Winter Fronts - Page 3

Winter Fronts

This is a discussion on Winter Fronts within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Originally Posted by Crash68 That is the point, your always giving your truck a workout, generating a bunch of heat. Not everyone drives as much ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Winter Fronts

Member #
    Vehicle
    Eco diesel 1500
    Liked
    624 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash68 View Post
    That is the point, your always giving your truck a workout, generating a bunch of heat. Not everyone drives as much loaded as you do, that why it doesn't make much difference for you using a winter front.
    Running unloaded, staying under 65 mph in 10°F(-12°C) weather with a winter front makes a big difference.

You are incorrect on a few points
    I drive my truck empty lots and loaded less
    And loaded with 200 to 500 pounds even 1000 pounds really does nothing for the operating temperature of the engine
    Ironically enough I didn't video this morning driving at 61 mph guess what my temperatures were around 90 to 95°C approximately it moves up and down controlled by the shutters and the engine thermostat But I'm probably sure that you already knew and understood how this works
    By the way the truck was empty and with half a tank of fuel but I did have about 200 pounds of junk in the backseat that changes the operative temperature
    Try to get around to making a video and posted the link later
    EcoD Truck with ZERO mods
    Nothing to brag about other than
    OEM NO TUNER '
    no funky mods
    Just drive it

Member #
    Vehicle
    Eco diesel 1500
    Liked
    624 times
    That is the point, your always giving your truck a workout, generating a bunch of heat. Not everyone drives as much loaded as you do, that why it doesn't make much difference for you using a winter front.
    Running unloaded, staying under 65 mph in 10°F(-12°C) weather with a winter front makes a big difference.
    OK here is a quick video I made this morning my truck was empty temperature still work fine without any winter front on?? How's that possible??

You take a look and let me know . By the way I did a bunch of videos I just wanted to post this one for you people to see what I see

OEM NO TUNER '
    no funky mods
    Just drive it

Member #
    Vehicle
    Rams to many to list
    Liked
    837 times
    So what was your cylinder Temps... the only way to know this is by installing additional thermocouples on each side of the exhaust manifolds....Do you have additional sensors that are NOT mutilated by the OP of the truck, If you go by what the EVIC your spreading lies, the only correct one is coolant temps.

What does GVW have to do with anything, we are talking bare truck.

Operating temps of what? Coolant temps have very little input on combustion ,if you want the possibility of shatter / Cracked rings Piston damage, warped and drop valve(s) run that WF in temps Above 20F. like I've said many times -0 temps are OK but its not mandatory.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 EcoD Quadcab 4x4
    Liked
    232 times
    ,if you want the possibility of shatter / Cracked rings Piston damage, warped and drop valve(s) run that WF in temps Above 20F. like I've said many times -0 temps are OK but its not mandatory.

What? You can't be serious.
    CDNLaramie likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Rams to many to list
    Liked
    837 times
    Yes... I am very serious, I've seen 1500F on My manifolds couplers, this was last March and during the summer of course, that's darn hot, if you want to choke your 3.0 to death GFI. I was shocked at those temps so I installed another on the other side, I drilled and tapped the ports when I lifted My cab.

You can do WTH you want, You will never see Me cover my entire front with that POS OE WF unless its -0 , I have no problem with inserts. Last NOV it was 38F I seen two EDs driving with that OE WF its probably OK just put'en around town , but take it on the HWY for any length of time and you will be passing 200/300+ intake air. I don't think anyone on this site or poster has any idea how hot that intake air gets on the compression side of the blower. Does anyone know what drive pressure(s) (ratio) the 3.0 runs on OE OP?.....

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    1186 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TCDiesel View Post
    HPCR do NOT like, need or want excessive intake heat.... all these coolant temps are regulated in the 3.0. NOT 1 mention of the intake temps in this thread, or the 100+ others at this site. Your coolant valve will regulate and distribute the volume necessary to control TRANS,OIL,COOLANT EGR temps. the cooler the intake air the more efficient combustion on all HPCR diesel engines....if you want to run the OE WF go for it in temps above 0F, thinking the coolant temps have any benefit on input to the engines operation is foolish.
    TC, Completely agree with you, too much heat isn't a good thing. The winter front is more in line for holding the heat that there. A lot less drop off where your not motoring down the road or get back up to temp in short trips. These engines like to run right around designed operating temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Davef View Post
    You are incorrect on a few points
    Dave, You have some stones to say someone else is incorrect when you yourself have open stated on multiple occasions that you haven't used the winter front, so how could you know the difference?
    Watch what happens when you drive in stop and go traffic, make several stops at stores while shopping. If you think that not running a winter front doesn't make a difference in those situations getting the truck up to operating temps, I don't have to say it, anyone that has run both knows.
    Last edited by Crash68; 01-07-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    CDNLaramie likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Rams to many to list
    Liked
    837 times
    X2 with Crash68,, All I'm saying is in 0+ temps use caution. and its best to error on being causes.
    Crash68 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 EcoD Quadcab 4x4
    Liked
    232 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TCDiesel View Post
    Yes... I am very serious, I've seen 1500F on My manifolds couplers, this was last March and during the summer of course, that's darn hot, if you want to choke your 3.0 to death GFI. I was shocked at those temps so I installed another on the other side, I drilled and tapped the ports when I lifted My cab.

You can do WTH you want, You will never see Me cover my entire front with that POS OE WF unless its -0 , I have no problem with inserts. Last NOV it was 38F I seen two EDs driving with that OE WF its probably OK just put'en around town , but take it on the HWY for any length of time and you will be passing 200/300+ intake air. I don't think anyone on this site or poster has any idea how hot that intake air gets on the compression side of the blower. Does anyone know what drive pressure(s) (ratio) the 3.0 runs on OE OP?.....
    Ok, misunderstood, I use the inserts but haven't installed the lower baffles and probably won't.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Eco diesel 1500
    Liked
    624 times
    TC, Completely agree with you, too much heat isn't a good thing. The winter front is more in line for holding the heat that there. A lot less drop off where your not motoring down the road or get back up to temp in short trips. These engines like to run right around designed operating temperatures.

Dave, You have some stones to say someone else is incorrect when you yourself have open stated on multiple occasions that you haven't used the winter front, so how could you know the difference?
    Watch what happens when you drive in stop and go traffic, make several stops at stores while shopping. If you think that not running a winter front doesn't make a difference in those situations getting the truck up to operating temps, I don't have to say it, anyone that has run both knows.
    As you see from the video of the opera chapters move up rather quickly and hold 90 to 96°C this is a automobile/truck engine does not do you need to have a baby blanket wrapped around it unless of course you're ambient temperature is below -15 Celsius all the time extra heat does nothing for this engine other than hurt it
    OEM NO TUNER '
    no funky mods
    Just drive it

Member #
    Vehicle
    Rams to many to list
    Liked
    837 times
    I like the baby Blanket comment Heeeeheee that's a good way to put it.... DaveF just created a New Saying You wrap your ED with a Baby Blanket...........

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links