No Start - Battery

No Start - Battery

This is a discussion on No Start - Battery within the RAM 1500 Diesel Electrical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Heading out Saturday evening, celebrate New Years, instead of the truck firing up all I got was a click and all the lights went dead. ...

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
    Liked
    57 times

No Start - Battery

Heading out Saturday evening, celebrate New Years, instead of the truck firing up all I got was a click and all the lights went dead. When I released the key the lights would come back on. We were going to be late so took the GF car. Sunday morning put a volt\ohm meter on the battery showed 11 volts. Took the battery out and headed down to the local auto parts shop, they tested it and it indicated borderline good\bad. Had them charge the battery and retest, now show good. Took the battery back home, put it in the truck and drove it back to the parts store, again had them test the battery and charging system, now the battery shows borderline again.

Did not replace the battery, instead waited for the dealer to open, went in and asked them about warranty on the battery, I was told it is a straight up replacement within the 3/36, no pro-rating. Truck is out of the factory warranty, 43,000 miles, and the battery is not covered by the extended warranty, so back to the auto parts store and picked up a new battery. Just posting this as an FYI and to itch about the crappy battery I had, did not even last three years.

Ok, I'm done.
    2014 Ram Outdoorsman, Tuxedo LoPro Bed Cover, Geno's Cabin Air Filter, Dee Zee Tailgate Assist, Geno's Garage Fuel Cap, Kats Power Cord, Plasti Dipped Emblems

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 3D 4x4 QC Outdoorsman
    Liked
    519 times
    Thanks for sharing. You are not the first to have battery issues. If memory serves me correctly most that I remember have been 2014's. There was also talk on a thread a while back about a bad batch of batteries. Too bad you were out of warranty.

2015 3D 4x4 QC Outdoorsman 3.55, 20" rims, Trailer Brake Control, Comfort Group, Luxury Group, Premium Cloth Bucket Seats, 8.4A Premium Sound (Upgrade JBL Speakers), Backup Camera, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Bedrug Bed Mat, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Dura Flap Splash Guards, EGR Ventvisors, Ionic Gladiator Running Boards, Tinted windows.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    1324 times
    It seems to me we have a lot of bad new vehicle batteries nowadays. My theory on this is that the parasitic draw on the battery that modern vehicles have is part of the problem. Many vehicles will kill their battery just sitting in 2-4 weeks. This can happen in the factory lots before arrival and can also happen in the dealer's lost. Each time a battery is run dead there is a significant toll to its life. Additionally if it is not fully recharged when it is dead it is further hurt. It is not uncommon to have to jump start vehicles to get them off the transport trucks. It is also not uncommon for the dealer to jump start vehicles on their lots. The problem is worse for vehicles that sit at the factory lots or on the dealer's lots for a long period of time.

In general the AGM batteries in our trucks deal with a significant discharge better than a traditional lead acid battery but the potential for significant discharge prior to the original owner getting the vehicle is problematic. My truck was a special order and came straight from the factory to the dealer and to me in June of 2014 and the battery has been fine in temps as low as minus 20 deg F this winter. However, the 2010 Grand Caravan I bought off a dealer's lot new had a battery failure after about 18 months.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram EcoDiesel Crew Cab
    Liked
    26 times
    Not sure if crappy batteries, all the electronics drawing down the batteries or what, but the batteries on my 15 3500 only made it 15 months. Bad passenger battery. And hit or miss on AGM batteries. My 3500 had lead acid and so does my 16 1500. Bad enough having to replace one, I had to replace both on my 3500.
    2016 Ram 1500 Bighorn. CC
    2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Ltd. CC, LB, DRW
    USN Retired

Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Possibly not unrelated, after a rats nest on top of the battery...I keep a ultrasonic gizmo under the truck on, if the suckers eat anything which they do, instant short. 12volts are good for four years, if not something's fishy

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    3375 times
    Three years for mine early in March. Looking for wood to knock on.

Not uncommon, especially a couple years ago.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
    Liked
    57 times
    My truck is a 14, born on date of June. Parasitic loss is a real concern but only time my truck doesn't run on a daily basis is when I'm out of town and that is not a common occurrence. Sits in a garage, plugged in nightly when it's cold. At this point going with a crapy battery. Hopefully this isn't the new normal.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    2014 Ram Outdoorsman, Tuxedo LoPro Bed Cover, Geno's Cabin Air Filter, Dee Zee Tailgate Assist, Geno's Garage Fuel Cap, Kats Power Cord, Plasti Dipped Emblems

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    973 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio_Flyer View Post
    My 3500 had lead acid and so does my 16 1500.
    Are you referring to your 16 EcoD? It should have an AGM battery unless someone changed it.

Having dual batteries in the HD trucks is nice, right up till you have to replace both at the same time.

Sponsored Links