Service DEF System - ENGINE WILL NOT RESTART! - Page 2

Service DEF System - ENGINE WILL NOT RESTART!

This is a discussion on Service DEF System - ENGINE WILL NOT RESTART! within the RAM 1500 Diesel Electrical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Originally Posted by cat man This is what I learned when I was having all my def problems . A lot of these messages are ...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Service DEF System - ENGINE WILL NOT RESTART!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2433 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cat man View Post
    This is what I learned when I was having all my def problems . A lot of these messages are caused by dealer not doing the update completely , they think just doing the flash will fix it . The whole update might have told them they were to drain and refill the def tank in a certain order. You will also get this message with any time you lose def injection IE def pump failure, plugged def injector . Might want them to do def dosing test
    cat man, Good thoughts on the pump and/or injector.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    I'm going to say most likely a failed sensor. Could also be the SCR, but generally the 2015's have been good. Is the check engine light on? If so, is it the P20EE code?
    Please know, we are rookies at this and can only relay what we are being told by the dealer. I have asked for paper records of all my visit so far, keep in mind the truck has hardly been driven off the lot.

Yes, the check engine light always proceeds the messages through the HUD.
    -The first code was P0517-00 STOPRED - Solution was to Reprogram computer per TSB 18-019-15 REV B
    -Second was P05F1-00 ACTIVE. Connector 1362 Full of Water - Solution was to Scan, Clear DTC... They tested the voltage at Circut F203, with disconnect at PDC and Pump. Check 1362 Connector, clean out connector and reseal. Cleared DTC
    - Third... I had to return later that day with the same code - they resealed with a seal from an old harness. (I couldn't make this stuff up if I wanted to)
    - Fourth - Was the reason I started this thread... "Engine will not restart... - service DEF" - this message cleared itself on the drive to the dealer, the engine light remained on.
    - I just got a call from the dealer, saying this engine light is the same as the second and third visits... "connector full of water" - I haven't even driven this truck in the rain...
    - They proposed a new method of resealing this connector as per the 'tech hotline'. They will have one of their employees drive the vehicle home tonight to see if the fixed worked (it is supposed to rain over night).

Seems kind of weird a connector underneath the hood could be repeatedly filling with water when we haven't had a chance to drive this beauty on wet pavement yet?
    Can anyone make sense from any of these error codes?

-

Member #
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasJoe View Post
    So was this a dealer demo, I know this may sound strange but did you inquire about the service history. I only ask so that we can consider all possibilities. How confident do you feel in the dealer's knowledge of servicing the truck?
    The truck was brand new when we bought it, not a dealer demo (although we had that option).
    The dealer seems about as confident as I would be trying to rebuild the truck from scratch...

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    This is what I learned when I was having all my def problems . A lot of these messages are caused by dealer not doing the update completely , they think just doing the flash will fix it . The whole update might have told them they were to drain and refill the def tank in a certain order. You will also get this message with any time you lose def injection IE def pump failure, plugged def injector . Might want them to do def dosing test
    DEF Pump failure sounds like a very plausible at this point. However, no engine codes so far would point to that... Is a DEF dosing test something the dealer can easily do, and report back on?

Member #
    Vehicle
    14. ECD QC Tradesman
    Liked
    732 times
    Hmmmm......sounds like a drain/flush/ fill of the DEF tank might be in order ? What is the build date on your truck ? How long has it sat at the dealer before you got it ?
    14 ECD QC Tradesman 4x4, anti - spin, full tow pkg, Dee-Zee running boards , Jeraco fiberglass topper.

Retired Police / DOT Enforcement Officer . Penndot 3rd Party CDL Driver Examiner.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 ram 1500 diesel reg cab
    Liked
    73 times
    A dosing test is not very complicated it just involves removing def injector capture the def in beaker if I remember right it should be around 30 ml

Member #
    Vehicle
    15' Lone Star Crew
    Liked
    439 times
    Bingo! Catman I think FCA owes you some money. Op I'm still leaning towards the update based on probability of DEF failure as Catman has pointed out its likely it has not been properly updated.
    2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Lone Star Crew / Bright White / 5'7" bed / 3.55 axle/ Kicker speaker Upgrade / 20" Sport Wheels Polished Aluminum Upgrade / Lone Star Premium Group / Anti-Spin / Trailer Brake Control / Spray In Bedliner / Tailgate Assist /

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Laramie Eco ,98 2500 cummins, 05 vw tdi
    Liked
    338 times
    When mine though the def message there was a connector on the passenger fender by the rad that had corrosion inside a flash and clean the plug and I was off and running.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    3678 times
    Glad I don't own one of those fancy things. That's huge warning message. Mine is little and easily covered over.

Seriously, the dealer has to find and fix it.

There's a way to start the truck if it does go to the shut-off timer period. Search here for it. You jump two connections in the fuse box. That is not a solution. The DEF system is both the problem and the solution. Lots of possibilities but conjecture and past experience may not be valid for your experience. Dealer must handle it or ...

Void the warranty, spend thousands and lots of time and industry and do a complete delete. Not practical. Just a radical solution.

BBJ
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Bighorn Quad Cab ED
    Liked
    72 times
    I had this once with the p020e code. When they changed the SCR and sent me on my way I also got the will not restart message. Well they did everything correctly but forgot to do the DEF "healing procedure", essentially a computer reset I suspect, so it thought it wasn't fixed. Could they have forgotten this. Is it on the work order?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links