

Member #
    Vehicle
    Laramie 2016 ED
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks for all the info. A lot of good ideas. I will for sure try all of these once I figure out if it's the truck or battery that is the culprit. Disconnecting the ground will tell me. Once I isolate then I will take it from there. My key is also 30 feet away so It may have to be taken to the bedroom if it's that. Thanks guys!
    If all else fails I still have 8 months left on the warrantee.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Eco diesel 1500
    Liked
    562 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordonzoo View Post
    Thanks for all the info. A lot of good ideas. I will for sure try all of these once I figure out if it's the truck or battery that is the culprit. Disconnecting the ground will tell me. Once I isolate then I will take it from there. My key is also 30 feet away so It may have to be taken to the bedroom if it's that. Thanks guys!
    If all else fails I still have 8 months left on the warrantee.
    the current draw you mention should have zero effect

Get the battery load tested. - 98% chance the battery is junk.
    howie12 likes this.
    EcoD Truck with ZERO mods
    Nothing to brag about other than
    OEM NO TUNER '
    no funky mods
    Just drive it

Member #
    Vehicle
    Laramie 2016 ED
    Liked
    5 times
    Yes 2.ma is negligible. The dealer did do a load check but I'm not 100% they are being up front with me as he said there was a threshold that it didn't make to constitute a warranty claim. That will be another course of action depending on the 1 week age test I'm now doing. I planned to disconnect the battery to ensure no gremlins turn on sporadically as it's parked for a week. If the battery dies after a week then its the battery not holding a charge. If the truck fires up then there is something in the truck drawing a charge. That will give me a little something to go on to get either the truck fixed or the battery fixed. I will come back with my findings. Thanks everyone for the input as I will help me with the dealer.
    Captainmal likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 3D 4x4 QC Outdoorsman
    Liked
    521 times
    As stated earlier have an independent shop test your battery. My truck routinely sits for longer than 5 days and never had an issue. Either something is on or battery is weak.

2015 3D 4x4 QC Outdoorsman 3.55, 20" rims, Trailer Brake Control, Comfort Group, Luxury Group, Premium Cloth Bucket Seats, 8.4A Premium Sound (Upgrade JBL Speakers), Backup Camera, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Bedrug Bed Mat, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Dura Flap Splash Guards, EGR Ventvisors, Ionic Gladiator Running Boards, Tinted windows.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Eco diesel 1500
    Liked
    562 times
    Yes 2.ma is negligible. The dealer did do a load check but I'm not 100% they are being up front with me as he said there was a threshold that it didn't make to constitute a warranty claim. That will be another course of action depending on the 1 week age test I'm now doing. I planned to disconnect the battery to ensure no gremlins turn on sporadically as it's parked for a week. If the battery dies after a week then its the battery not holding a charge. If the truck fires up then there is something in the truck drawing a charge. That will give me a little something to go on to get either the truck fixed or the battery fixed. I will come back with my findings. Thanks everyone for the input as I will help me with the dealer.

=>> so was it good or not?
    sounds like he noticed it was weak >>>>?????
    OEM NO TUNER '
    no funky mods
    Just drive it

Member #
    Vehicle
    Laramie 2016 ED
    Liked
    5 times
    To paraphrase, He said the tester passed the battery within the limits of good and a battery replacement could not be issued from that. I'm sure it's week but apparently it's not week enough by their standards. It will get worse as winter grips our area. Now my position is, has it always been week or is something else drawing on the battery causing it to not hold a charge. Even if he gave me a new battery I must first find out if the truck is ok so it wont happen again. Disconnecting the ground for a week will tell me truck or battery.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Eco diesel 1500
    Liked
    562 times
    To paraphrase, He said the tester passed the battery within the limits of good and a battery replacement could not be issued from that. I'm sure it's week but apparently it's not week enough by their standards. It will get worse as winter grips our area. Now my position is, has it always been week or is something else drawing on the battery causing it to not hold a charge. Even if he gave me a new battery I must first find out if the truck is ok so it wont happen again. Disconnecting the ground for a week will tell me truck or battery.

yes- you can buy a cheap load tester to check as well
    My 2014 ram before sold used to drain after 3 days but the dash lights would stay on.
    OEM NO TUNER '
    no funky mods
    Just drive it

Member #
    Vehicle
    Eco diesel 1500
    Liked
    562 times

it gonna suck when your battery is totally dead in -30f
    OEM NO TUNER '
    no funky mods
    Just drive it

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    982 times
    After is sits for a couple of days with the battery connected, check the actual battery voltage on the terminals. If you have a voltage meter that will record Min & Max voltage, hook that up and start the vehicle.
    The battery "load" testers, even the ones the dealer's use are sometimes wrong.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    3382 times
    Reads like a need to carry one of those portable "jump starters". I have a tiny one that I keep under the back seat. Have used it to jump a quad back in the woods. Useful little bugger. It is supposed to be able to jump an on-road vehicle.

If it does jumpstart a pickup that would sure be better than waiting for a tow in any temperature.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links