Winter Fronts - Page 2

Winter Fronts

This is a discussion on Winter Fronts within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; It is not necessary but nice to have. Anything under 0 degree f and it is really nice to have. No problems with the car ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Winter Fronts

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Bighorn
    Liked
    132 times
    It is not necessary but nice to have. Anything under 0 degree f and it is really nice to have. No problems with the car wash either, i always use the touch less in the winter. If you dont want to use the cover, you could insert a piece of cardboard or something between the active grill shutters and the CAC if you wanted to and remove it pretty easily to. I did that today because -20 sucks and im tired of the truck not getting past 170 degree. Sometimes those 4 holes in the cover is too much.
    2015 CC Bighorn w/air
    2014 CC Bighorn Gone
    2007 5.9 Cummins MegaCab (replaced by the ED)

Member #
    Vehicle
    Eco diesel 1500
    Liked
    558 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilli View Post
    It is not necessary but nice to have. Anything under 0 degree f and it is really nice to have. No problems with the car wash either, i always use the touch less in the winter. If you dont want to use the cover, you could insert a piece of cardboard or something between the active grill shutters and the CAC if you wanted to and remove it pretty easily to. I did that today because -20 sucks and im tired of the truck not getting past 170 degree. Sometimes those 4 holes in the cover is too much.
    Temperature here right now -15 Celsius which equals 5°F my truck running at 93°C which is 199°F I have no winter front on

what's up with that ??
    EcoD Truck with ZERO mods
    Nothing to brag about other than
    OEM NO TUNER '
    no funky mods
    Just drive it

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    972 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Davef View Post
    Temperature here right now -15 Celsius which equals 5°F my truck running at 93°C which is 199°F I have no winter front on

what's up with that ??
    Don't you normally run loaded with several hundred pounds in the bed and tow frequently? You also drive 2-3 times as many miles a year than most people.

Winter front makes a difference when your not working the truck. Everything warms up quicker and doesn't lose that heat when you slow down and/or stop.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    1286 times
    Down here in south Florida I seen the semi sod haulers will run partial winter fronts all the way till May , which temperatures could be 80-90f , now common sense comes into play ,as long as your not over heating or running it excessively hot , diesels love heat !!!! They burn cleaner and more fuel efficient, remember their combustion ignition, no spark plugs ,they rely on heat to fire off efficiently. Especially the short distance drivers as long as your not running it hot , you are not going to hurt it . Now you do have to make sure your electric fan isn't constantly running to compensate for your cover .
    Just pay a little attention to when the electric fan turns on vs driving distance.
    VernDiesel likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Eco diesel 1500
    Liked
    558 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash68 View Post
    Don't you normally run loaded with several hundred pounds in the bed and tow frequently? You also drive 2-3 times as many miles a year than most people.

Winter front makes a difference when your not working the truck. Everything warms up quicker and doesn't lose that heat when you slow down and/or stop.
    Yes I do carry weight and or a trailer a lot of the time
    However it does not make much difference to the temperature more than a few degrees
    I'm pretty sure my temperature record runs around 90 to 96°C most of the time although I don't sit and stare at gages worried about a few degrees or whatever
    EcoD Truck with ZERO mods
    Nothing to brag about other than
    OEM NO TUNER '
    no funky mods
    Just drive it

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    972 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Davef View Post
    Yes I do carry weight and or a trailer a lot of the time
    However it does not make much difference to the temperature more than a few degrees
    I'm pretty sure my temperature record runs around 90 to 96°C most of the time although I don't sit and stare at gages worried about a few degrees or whatever
    That is the point, your always giving your truck a workout, generating a bunch of heat. Not everyone drives as much loaded as you do, that why it doesn't make much difference for you using a winter front.
    Running unloaded, staying under 65 mph in 10°F(-12°C) weather with a winter front makes a big difference.
    CDNLaramie likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    The Ram 1500 is the first truck to use an active grille shutter system (similar to the one on Dart), closing airflow through the grille when cooling is not needed. It increases gas mileage by 0.5%, cuts drag roughly 4%, and cuts warm-up time/defrost time. The computer closes the shutters when cooling is not needed.
    Dave Sowers pointed out that the active shutters was normally either fully open or fully closed. When closed, air pressure quickly builds up in front of the slats, deflecting oncoming air over the truck, which has the lowest drag coefficient of any pickup on the market. At all times, there’s airflow over the radiator from other openings. The idea was to avoid drag from radiator capacity which is seldom needed, while still being able to cool the engine under any reasonable conditions. (He also said that riding with the tailgate down increases drag, while a tonneau cover makes the truck much more aerodynamic.)
    Davef likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    333 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursle View Post
    The Ram 1500 is the first truck to use an active grille shutter system (similar to the one on Dart), closing airflow through the grille when cooling is not needed. It increases gas mileage by 0.5%, cuts drag roughly 4%, and cuts warm-up time/defrost time. The computer closes the shutters when cooling is not needed.
    Dave Sowers pointed out that the active shutters was normally either fully open or fully closed. When closed, air pressure quickly builds up in front of the slats, deflecting oncoming air over the truck, which has the lowest drag coefficient of any pickup on the market. At all times, there’s airflow over the radiator from other openings. The idea was to avoid drag from radiator capacity which is seldom needed, while still being able to cool the engine under any reasonable conditions. (He also said that riding with the tailgate down increases drag, while a tonneau cover makes the truck much more aerodynamic.)
    And that is why I thought only covering the bottom where there is no active shutter was a good idea. Let the truck control the temperature. Unfortunately my truck doesn't get the work out these ones require with many very short cold trips in the winter. I have noticed much faster warm ups for my very short trips by covering the bottom grills and plugging in. When the truck is on a long hard haul it doesn't matter. Just me but I've never had any luck with "Car Bras". I'm skilled at getting them off just can't put them on
    Tom
    2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Longhorn Crew 4x4, 5'7" box Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl with Lower Gold Two Tone Paint
    Black/Tan Leather, Air Suspension, Rear Window Defrost, No Slip Dif, Tow and Convenience Group, Ram Box, Tri Fold Cover.
    Order May 1, 2014 / Build May 15, 2014 / Completed May 29, 2014 and Shipped / Delivered June 18, 2014.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ram eco diesel. 2012 Chevy equinox. 2000 f250 7.3 diesel. 1988 mustang gt. 1987 mustang drag c
    Liked
    10 times
    Put mine on this year thought it may help the slow warm up

Member #
    Vehicle
    Rams to many to list
    Liked
    756 times
    The myths still going strong at this Site....HPCR do NOT like, need or want excessive intake heat.... all these coolant temps are regulated in the 3.0. NOT 1 mention of the intake temps in this thread, or the 100+ others at this site. Your coolant valve will regulate and distribute the volume necessary to control TRANS,OIL,COOLANT EGR temps. the cooler the intake air the more efficient combustion on all HPCR diesel engines....if you want to run the OE WF go for it in temps above 0F, thinking the coolant temps have any benefit on input to the engines operation is foolish.

Intake Heat kills combustion on any bluetech motor, it increase the flame temp = more NOx more soot and less HP = less MPG ,ALL IN THE NAME OF WHAT!!!!! HOTTER COOLANT TEMPS, the EGR chamber can easily boil the coolant ( its capable of 300+F exhaust heat) the heat needs to be cooled in the process the heat warms the coolant. the coolant is also used to exchange heat Oil/trans Fluid.....

decades back Diesels need additional heat to ad combustion in aspirated engines, HPCR system controls injection(s) events More heat is generated by TDC timing. the hotter the intake air, the system will retard timing generating less heat to lower the flame and NOx soot. IGU.

Your truck, Your money. Your choices.
    Ursle, Davef, ncgrl1 and 1 others like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links