Extended warranty / known problems

This is a discussion on Extended warranty / known problems within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Hey I'm sure there are 1000 discussions on the extended warranty but I'm at 35k miles so I need to make decision. 2014 - so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Extended warranty / known problems

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Laramie Longhorn
    Liked
    17 times

Hey I'm sure there are 1000 discussions on the extended warranty but I'm at 35k miles so I need to make decision.
    2014 - so far only issues I have had are leaks from sunroof and rear brake light when I first bought truck and more recently had the regeneration frequency cel and had sensors replaced.

So my question is what are the known issues I am definitely going to get? For example I used to have a Touareg TDI and it was known that around 60k-90k there was a drive shaft support bearing that failed in every one (same for Porsche Cayenne)

If there are 3-4K of issues I am going to have then I should buy. If not I may roll dice.

Appreciate any input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    3536 times
    Many here have over 100,000 miles on them. You still have coming up the rest of the 5 years/100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

My guess is that by 35,000 miles if something major was going to happen it would have by now. Add a GDE control module to reduce sooting in the EGR and soldier on.
    MAS likes this.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    377 times
    I'm of the school of thought that extended warranties are usually not in your best interests. Like Captainmal said, you have power train till 100k, you have the federal emissions warranty till 80k. In my mind those are the two major items to cover. Personally if it is still a viable option I'm going to delete my truck at the first emissions related problem outside of warranty.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Laramie Longhorn
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Many here have over 100,000 miles on them. You still have coming up the rest of the 5 years/100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

My guess is that by 35,000 miles if something major was going to happen it would have by now. Add a GDE control module to reduce sooting in the EGR and soldier on.
    Thanks. Which gde do you recommend? Does that not void warranty?

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    377 times
    Any GDE tune will technically void your warranty IF the dealer finds it. However claims and reports are that they are not finding them.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Laramie Longhorn
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    Any GDE tune will technically void your warranty IF the dealer finds it. However claims and reports are that they are not finding them.
    So when you go for any service you put old one back in?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 1500 Laramie CC SWB GDE Eco-diesel 4X4
    Liked
    484 times
    If you have a higher end truck with a lot of toys and most Laramie's do you may want to look into the bumper to bumper coverage. At a $100 deductible you can make the cost back very easily. If you are going to keep it for a long time I think it's cheep insurance. I have always made the cost back on the vehicles I have bought the coverage on.

As for the GDE I'm running the Eco tune not the Hot tune. Eco vs Hot tune (Hot tune has higher full-load output, higher allowable exhaust temps)
    mguzz71 likes this.
    2015 Ram Laramie Crew Cab, short box, 4X4, GDE Tune, western brown with canyon brown light frost beige W/BENCH SEAT, wheel to wheel bars, front windows tinted 15%, 8.4AN radio and more gadgets than I know what to do with!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Laramie Longhorn
    Liked
    17 times
    Thanks guys. Do you think the gde causes excess wear and tear on engine that could lead to failures? Faced with decision today of buying warranty, keeping truck without warranty and prob buying gde, and getting getting titan xd (reviews make this thing sound awful) or Denali duramax. Tough call. I wish I was more mechanically inclined

Member #
    Vehicle
    14 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    196 times
    I bought the extended warranty the day I bought the truck. New engine, new transmission, and more %^&^$%$ computers than you can shake a stick at. What if the fancy radio/EVIC dies? I'll bet it's at least $1,000. There are computers (sometimes called modules) for the following: Engine, Drive line includes transmission and transfer case, steering wheel, front doors, Body (may include lights, wipers, heating & cooling). There are probably more, but that's all I know about. That's my logic.
    Ordered 5/19/14; Delivered 7/10/14 (44 days) Laramie QC 4X4, bright white, buckets, 3.92,
    20" wheels trailer brake controller, convenience group, keyless entry, front and rear park-sense,
    remote start, CD player, chrome side moldings, anti-spin diff, Mopar soft toneau and dealer
    installed W/W side steps. Weathertech mud flaps and window visors; Timber Grove Enterprises air bags;
    Fuel cap from RSD.

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Laramie Eco ,98 2500 cummins, 05 vw tdi
    Liked
    319 times
    Electronic crap is what motivated me to purchase ext. warranty . The heater control for mother inlaws 83 New Yorker was 2400$ back in 88 , an entirely electronic POS .

Power steering mod, had that replaced 30 days old, the only actual part I have had replaced. It controls the electric steering rack . No more oil, I was out looking under the frt end for a puddle.
    Last edited by Davemd; 12-16-2016 at 12:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links