Regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) - Page 3

Regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)

This is a discussion on Regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Here's my experience with the GDE tune: Once the active regen message shows in my EVIC display (the message says the filter is 80% full) ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)

Member #
    Vehicle
    Laramie ED,CC,4x4
    Liked
    125 times
    Here's my experience with the GDE tune:

Once the active regen message shows in my EVIC display (the message says the filter is 80% full) and if I'm not traveling at freeway speeds I try to keep the engine between 1,500 & 2,000 rpm by manually shifting gears. Once the regen message shows that the filter is 70% full I know that the active regen has begun. I've found that at this point I can drive at whatever speed I want and the regen will finish. I can also park it at this point, the truck will cool itself while parked, and the regen will start again when the filter is again 80% full.

(This morning I completed my regen at idle)
    Last edited by ustuplay; 06-26-2016 at 08:29 AM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Eco diesel 1500
    Liked
    557 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lookaught View Post
    My truck did a regen at 700 miles or so, and by 1,200 the filter was full and it went into limp mode so I limped it to the dealer. They did a software update and a regen. Since then if I do all town driving, which involves a lot of shorter trips up to 5 or 10 miles at the most, and many only 1 or 2 miles, it will regen every 50 to 75 miles. Incredibly frustrating. If I had known that this truck cannot operate strictly as a city truck, I would never have bought it.

The biggest annoyance is that I will start the truck, with no prior warnings the info screen will say "filter 70% full, drive at highway speed to remedy" and then within a minute or two it's at 90%, and I'm forced to drive 8 miles out and back into town for it to regenerate. Not exactly convenient. The dealer says this is normal with the ecodiesels. It's the only thing that I dislike about the truck. The time it went limp I had less than 2 miles from initial warning to limp mode.
    My 2016 has 33,000 Kilometres in the last 12 weeks mostly in the city I have never seen a re-gen message at all and I don't really care what's happening under the hood as I just drive it I have no tuner I have no problems

And if I do have a regen going on I sure as hell wouldn't go out of my way to finish it it will finish it when I get back in the truck

Is not going to burn up on you
    Last edited by Davef; 06-26-2016 at 05:45 AM.
    grayghost likes this.
    EcoD Truck with ZERO mods
    Nothing to brag about other than
    OEM NO TUNER '
    no funky mods
    Just drive it

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron4969 View Post
    lookaught:
    I know exactly how you feel. For my opinion and further information you can check out the thread I started "excessive REGENERATIONS". in the mechanical section. Where are you located (province / state)?

I have considered trading for a hemi but instead of loosing money going that way I am now also thinking about the GDE tune. I too like the truck in every way except for the frustrating, annoying frequency of the regenerations. I too wouldn't have bought the ED if I had known they would occur this frequently.
    I ended up getting the GDE tune about a month ago and have yet to see a regen since.

I'm located in Wyoming at about 5,400' elevation. Most of my driving is either short trips in town of a mile to two, or trips up the canyon to ride mtn bikes that are about 10 miles each way.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Davef View Post
    My 2016 has 33,000 Kilometres in the last 12 weeks mostly in the city I have never seen a re-gen message at all and I don't really care what's happening under the hood as I just drive it I have no tuner I have no problems

And if I do have a regen going on I sure as hell wouldn't go out of my way to finish it it will finish it when I get back in the truck

Is not going to burn up on you
    I was not worried about some catestrophic failure, but the truck did go into limp mode and sort of strand me when the filter hit 100% full and it would not regenerate. That's what I am worried about because only the dealer can do the forced regeneration (or at least I can't).

Hopefully the GDE tune sorted it out, it's been running well since and improved MPG.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Eco-Diesel
    Liked
    4 times
    I have only seen 1 regen in 67000km happened around 64K, 90% of my driving is highway no mods all stock

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    CaptKaos

Member #
    Vehicle
    Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, GMC Duramax, Ford 7.3 diesel
    Liked
    2483 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptKaos View Post
    I have only seen 1 regen in 67000km happened around 64K, 90% of my driving is highway no mods all stock

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    It is very possible that you have only seen one regeneration, but the reality is that you have likely had over a hundred regenerations.
    97hmcs and gawoods like this.
    Gene

2014 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
    2001 GMC 2500HD Duramax diesel
    1992 Ford E350 Navistar diesel

"Science prevails over bullshit and superstition"
    -Me

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    10,000 miles and no regen yet , 70 miles to work 2 days a week and towing a light trailer , did go into limp mode when oil got hot towing 3000lbs over Vail pass and the tunnel 8% grade ,

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2214 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter606 View Post
    10,000 miles and no regen yet , 70 miles to work 2 days a week and towing a light trailer , did go into limp mode when oil got hot towing 3000lbs over Vail pass and the tunnel 8% grade ,
    I'm going to guess you had at least 50 regens in 10K miles if you have the stock tune. If you have the GDE tune, you probably had a dozen or so regens.
    gawoods likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram EcoD
    Liked
    44 times
    I am looking into the GDE, so my question is how does the GDE tune limit regens? Does it truly make the motor burn that much cleaner or sometime down the road are we going to be in trouble because the GDE tune did not allow the truck to clean its emissions equipment. That is my concern; I'm confident that the answer is going to be, yes it is that much cleaner, but I would like to know how in some detail so I can put my mind at ease. I would really like to purchase it, but like many, I bought the diesel to last and I don't want to put the GDE in it if it is actually going to make the longevity less.

Thanks all

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Limited CC 4x4
    Liked
    328 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennesaw!16 View Post
    I am looking into the GDE, so my question is how does the GDE tune limit regens? Does it truly make the motor burn that much cleaner or sometime down the road are we going to be in trouble because the GDE tune did not allow the truck to clean its emissions equipment. That is my concern; I'm confident that the answer is going to be, yes it is that much cleaner, but I would like to know how in some detail so I can put my mind at ease. I would really like to purchase it, but like many, I bought the diesel to last and I don't want to put the GDE in it if it is actually going to make the longevity less.

Thanks all
    Yes the GDE produces much less soot than stock. It also changes the initial regen trigger from 65% to 80%.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links