The case of the disappearing menu on Uconnect 8.4

This is a discussion on The case of the disappearing menu on Uconnect 8.4 within the RAM 1500 Diesel Electrical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Those of us that have the UConnect 8.4 system, have any of you had the menu which is at the bottom of the screen disappear ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Davef
  • 1 Post By madbadger

Thread: The case of the disappearing menu on Uconnect 8.4

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 RAM 1500 4x4 Laramie Longhorn Edition
    Liked
    20 times

Those of us that have the UConnect 8.4 system, have any of you had the menu which is at the bottom of the screen disappear on you? Do you know what it takes to reproduce that problem for a dealer, or if dealers are well aware?

This is on a 2016 UConnect 8.4 NAV/RA4 (I believe that's what comes with a Laramie Longhorn)

Here's a picture of the situation that will help.

The case of the disappearing menu on Uconnect 8.4-20170102_145842%5B1%5D.jpg

Thank you!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    1219 times
    My 2014 radio once in awhile would have a black screen or partial black like yours when you'd start it , shut it off let it re-boot then everything is fine , my 2016 isn't any different same thing the day before yesterday radio stations display was black finished my drive , parked it , went into grocery store, came out , everything worked perfectly . I don't worry about it , It's just another electrical glitch, that fixes it self . If the dealership replaces your radio the odds are the new one will act the same , or at least in my case 2 trucks same symptoms same fix , I'll do nothing until it stays black , then trip to dealership .

Member #
    Vehicle
    Eco diesel 1500
    Liked
    529 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Haul N Grass View Post
    My 2014 radio once in awhile would have a black screen or partial black like yours when you'd start it , shut it off let it re-boot then everything is fine , my 2016 isn't any different same thing the day before yesterday radio stations display was black finished my drive , parked it , went into grocery store, came out , everything worked perfectly . I don't worry about it , It's just another electrical glitch, that fixes it self . If the dealership replaces your radio the odds are the new one will act the same , or at least in my case 2 trucks same symptoms same fix , I'll do nothing until it stays black , then trip to dealership .
    I have had similar gremlins as well and both my 2014 and 2016

If turn it off and restarting the exit just remove the positive battery terminal for 10 seconds and reinstall and try that

From what I'm reading here I definitely would not be interested in getting any of the new updates from the dealer it will cost you mileage
    Haul N Grass likes this.
    EcoD Truck with ZERO mods
    Nothing to brag about other than
    OEM NO TUNER '
    no funky mods
    Just drive it

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie Crew ED with 6'4 RAMbox
    Liked
    66 times
    I have had this exact issue once now with my 2016 Laramie and a shutdown and restart fixed it. I used to have similar stuff happen with my Jeep with UConnect with typically a restart fixing it as well and could never reliably get it to do it so never bothered showing it to the dealer.

On the subject of updates...

I just had my truck in for my first oil change and they did updates for the PCM, TCM, BCM, ITBM, RFH, IPC, ASCM and I absolutely so no change in mileage with the truck. I do notice that the park sense is less sensitive though, which I actually like. In fact, we visited family in the US over the Holidays and average 9.4 L/100 KM (25MPG) This was through a snowstorm on Winter Tires and using winter fuel. That same trip in the Summer I averaged 8.6 L/100KM (27 MPG), so if all I lost was 2 MPG with Winter Tires and Winter Fuel I am pretty happy. 25 MPG with a truck that weighs about 6300# doing basically 75 MPH over a trip that includes the #9 Airline in Maine (Up and down hills the whole way) I would bet that you could not get that in a CRV with 4 people and luggage in it....

Cheers,
    "Run silent, run deep"

2016 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4 Laramie 6'4 Rambox - Air Suspension - All Packages - NAV - AntiSpin - Sunroof - G2 BackFlip
    2015 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD
    2012 Volvo S60 T6 AWD

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    3 times
    My screen has "blacked out" three times in the last month or so.
    Since TSB 08-057-16 REV. A RA3 And RA4 Radio Enhancements has been applied at the dealer, this has not happened since.
    fxober likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    my bottom part of the screen did the same thing, restart fixed it, at the time, I think I was doing something with the bluetooth setup on my phone while getting ready to drive to work or something, maybe that could be the trigger or it could be totally unrelated.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by madbadger View Post
    My screen has "blacked out" three times in the last month or so.
    Since TSB 08-057-16 REV. A RA3 And RA4 Radio Enhancements has been applied at the dealer, this has not happened since.
    Thanks madbadger I'll ask about that when I go into "the dealer"....

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin98 View Post
    my bottom part of the screen did the same thing, restart fixed it, at the time, I think I was doing something with the bluetooth setup on my phone while getting ready to drive to work or something, maybe that could be the trigger or it could be totally unrelated.
    Same here it is something to do with Bluetooth, I agree on that. Not reliably reproducing thought... I have a picture though.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links