Battery dead after 5 days of setting - Page 3

Battery dead after 5 days of setting

This is a discussion on Battery dead after 5 days of setting within the RAM 1500 Diesel Electrical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Yeah, this is ****ing bullshit. I've been watching this thread and waiting to chime in soon. The truck was hard to start a few weeks ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Battery dead after 5 days of setting

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.92
    Liked
    165 times
    Yeah, this is ****ing bullshit. I've been watching this thread and waiting to chime in soon.
    The truck was hard to start a few weeks ago after sitting maybe 3 days I noticed, or it just sounded like it when it cranked. The last 2 weeks the temps have dropped to the 40s so it's not even that cold, but I forced myself to drive it every other daybinstead of letting it sit 2 days or more. It still sounded rough to start, and if I flipped the cluster over to voltmeter it showed 10V after starting before ticking up to 11V.

Now I just drove it Thursday. The last two nights have been 31 or 32 degrees. I park in a carport adjacent to the house with my other car so it's not as warm as a garage but more protected from the elements than not.
    Now, this morning Sunday, it has been sitting 2.5 days then. I just went out to start and it won't even crank a full second, the voltage dips so low that the truck gives up trying because it self-protects. Not like an old school vehicle where you could forcibly keep cranking it beyond the margin of safety for the batteries' sake, this tip-start crap has prevented you from doing that now too.
    If even my base-model Tradesman has so much electronic shit in it that I can't reliably start the truck after a few days; and to top it off now I discover that you can't even crank the engine however long you want to, well I'm definitely not going to be a fan of this crap and will have to figure out if it's worth having something so new now.

And FWIW, my truck was built in July 2015 and bought October 2015, so it's not like the truck sat on a lot for a whole winter and ruined a battery. What a crock of shit!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    2015 Ram 1500 Tradesman EcoDiesel Quad Cab 6'4" 4x4, 3.92, 5.0 UConnect.
    WeatherTech OTH. DZ Bed Mat & tailgate assist. BAK Revolver X2. Bull Ring flush anchors. Mopar fuel cap & AMI locking door. AVS window visor/hood deflector. Tailgate badge. MOPAR wheel/spare locks. Costco neoprene front covers. 20x9 WRF w/ stock SRA. Timbren. MBRP 409SS single. OEM W2W steps. Hidden toolbox.
    To install: bed lights, cabin filter, Bilsteins & Mevotech UCA.
    Needs: tint, alarm, a little more bass

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 SRW
    Liked
    1690 times
    The problem is not the electronics, my 2014 Tradesman with original battery never failed to crank. As others have said, and your mechanic suggested it too, your battery is no good. Not sure why they're jerking you around, but this is easy to prove and can be done for free somewhere other than your dealer...
    Crash68, Davef and Captainmal like this.
    All opinions are my own, and always speckled with sarcastic humor... please do not take offense.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Eco diesel 1500
    Liked
    611 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL_57 View Post
    Yeah, this is ****ing bullshit. I've been watching this thread and waiting to chime in soon.
    The truck was hard to start a few weeks ago after sitting maybe 3 days I noticed, or it just sounded like it when it cranked. The last 2 weeks the temps have dropped to the 40s so it's not even that cold, but I forced myself to drive it every other daybinstead of letting it sit 2 days or more. It still sounded rough to start, and if I flipped the cluster over to voltmeter it showed 10V after starting before ticking up to 11V.

Now I just drove it Thursday. The last two nights have been 31 or 32 degrees. I park in a carport adjacent to the house with my other car so it's not as warm as a garage but more protected from the elements than not.
    Now, this morning Sunday, it has been sitting 2.5 days then. I just went out to start and it won't even crank a full second, the voltage dips so low that the truck gives up trying because it self-protects. Not like an old school vehicle where you could forcibly keep cranking it beyond the margin of safety for the batteries' sake, this tip-start crap has prevented you from doing that now too.
    If even my base-model Tradesman has so much electronic shit in it that I can't reliably start the truck after a few days; and to top it off now I discover that you can't even crank the engine however long you want to, well I'm definitely not going to be a fan of this crap and will have to figure out if it's worth having something so new now.

And FWIW, my truck was built in July 2015 and bought October 2015, so it's not like the truck sat on a lot for a whole winter and ruined a battery. What a crock of shit!

Go to another dealer or the same dealer and Demand a battery replacement
    The proof is in the putting the battery is not acceptable
    Worse comes to worse go buy a battery that will solve the problem and keep you mobile deal with the dealer at a later date
    But I would elevate it to the service manager and or general manager Monday morning

I would shop at a new battery first though as your one year free replacement might've expired and they will prorate I replace a battery
    Might be cheaper to buy new one although I know it sucks possibly
    EcoD Truck with ZERO mods
    Nothing to brag about other than
    OEM NO TUNER '
    no funky mods
    Just drive it

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.92
    Liked
    165 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Davef View Post
    Go to another dealer or the same dealer and Demand a battery replacement
    The proof is in the putting the battery is not acceptable
    Worse comes to worse go buy a battery that will solve the problem and keep you mobile deal with the dealer at a later date
    But I would elevate it to the service manager and or general manager Monday morning

I would shop at a new battery first though as your one year free replacement might've expired and they will prorate I replace a battery
    Might be cheaper to buy new one although I know it sucks possibly
    Sorry I should have clarified I am not the OP and truck has not been into any dealer so far for this issue but it will be now, it just failed extremely quickly apparently. No electronics stuff has been done to the truck so it's in 100% stock form it shouldn't completely fail after 2.5 days sitting.

Battery is original not something I bought so 1year warranty wouldn't apply to me, it would fall under the 3yr 36k overall.

Last edited by DJL_57; 12-18-2016 at 01:01 PM.
    WeatherTech OTH. DZ Bed Mat & tailgate assist. BAK Revolver X2. Bull Ring flush anchors. Mopar fuel cap & AMI locking door. AVS window visor/hood deflector. Tailgate badge. MOPAR wheel/spare locks. Costco neoprene front covers. 20x9 WRF w/ stock SRA. Timbren. MBRP 409SS single. OEM W2W steps. Hidden toolbox.

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.92
    Liked
    165 times
    Davef, where do you get the one year free replacement from? You had me second-guessing and I had to look in the warranty booklet to be sure.
    Sure enough, battery should be covered for 3 years, 36,000 miles. Here are the only exceptions, battery not one of them:

Quote Originally Posted by RAM warranty information booklet
    F. When It Ends
    The Basic LimitedWarranty lasts for 36 months from the
    date it begins or for 36,000 miles on the odometer,
    whichever occurs first. But the following items are
    covered only for 12 months or for 12,000 miles on the
    odometer, whichever occurs first:
    • brakes (rotors, pads, linings, and drums);
    • wiper blades;
    • clutch discs or modular clutch assembly (as
    equipped);
    • windshield and rear window; and
    • wheel alignment and wheel balancing

Member #
    Vehicle
    Laramie 2016 ED
    Liked
    9 times
    The 1 year most likely came from me but I was going on what the service department told me when I first called to schedule my appointment. I wonder if I get a full replacement within the first year or if it becomes prorated at some point.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC Bighorn EcoDiesel 2WD
    Liked
    30 times
    Make sure they bench test the battery. I've had more than one battery show good when tested in car, but when taken in shop to tester showed bad. You need to go to a good independent battery shop, document their findings and have dealer replace your battery.

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.92
    Liked
    165 times
    Using a cheap harbor freight battery charger, I charged it Sunday and overnight. Started fine Monday morning and drove it to/from work. Then intentionally drove the other vehicle Tuesday so the truck would sit for at least 2 nights and temps have been low 30s. Well it just started right up today (Wednesday) after sitting since late Monday. I will be watching this closely but if the battery was truly bad, I would think it would have been dead this morning.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Laramie 2016 ED
    Liked
    9 times
    I've had two battery failures, 5 to 6 days of sitting. The outside temperature is currently in the 20's at night This Christmas break I may be able to let it sit again for a week as I will be home for a bit. This time while disconnecting the ground to make sure there is nothing else going on.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM ED
    Liked
    39 times
    I would just get a new Optima and then be done with it.
    2015 CC 4X4 Tradesman

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links