Jake Brakes?

Jake Brakes?

This is a discussion on Jake Brakes? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Has anyone done any investigatin to see whether or not you can install an exhaust brake on the Ecodiesel? I would love having that instead ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jake Brakes?

Member #
    Liked
    25 times

Jake Brakes?

Has anyone done any investigatin to see whether or not you can install an exhaust brake on the Ecodiesel? I would love having that instead of having to down shift or use my brake pads excessively.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Laramie Ecodiesel
    Liked
    78 times
    That would be nice!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 ED
    Liked
    62 times
    It might be possible that some different programming could use the turbo for exhaust braking. Not sure how effective it would be on this setup but it would give some engine braking. It works on the cummins why not on this engine.
    2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 6'4"bed Air suspension, Ramboxes and other cool stuff Build date of 4/2/2014 Avg 24 MPG 52000miles and counting

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    538 times
    OK... there would be a "Cool" factor to it. But the reason it wasn't done from the factory is because these are light-duty trucks. The regular brakes should stop us just fine. Besides... the trans will shift aggressively while in "Tow-haul" mode... and it will drag your speed on long hills pretty good, without using the service brakes.
    Tony

First EcoDiesel:
    Ordered: 2/28, (2014) Built: 3/27, Delivered: 4/17. (7 weeks total)
    1500 ecodiesel, Bighorn, 4x4, Crew, 5'7" bed. Cherry red pearl

New EcoDiesel:
    Dealer Lot, 2016 Laramie, Blue, with everything other that air ride.

Member #
    Vehicle
    1999 Dodge 2500 5.9 Diesel, 2009 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel, 2014 4x4 Laramie EcoDiesel, Crew, 6'4" box
    Liked
    31 times
    The exhaust brake is one of the features I know that I will miss from my 2500. Theres nothing like coming down a long steep grade while towing and never have to touch the brakes. I doubt we'll ever see one built for the EcoD.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Bighorn
    Liked
    131 times
    For the amount of weight these trucks are rated to pull, I dout there will even be an engine brake designed for it

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    I'm with hillbilli, it's just not enough load (as spec'd out) to warrant anything over the truck's brakes. Hopefully supplemented by 'real' trailers with their own decent brakes but I know some smaller or homebuilts have no brakes.

Member #
    I have an exhaust brake on my motorhome and it works well. Having one on the ED would be interesting.

Member #
    This truck needs an exhaust brake. I live in the mountains in California and have smoked my brakes several times driving the moderately steep and twisting roads here. I had the truck in Tow/Haul mode and down shifted appropriately, even in 4 low and still there isn't enough engine braking to keep this truck under a decent speed. I really hope there is an after market answer to this problem soon. I can't even begin to think about towing a trailer in the mountains around here until a better braking option becomes available.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    464 times
    Trivia: Jake Brakes is a trademark of Jacobs Vehicle Systems and everybody else has to refer to their product as engine brakes or exhaust brakes. Shucks, there was once a country music artist who called his band Jake Brake and the All-Trucker Band. Jacobs sued him--after sending several cease and desist letters which were ignored--and won. He was interviewed about it in a trucking publication that I cannot remember and acknowledged that he received the letters and ignored them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links