Odd key fob behaviour and red flashing dot light on evic

This is a discussion on Odd key fob behaviour and red flashing dot light on evic within the RAM 1500 Diesel Electrical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Everything was working fine on the truck until I got home today from a drive. The key fob wouldn't lock/unlock or remote start. The other ...

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoDiesel 1500 SLT crew 6'4" box
    Liked
    17 times

Everything was working fine on the truck until I got home today from a drive. The key fob wouldn't lock/unlock or remote start. The other one would work the locks only. Both keys start the truck just fine, and it seems like the last key that was put in the ignition will then work the locks, and the other fob does nothing or a really flaky lock/unlock sometimes. I fiddled around with both keys, took the truck for a drive, then tried again, still flaky. There's also a flashing red dot above the 'N' (neutral) on the evic for a few seconds after turning off the truck. I don't recall ever seeing that before. I tried something I saw on another post, cycled the key to accessories/off twice quickly, then had a oil light and the oil pressure read zero? Checked the oil, it's fine. Started up, oil pressure reads fine. Oddly, the battery read 11v on the evic, normally 13-14v. It was cold here last night and had the block heater plugged in for 5 hours this morning, not sure that's related but I rarely plug the truck in.

I called the dealer and they said try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 1/2 hr then try again. If that doesn't work, they said to bring the truck In. The dealer is 1hr drive away, so I'm hoping I can reset what seems like an electrical/alarm issue myself.

Has anyone ran into something like this before? Any ideas?
    Last edited by TheDL; 01-07-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    17 times
    Update: After 1/2hr with battery unhooked, same problems. The clock had reset, but all symptoms remain. A volt meter on battery reads 12.2v, I disconnected both pos and neg battery cables and hooked up my 12v boat battery smart charger. It read the battery at 12v, said 'low' and is now charging. Odd the 1 yr old battery would be flaky like that, yet still start just fine. Seems like and an electrical gremlin, but the zero oil pressure warning when I'm accessory mode (it reads correctly when the truck is started) and that wierd red light over the 'N' (which is now usually solid) have me scratching my head. Now, the fobs sort of work as they did befor but the button on the door trim does nothing (while the battery was still connected). Dealers closed till Monday, and I need a truck. Any one got any insight into this wierd issue?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    854 times
    You said your door lock/unlock buttons have stopped working? Sounds like it may have e been a connector that has worked it's way loose, check the ones under the dash or possibly an issues with the BCM

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    17 times
    Thanks for the reply crash68! Where are the connectors under the dash? It's odd that the key fobs would (for the most part) work the locks, but the button on the door did nothing. Battery is still saying 'low' on the charger and it's cold here (-15 C) so I will leave it on the charge until it's charged up but you would think of it can turn the motor over no problem it should work the electronics. Still mystified by the red dot light and low oil indicator (until started). It's too cold for this bs.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    854 times
    There is a big connector just above where your left foot sits, grab a flashlight and look under the dash. It's relatively spacious under there, you'll probably see a bunch.
    I doubt it's the battery, holding at 12V is fine, it's just the parameters of that charger saying it's low.
    Plugging the truck in had no bearing on this issue.
    I know there is a red LED on the dash that is for the alarm system, but it is right next to speedo needle.
    A lot of features of this truck operate via modules that talk over a comm bus, if one of the modules stop talking or are intermittent, it can cause all sorts of weird issues.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 4x4 Laramie longbox crewcab
    Liked
    434 times
    A 12V battery should read about 13.8V if it is fully charged.
    2014 4x4 Laramie Crewcab, Longbox, 3.55, every option except RamBoxes and parking sensors.
    1A Auto power folding tow mirrors, Mopar wheel to wheel bars, Access Lorado tonneau cover
    Weathertech floormats & mudflaps, TrailFX hood protector, Edge Insight CTS, GDE Hot Tune

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    854 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorny View Post
    A 12V battery should read about 13.8V if it is fully charged.
    13.8V if the vehicle is running and the alternator is doing its job.
    If a battery stays closer to 12.5V static, that's better.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2055 times
    battery-state-of-charge-chart.pdf AGM's will be slightly higher at 100% charge state, usually 12.8-12.9V

Sponsored Links