Regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) - Page 2

Regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)

This is a discussion on Regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I installed the GDE tune at 1200 miles. My truck regenerated the other day for the first time since then at 1900 miles. So 700 ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
    Liked
    10 times
    I installed the GDE tune at 1200 miles. My truck regenerated the other day for the first time since then at 1900 miles. So 700 miles between regens ain't too bad I'm thinking
    2016 RAM Crew Cab Laramie / 6'4" bed / 3.55 gears / GDE Hot Tune / Stubby Antenna / DeeZee Tailgate Assist / WeatherTech FloorLiners / Rhino Lining bedliner / Undercover Classic hard tonneau

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    228 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dvarn View Post
    I installed the GDE tune at 1200 miles. My truck regenerated the other day for the first time since then at 1900 miles. So 700 miles between regens ain't too bad I'm thinking
    I went about 725mi before my first Regen on my '16 with the GDE tune. so similar results. Just hit 1200 miles so we'll see if that continues.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    My truck did a regen at 700 miles or so, and by 1,200 the filter was full and it went into limp mode so I limped it to the dealer. They did a software update and a regen. Since then if I do all town driving, which involves a lot of shorter trips up to 5 or 10 miles at the most, and many only 1 or 2 miles, it will regen every 50 to 75 miles. Incredibly frustrating. If I had known that this truck cannot operate strictly as a city truck, I would never have bought it.

The biggest annoyance is that I will start the truck, with no prior warnings the info screen will say "filter 70% full, drive at highway speed to remedy" and then within a minute or two it's at 90%, and I'm forced to drive 8 miles out and back into town for it to regenerate. Not exactly convenient. The dealer says this is normal with the ecodiesels. It's the only thing that I dislike about the truck. The time it went limp I had less than 2 miles from initial warning to limp mode.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, GMC Duramax, Ford 7.3 diesel
    Liked
    2527 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lookaught View Post
    My truck did a regen at 700 miles or so, and by 1,200 the filter was full and it went into limp mode so I limped it to the dealer. They did a software update and a regen. Since then if I do all town driving, which involves a lot of shorter trips up to 5 or 10 miles at the most, and many only 1 or 2 miles, it will regen every 50 to 75 miles. Incredibly frustrating. If I had known that this truck cannot operate strictly as a city truck, I would never have bought it.

The biggest annoyance is that I will start the truck, with no prior warnings the info screen will say "filter 70% full, drive at highway speed to remedy" and then within a minute or two it's at 90%, and I'm forced to drive 8 miles out and back into town for it to regenerate. Not exactly convenient. The dealer says this is normal with the ecodiesels. It's the only thing that I dislike about the truck. The time it went limp I had less than 2 miles from initial warning to limp mode.
    I am inclined to think that your truck has a problem. My trips are 80% city driving with round trips of around 6-10 miles. I see regens at around 60-90 miles, but have never had the EVIC message to drive at freeway speed.
    Gene

2014 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
    2001 GMC 2500HD Duramax diesel
    1992 Ford E350 Navistar diesel

"Science prevails over bullshit and superstition"
    -Me

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Diesel Outdoorsman
    Liked
    70 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lookaught View Post

Sounds like the regens aren't completing properly for what ever reason. Likely because on the 1-2 mile trips the truck doesn't even get up to operating temperature, and the truck won't even start to try and get to temps that are required to do a regen, until it's up to or close to operating temps.

You may want to look into the GDE tune... it will increase the distance between regens substantially, even with mostly city driving. You can look in the tuning or GDE section for more info.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Diesel
    Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
    I am inclined to think that your truck has a problem. My trips are 80% city driving with round trips of around 6-10 miles. I see regens at around 60-90 miles, but have never had the EVIC message to drive at freeway speed.
    I concur. I drive primarily City - 14.7 KM one way to work, 50% city road, and 50% highway. I have only had an Active Regen (on the EVIC display 90% message) twice - and am at 55000KM. I am pretty sure it has done some Active Regens without telling me, as I can tell by the smell when I stop driving. (I don't have any gauges to monitor - which might be a good thing).

The Active ones I was warned about, were done in about 10 minutes - the last one I actually tried to get to the highway - but it finished before I got there.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The truck hasn't been doing it as much recently, maybe because the weather is warmer and it's getting up to temp more quickly. I think the super short trips have a lot to do with the timing of the regens, but the note to drive at highway speed to do the regen drives me nuts. I find it interesting that others don't get this message.

I've looked at the GDE tune. $800 is a lot of money but it's worth looking at, thanks for the info.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Limited eco-diesel
    Liked
    33 times
    lookaught:
    I know exactly how you feel. For my opinion and further information you can check out the thread I started "excessive REGENERATIONS". in the mechanical section. Where are you located (province / state)?

I have considered trading for a hemi but instead of loosing money going that way I am now also thinking about the GDE tune. I too like the truck in every way except for the frustrating, annoying frequency of the regenerations. I too wouldn't have bought the ED if I had known they would occur this frequently.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    105 times
    one other option is to get a monitoring gauge , like the Edge CS2 or CTS2
    this way you see on the screen all the time the " soot % "of the filter ,
    and you will know if a regen is coming soon , also the forced regen makes it possible
    for you,"" prior to starting the truck"" , to ask the truck to start a regen as soon as the
    engine will reach the necessary temperature , even if you haven't reached 66% soot
    in the filter .
    when I know I'm going for a 15 minute drive , and I last turned off the engine at around
    60% in the filter (DPF), my return trip would get me at around the critical 66% , on arriving at
    my final destination of the day , meaning I would want to get out of the truck , but the truck
    wants to start a regen , I am not going to go for an extra ride of 10-15 minutes .
    that is when I ask the truck to start a regen , when I get back home I am at +/- 10% if
    I ask for the forced regen .
    And if you don't ask for a forced regen , and your regen actually starts on your way back home
    the regen does not complete itself , you turn engine off , when you restart the engine the next time,
    you can see the new " %" of soot on the display and go from there .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 1500 Ram EcoDiesel
    Liked
    5 times
    I have 18,600 miles on my 2015 Ecodiesel and just noticed the EVIC message that told me my filter was at 100% and a regen was taking place. I was driving home from work and noticed that as I pulled into the driveway the percentage was dropping, from 100 to 60%, by the time I got my owners' manual out and looked up the regen explanation it was done.........

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links