Regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)

This is a discussion on Regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Here's some basic information concerning the self cleaning (regeneration) of the Diesel Particulate Filter: Active = fuel is ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2340 times

Here's some basic information concerning the self cleaning (regeneration) of the Diesel Particulate Filter:

Active = fuel is injected into the exhaust stroke strictly for the purpose of increasing exhaust gas temperatures (EGT's) in order to get to the temperature necessary to burn the soot out of the diesel particulate filter (DPF).

Your truck will regenerate (active) when the DPF soot level reaches 65%. This will likely occur every 100-300 miles. You will only see the notice on the EVIC if the soot level reaches 80-90% due to uncompleted regens.

Active self-regeneration occurs when there is not sufficient heat in the exhaust to convert all the carbon being collected in the DPF. Exhaust temperatures are raised by injecting a small amount of fuel upstream of the Diesel Particulate Filter.
    The resulting chemical reaction over the DOC raises exhaust gas temperatures high enough to oxidize the carbon from the filter. This is all done without any operator intervention.

Passive = the engine is working hard enough under its own power that the EGT's are hot enough to keep the regeneration of the DPF in process, there is no extra fuel burned as it is not necessary.

Based on my observations, you will not see EGT’s hot enough for passive regeneration at unloaded highway speeds. The EGT’s are actually quite low when cruising on the highway unless you are towing a heavy load,are carrying a full payload, or driving hard.

From forum member Patty:

The truck's programming will make many repeated attempts to regenerate the DPF, from a high soot mass level of 65% down to <10% when a cycle is complete. If your trip is too short and the engine is then shut off, or the truck is put in park with the engine idling, an active regeneration process stops (at whatever soot level the DPF is at). The next drive cycle when the DPF again reaches 65% soot mass the whole process starts all over again. If you are going on a road trip the complete cycle will happen many times over...up to 65%...regen...down to <10%...over and over again.

The following information from the Owners Manual:

EVIC Messages

Your vehicle has the ability to alert you to additional
    maintenance required on your vehicle or engine. Refer to
    the following messages that may be displayed on your
    Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC):

• Exhaust Filter XX% Full Safely Drive at Highway
    Speeds to Remedy
    — This message will be displayed
    on the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) if
    the exhaust particulate filter reaches 80% of its maximum
    storage capacity. Under conditions of exclusive
    short duration and low speed driving cycles, your
    diesel engine and exhaust after-treatment system may
    never reach the conditions required to cleanse the filter
    to remove the trapped PM. If this occurs, the “Exhaust
    Filter XX% Full Safely Drive at Highway Speeds to
    Remedy” message will be displayed in the EVIC. If
    this message is displayed, you will hear one chime to
    assist in alerting you of this condition. By simply
    driving your vehicle at highway speeds for up to 20
    minutes, you can remedy the condition in the particulate
    filter system and allow your diesel engine and
    exhaust after-treatment system to cleanse the filter to
    remove the trapped PM and restore the system to
    normal operating condition.

• Exhaust System — Regeneration In Process Exhaust
    Filter XX% Full
    — This message indicates that the
    Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is self-cleaning. Maintain
    your current driving condition until regeneration
    is completed.

• Exhaust System — Regeneration Completed — This
    message indicates that the Diesel Particulate Filter
    (DPF) self-cleaning is completed. If this message is
    displayed, you will hear one chime to assist in alerting
    you of this condition.

• Exhaust Service Required — See Dealer Now — This
    messages indicates regeneration has been disabled due
    to a system malfunction. At this point the engine
    Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will register a fault
    code, the instrument panel will display a MIL light.

• Exhaust Filter Full — Power Reduced See Dealer —
    This message indicates the PCM has derated the
    engine to limit the likelihood of permanent damage to
    the after-treatment system. If this condition is not
    corrected and a dealer service is not performed, extensive
    exhaust after-treatment damage can occur. To
    correct this condition it will be necessary to have your
    vehicle serviced by your local authorized dealer.

CAUTION!

See your authorized dealer, as damage to the exhaust
    system could occur soon with continued operation.

Soot Loading Strategy (Quoted from Forum Sponsor GDE)

The ECU runs two different strategies in parallel and takes the higher of the two outputs to determine the current soot loading:

Strategy 1 is a simulated value, and is calculated according to how complete the previous regeneration was, and how the engine/vehicle has been operating since then (engine speed, load, ambient conditions, exhaust temps, etc). Different OEMs design different variations of such a strategy, but for the most part the high level concepts are similar. The strategy employed by the Ram's stock tune is fairly rudimentary.

Strategy 2 is a physically measured value calculated off of measured pressure drop across the DPF, the DPF temperature, and the known flow rate of exhaust gasses.

The soot loading is used to trigger the regeneration when all the correct criteria are met.

Just as a note for some more info...

Passive regens happen when there is sufficient exhaust temperature and a favorable NO2/NOx ratio for the soot to burn. This phenomena will happen starting with exhaust temps in the 380-400°C range.
    However...the stock tunes are not capable to detect that passive regeneration is taking place, and to thus slow the modeled accumulation of soot and/or decrease it if the burn rate exceeds the production rate. This is why the intervals are not improved more in the highway cycles.

...we fixed this with our tunes, in order to avoid regenerating when it's not necessary.
    Last edited by 97hmcs; 02-25-2016 at 05:40 AM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Laramie ED,CC,4x4
    Liked
    125 times
    So when you are towing heavy you may not see an active regeneration. I did not know that.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Driving around town, I do about 90 KM and on the highway, around 200 to 300 km. When towing, I go over 300 KM. I also noticed that having my winter covers seems to slow down the Soot build up. I have the EDGE CS2 and monitor all the EGT's etc.
    Flyboymeii likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ecodiesel 4x4 crew, undercover flex, Raptor nurf bars
    Liked
    49 times
    keeping the engine hot helps with the dpf , I am thinking thats why most diesels have a High id-ail, and have to drive at highways speed " higher RMP's " to clean filter
    2014 ecodiesel 1500 crew 4x4 , undercover flex tonnuea cover , Raptor nurf bar's wheel to wheel , Timbrens " West Palm beach ,FL "

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    1404 times
    I have just turned 35,000 miles and have never seen anything in my EVIC about the dpf or soot level. However, the majority of my trips are 30-35 miles one way at 50-60 mph. I also note some of the owners manual stuff in the OP reference Cummins so wonder if some of it came form the 2500 section not the 1500 section.
    dbetts and kalalp like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Limited eco-diesel
    Liked
    33 times
    97hmcs:
    As you know I have posted on this regeneration subject numerous times as it is an annoying problem on my 2014. You have posted the above explanation several times which is appreciated.
    I have a related question that maybe you can answer? I also own a 2013 Mercedes Benz GL350 which has the MB 3.0 L diesel engine. It now has about 56,000 km and I have never had any indication of a regeneration. Perhaps the EVIC is just not as informative? This vehicle does more short trip city driving than my Ram. My question is, does MB just have a better system than the Ram? If so, what's the difference?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2340 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    I have just turned 35,000 miles and have never seen anything in my EVIC about the dpf or soot level. However, the majority of my trips are 30-35 miles one way at 50-60 mph. I also note some of the owners manual stuff in the OP reference Cummins so wonder if some of it came form the 2500 section not the 1500 section.
    Good Catch, Howie. I certainly did scoop-up some information from the Cummins section of the owners manual. I will revise my post accordingly. Perhaps I should proof read before I post.

I appreciate your help,

Joe

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2340 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron4969 View Post
    97hmcs:
    As you know I have posted on this regeneration subject numerous times as it is an annoying problem on my 2014. You have posted the above explanation several times which is appreciated.
    I have a related question that maybe you can answer? I also own a 2013 Mercedes Benz GL350 which has the MB 3.0 L diesel engine. It now has about 56,000 km and I have never had any indication of a regeneration. Perhaps the EVIC is just not as informative? This vehicle does more short trip city driving than my Ram. My question is, does MB just have a better system than the Ram? If so, what's the difference?
    Ron, I'm not familiar with the MB. I hope you get your regeneration issues sorted out.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM ECO Diesel
    Liked
    3 times
    I currently have 18,000 miles on my 2015 ECO and I have never seen anything in my EVIC either. I am almost always driving highway speeds of 65 -70 mph with trips ranging from 50 - 250 miles. I am assuming this is good?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Larmie
    Liked
    114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dbetts View Post
    I currently have 18,000 miles on my 2015 ECO and I have never seen anything in my EVIC either. I am almost always driving highway speeds of 65 -70 mph with trips ranging from 50 - 250 miles. I am assuming this is good?
    Yes this is good and normal, if you want to know when it is happening get a OBDII gauge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 RAM 1500 Crew Cab, Laramie, ECODIESEL, Granite crystal metallic, RAM Box, Towing Package, Scanguage II, GDE Hot tune.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links