Service DEF System - ENGINE WILL NOT RESTART! - Page 3

Service DEF System - ENGINE WILL NOT RESTART!

This is a discussion on Service DEF System - ENGINE WILL NOT RESTART! within the RAM 1500 Diesel Electrical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; When I was having my scr troubles it went into count down twice . The last time was after the scr replacement ,like you they ...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Service DEF System - ENGINE WILL NOT RESTART!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 ram 1500 diesel reg cab
    Liked
    70 times
    When I was having my scr troubles it went into count down twice . The last time was after the scr replacement ,like you they skipped the healing process . I think the major reason they try and skip it is the first part or the healing is to drain the def tank and refill it so much at a time ,this recalibrates the def gauge and resets the count down. the other part of the healing involves a 50 mile run at highway speeds .

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    My turn for this now. Left the truck at the dealers for 10 days for warranty repairs when I was out of the country during the first part of November....parts were on national BO but have since come in. Scheduled apt for the 17th but I'm not going to make it past tomorrow with the 200 mile limit imposed. No call back from the dealer in two hours...have started to call service every 10 minutes. Anyone try the jumper wire hack to restart the vehicle?
    2014 Ram 1500 OUTDOORSMAN QUAD CAB® 4X4 6'4" BOX, Western Brown with Canyon brown interior plus a few other things.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2072 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shaker223 View Post
    My turn for this now. Left the truck at the dealers for 10 days for warranty repairs when I was out of the country during the first part of November....parts were on national BO but have since come in. Scheduled apt for the 17th but I'm not going to make it past tomorrow with the 200 mile limit imposed. No call back from the dealer in two hours...have started to call service every 10 minutes. Anyone try the jumper wire hack to restart the vehicle?
    Emergency Start REVISED.pdf
    Haul N Grass and EAtkins like this.

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Thanks. That's what I was referring to.

Service is useless....they told me it was low on DEF when I just filled it over the weekend. In short....idiots. Can't get me in until Tuesday. I asked which dealership employee was going to pick me up when the truck does not start. His response "what do you mean".
    2014 Ram 1500 OUTDOORSMAN QUAD CAB® 4X4 6'4" BOX, Western Brown with Canyon brown interior plus a few other things.

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    How does that phrase go?!?!? Love the truck, hate the dealer.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    1222 times
    Mr 97 hmcs. Thanks for always being an information center, I believe you have helped everyone with an answer to there questions!!!!
    97hmcs likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
    Hey All,

A quick update to our situation. The truck was at the dealer for a couple days with its fourth light... I was called by my service rep who asked if it would be okay for one of their technicians to drive the truck home (to verify the light would not return... after all - I live 35 min drive each way to the dealer, and I'm "outside of the shuttles area"...). They said the most recent (fourth) check engine light was a repeat of my second and third... 'water filled connector'. It was supposed to rain that night, I figured sure...better they will figure this out than me driving each way again. The light did not come on overnight, I picked my truck up the next day.

The truck is seldom used (except for light duty commercial use), it sat (6 days) over the weekend until today when I needed it for work. 400 km later, the light is back! Called the service manager who said they were too busy to get me in, and that I should continue to drive my new truck with its check engine light on for the next 4 days (over the weekend). The "engine will not restart in..." message did not appear this time, he said "it should be fine until Monday" when they would be able inspect the vehicle. I did drive through a light sprinkle (scattered showers) this morning... I wonder how this connector continues to fill with water...or if that;s what the issue is?

Fluid levels seem fine, still at 3/4 tank of DEF since the original dealer fill up (the truck only has 3700mi on it). I hope nothing bad happens over the weekend, after all it was the dealer to tells me to continue driving it...Thank goodness for Extended Warranties..

I would love to insist the dealer try the DEF healing procedure... I try and mention that to them on Monday. Thank you all for your continued support.

Member #
    Vehicle
    none yet
    Liked
    84 times
    Here's what gets me: how the hell would the computer know that water is in an electrical connector unless there's a moisture sensor in every electrical connection that it monitors?

I'm thinking "water in connector" is a badly-chosen euphemism for "there's a short somewhere" as that would be the practical result of water between connections.

Could they think perhaps BEYOND that one connector and check the wires leading to and from wherever they go?

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    I dropped the truck off today at the dealer...Funny, it would not start and clogged their service lanes. I noted that I called when the light came on and the urgency of the matter. I was nice enough to move the vehicle as I didn't want them pushing it (after there were 6 vehicles behind it of course).

They claimed to have all the parts in stock and would be ready this afternoon.

The jumper wire does work

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM EcoDiesel
    Liked
    7 times
    We just had this on our 2014. Dealer informed us there was a faulty sensor, and a recall (or two) out on it by Chrysler. For ours, they replaced the sensor and the catalytic converter. Covered under warranty, thank heavens. Once it was replaced, you had to drive 100 miles at constant highway speed to cause a forced regeneration, and make the message go away. Seems fixed now.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links