Winter Fronts - Page 4

Winter Fronts

This is a discussion on Winter Fronts within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I do and it looks so goooooooooood....... Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Winter Fronts

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel BigHorn
    Liked
    252 times
    I do and it looks so goooooooooood.......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    97hmcs, CDNLaramie and MadMack like this.

Member #
    Liked
    276 times
    The sole purpose of the WF recall, was to stop the cold air intake from picking up to much moisture from winter blizzard snow debris conditions.
    Otherwise more trucks would go into limp mode from throttle failure codes!

WF will help with realy cold windy climates, but not good for anything above freezing.

Thxs
    Davef likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Eco diesel 1500
    Liked
    557 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Icanfixit View Post
    The sole purpose of the WF recall, was to stop the cold air intake from picking up to much moisture from winter blizzard snow debris conditions.
    Otherwise more trucks would go into limp mode from throttle failure codes!

WF will help with realy cold windy climates, but not good for anything above freezing.

Thxs
    I was waiting for someone to bring this up.
    EcoD Truck with ZERO mods
    Nothing to brag about other than
    OEM NO TUNER '
    no funky mods
    Just drive it

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ED Laramie, 355 Diff ,ARE Cap, pull me over first Red
    Liked
    99 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Davef View Post
    OK here is a quick video I made this morning my truck was empty temperature still work fine without any winter front on?? How's that possible??

You take a look and let me know . By the way I did a bunch of videos I just wanted to post this one for you people to see what I see

Whats up with that fuel gauge? Looks like its off center.....?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 4x4 Laramie longbox crewcab
    Liked
    454 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Davef View Post
    OK here is a quick video I made this morning my truck was empty temperature still work fine without any winter front on?? How's that possible??

You take a look and let me know . By the way I did a bunch of videos I just wanted to post this one for you people to see what I see

Looks pretty normal to me. I don't run a winter front, and my truck runs about 200F for coolant, about 175-180F for trans, and about 204F for oil. That's what I see for my roughly 1 hour commute to work on the interstate. Sure, it takes 10-15 miles to get up to temp... Hauling a bed full of air, wait, I've got a small toolbox and a jug of washer fluid back there.

That said, where the winter front would be handy is for keeping some heat in there when idling the 1/4 mile on the offramp or sitting at stop light after exiting the freeway; temps plummet when the load is taken off the engine.
    2014 4x4 Laramie Crewcab, Longbox, 3.55, every option except RamBoxes and parking sensors.
    1A Auto power folding tow mirrors, Mopar wheel to wheel bars, Access Lorado tonneau cover
    Weathertech floormats & mudflaps, TrailFX hood protector, Edge Insight CTS, GDE Hot Tune

Member #
    Vehicle
    Rams to many to list
    Liked
    756 times
    What the 3.0 really needs is turbo Brake engagement Like Cummins and others have , this will raise the idle exhaust temps 200-300F the additional heat will be sent to the EGR coolant chamber and the heat exchanged with coolant and distributed to OIL/Fluids.

I was hoping Bank's was working on this , No news on it, BD has the ramp Idle device.

My turbo brake does engage when cold but it either times out or is set for 100F coolant temps, My guess Ram figured some Ma and Pa owners wouldn't be able to figure it out so the feature NOT available.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I have been going back and forth on this cover for a while mostly for cosmetic reasons like scratches. I know a lot of you live in areas that get into the negatives so the Long Island "storm" and temps in the teens are prob nothing to you but I had the cover off driving in thick snow fall and the truck was a beast I don't think I'll be putting it on ever again.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ED Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab
    Liked
    13 times
    Just in case anyone in wondering, here is an ebay link

13-17 DODGE RAM 1500 RADIATOR GRILLE ACTIVE SHUTTER RETAINING CLIP SET/ 4 MOPAR | eBay
    (68213168AA)
    to the clips that hold the grille on the front of the truck.

I tried to get them off, and was not very successful. figured I'd post info if anyone needs to order some like i had too. /derp
    2015 Charcoal Laramie ED 4x4 Crew Cab
    Previous - 2003 GMC Sierra 5.3L Reg cab 2x4 - 122K miles

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ED Outdoorsman
    Liked
    203 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TCDiesel View Post
    The myths still going strong at this Site....HPCR do NOT like, need or want excessive intake heat.... all these coolant temps are regulated in the 3.0. NOT 1 mention of the intake temps in this thread, or the 100+ others at this site. Your coolant valve will regulate and distribute the volume necessary to control TRANS,OIL,COOLANT EGR temps. the cooler the intake air the more efficient combustion on all HPCR diesel engines....if you want to run the OE WF go for it in temps above 0F, thinking the coolant temps have any benefit on input to the engines operation is foolish.

Intake Heat kills combustion on any bluetech motor, it increase the flame temp = more NOx more soot and less HP = less MPG ,ALL IN THE NAME OF WHAT!!!!! HOTTER COOLANT TEMPS, the EGR chamber can easily boil the coolant ( its capable of 300+F exhaust heat) the heat needs to be cooled in the process the heat warms the coolant. the coolant is also used to exchange heat Oil/trans Fluid.....

decades back Diesels need additional heat to ad combustion in aspirated engines, HPCR system controls injection(s) events More heat is generated by TDC timing. the hotter the intake air, the system will retard timing generating less heat to lower the flame and NOx soot. IGU.

Your truck, Your money. Your choices.
    So TC, I just want to understand your message here in regard to my situation. I live in the Front Range of CO and we have wild temperature swings down here (0F to 45F sometimes in the same day). I frequently drive into the mountains with colder temps while it is snowing sometime driving uphill for long streches of time 1-2 hours of continuous climbing or conversely continuous descending.

From what you write, if I use the OE WF with the 4 square openings, I could be hurting the truck and mileage due to higher intake temps, correct? However I could be helping my self due to keeping moisture out of turbo??

So given this set of parameters (and I don't want to put the WF on and off more than once a season) would you put it on at all for snow/moisture protection or leave it off?
    2015 Outdoorsman Prairie Pearl, 3.92 Gears, 17" Wheels LT tires, 8.4AN, Remote start, air suspension, RollX tonneau cover.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Rams to many to list
    Liked
    756 times
    The Inserts.. or leave off... conditions you described 0- temps put the OE WF or inserts, OE WF on and remove when temps 10+, I'm not buying into that moisture BS.. here's a picture what happen when snow hit air filters
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter Fronts-plugged-filter-snow.jpg  
    Crash68 likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsored Links