That other diesel truck coming in 2015 -

This is a discussion on That other diesel truck coming in 2015 - within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; While waiting patiently for the guys North of the border to get their trucks, so we can read their reviews, the Nissan Titan with Cummins ...

/div>
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times

That other diesel truck coming in 2015 -

While waiting patiently for the guys North of the border to get their trucks, so we can read their reviews, the Nissan Titan with Cummins is floating around out there.
    Motor looks great, but am I the only one to notice that Nissan has not definitively said this truck will be a half ton? I have not read that anywhere... and it is fair to speculate, because that's what we do, that this new 5.0 Cummins diesel is capable as a 3/4 ton HD motor.

Would it not be ironic If the Titan did turn out to be a 3/4 ton or a half and a half...... that would leave the Ram half ton to be the only real half ton diesel.....
    The Chevy Colorado is coming out with the 2.8 L Duramax...... so more offerings on the horizon.

Nice to see diesels coming to market, in different sizes and flavors.... the Ram is a good blend of all, a V configuration motor, so it revs, an 8 speed tranny for economy and performance.... Ram will fill a nice spot in the market.

Still like the Cummins, will see what trucks the motor ends up in, besides the TItan.

Marsman

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    179 times
    Wish they had put that 5.0 Cummins in the Ram 2500. My 5.9 has way more torque/power than most anyone would need. I just shied away from another Ram 2500 Cummins because that 6.7 Cummins beast is a thirsty engine as it deals with the emission standards. I just think it's too big for people who do intermediate towing.

That Colorado is a smaller truck. Nuts to that.

Now all that figures in that this 5.0 Cummins would give me the mileage my current old Cummins does. Probably never going to find out.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2500 Laramie 4x4 CC Long Box in Prairie Pearl
    Liked
    130 times
    Everything I have read said the 5.0L Cummins will go in the Titan half-ton pickup. It will be a good addition to our choices assuming that Nissan does it right. So much power in a truck this size would fit those people who find a half-ton not enough and a HD too much.

The same car dealer in my area sells Rams and Titans so I looked at both. The current Titan needs a serious makeover. The 5.0L diesel (23-24 mpg est.) will help its horrible fuel economy but not nearly as much as the EcoDiesel which is one reason Ram went with the smaller engine. The Titan's lackluster quality, reliability and creature comforts need attention, too.

Cummins may also help Nissan's truck sales which are 1/20 of Ram's--and Ram is only third. Nissan must seem like a poor consolation prize to Cummins although the engine should be popular in RVs, busses and other vehicles.

Member #
    Vehicle
    14' CC 6'4" box
    Liked
    31 times
    That and the pictures that have surfaced that may or may not be the final body styling are really ugly .
    What has gotten my attention is the all aluminum Ford. 700lbs lighter should definitely yield some good MPG figures and also help those concerned with payload. So with no price announced yet I thought they will try to keep it close to the same process the current f150 or a couple of thousand more. I built the truck I would want with the current f150 and its MSRP was 55k, ouch. That's Sam ram with diesel and air suspension is 47k MSRP. If the aluminum body is 2k more that's a lot of $$$.
    Ram 1500 Crew Cab Big Horn 6'4" bed Maximum Steel metallic, Black/diesel gray interior
    3.55 rear end, 17 wheels, Air Suspension 4-Corner

Member #
    Vehicle
    2500 Laramie 4x4 CC Long Box in Prairie Pearl
    Liked
    130 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nailem View Post
    That and the pictures that have surfaced that may or may not be the final body styling are really ugly .
    What has gotten my attention is the all aluminum Ford. 700lbs lighter should definitely yield some good MPG figures and also help those concerned with payload. ...
    You get one or the other. Fuel economy will be okay with unloaded, but add weight or towing and the gas engines will suck fuel.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Captain, you are correct on the 6.7 being thirsty. My brother has a 2012 and around town it was lucky to get 11-12, and on road 15. They did a few things to help the economy, around picked up 1 mpg and on hiway driving 3 mpg. The 5.0 would seem to be a good blend.
    10-4 on the TItan being ugly. They are banking on the Cummins name to sell trucks, and it will help... but that front end, and grill is just flat out ugly.

The F150, a buddy is going to Detroit on Friday to the show, and will try to get some info. I am curious if the 3.5 Ecoboost will be an option in the aluminum body? or if the only motors will be the 3.5 normally aspirated or the new 2.7 V6 Ecoboost.? 700 pounds lighter with the 3.5 ecoboost the thing would fly.
    Be interesting to see if Ford is going to hang their hat on the gas motor for the F150 or if the 3.2 inline 5 powerstroke diesel will find it's way into the F150

Bigfoot good point as usual, under any kind of load, the gas motors would use fuel.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Ford is dropping their top of the line 6.2l engine, and according to their website the 3.5l ecoboost will now be their top of the line motor moving forward. I agree, that motor in a lighter truck would be smoking fast + the gas mileage should be much better. The thing that I question is would you really want a 700 pound lighter vehicle if your towing? I don't really like the idea of towing more then my tow vehicle weighs..

I have a buddy with a brand new 2014 2500HD getting 19 on the highway when empty, 14-15 around town. Much better then his Ford Raptor was getting!

http://www.ramtrucks.org/forum/25-ra...rt.html#post31

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    179 times
    That 2014 mileage for the 6.7 is good.

Had a guy drive into one of my driveways with a 2013 2500. We chatted and he showed me his lie-o-meter. It really did show 20.1 mpg. It was from kind of rural driving here in Florida in the 55 - 65 mph range for about 200 miles.

My only thought was maybe that urea (DEF) system does help over the old regeneration (spray diesel) system.

Links