Winter Fronts

Winter Fronts

This is a discussion on Winter Fronts within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; How many of you in cold regions are actually using your cold weather fronts? I put mine on for the first time this week (I've ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Winter Fronts

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Laramie Longhorn ED
    Liked
    51 times

Winter Fronts

How many of you in cold regions are actually using your cold weather fronts? I put mine on for the first time this week (I've had my truck since July of '14, so this is my third winter with it) due to below zero F temps being predicted. I did not have problems at all during the my first two winters with my ED. True, the truck takes longer to warm up and I've seen my oil and coolant temps drop 5 to 7 degrees F at long stop lights, but I never had any issues.

With the front on, I'm seeing oil and coolant temps about 5 degrees F higher than with it off in temps ranging from -10F to +23F. I also saw my oil temp climb to 224F today on a long hill up Interstate 25.

My only issue with the winter front is what to do with it when it gets dirty (from spray, slush, and winter grime). I can't hose it off in the driveway (hoses are frozen) and the manual says to take it off before washing the truck. It's also a serious pain to get on. I did not receive the plastic tool with mine to push the bottom pads in between the bumper and grill. I ended up folding a wash cloth over a small pry bar and gently using that to spread the grill and bumper far enough apart to push the pads in by hand. Finally, we often get mornings well below freezing to below zero F and then have it warm up into the 40s F during the day. I don't want to have to pull the dirty winter front off for my drive home, the put it back on before leaving for work the following morning.

Comments?

Dave

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie 4x4 ecodiesel
    Liked
    23 times
    It's been sub 0 f here the last few days. I've been plugging the truck in and letting it warm up longer than normal. I don't have a winter cover and haven't noticed any issues. At this point I'm just happy it hasn't been throwing any codes. You could buy the metal ones posted in other threads they are supposed to be much easier to install and remove. Me being half cheap I'm thinking of making my own. Theres really nothing to them.
    DavidG likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 CCSB bighorn Eco
    Liked
    565 times
    I take my truck through the car wash with it on every other day right through the winter. No issues.
    DavidG likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    1180 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
    we often get mornings well below freezing to below zero F and then have it warm up into the 40s F during the day.
    almost sounds like here in MI, single digit temps in the morning, and 50°F in the afternoon..
    I too didn't like having to take the OEM winter front on/off. Even bought a rubber window wedge to help but it's still a pain.
    I bought the stainless steel winter front from Precision Design in Canada. They look better, can run through a car wash with them on and easier on/off.
    A couple of threads on them:
    Precision Grille Inserts
    Precision Design Winter Grill Inserts - $210 US Dollars???
    Last edited by Crash68; 01-06-2017 at 04:51 PM.
    DavidG and CDNLaramie like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Crew Cab Big Horn Ecodiesel 3:55 rear end Luxury Group, Convenience Group,
    Liked
    54 times
    I have the Fia winter front and I installed the metal snaps into the front grill, so you can install it in a matter of seconds for those afternoons in the high 30's to low 40's.Winter Fronts-image.jpeg
    I find that my temps increase 10-12 degrees with it on. My distance between regens increases when it's on also.
    DavidG likes this.

Buy Union! Buy American made!

Member #
    Vehicle
    Eco diesel 1500
    Liked
    623 times
    How many of you in cold regions are actually using your cold weather fronts? I put mine on for the first time this week (I've had my truck since July of '14, so this is my third winter with it) due to below zero F temps being predicted. I did not have problems at all during the my first two winters with my ED. True, the truck takes longer to warm up and I've seen my oil and coolant temps drop 5 to 7 degrees F at long stop lights, but I never had any issues.

With the front on, I'm seeing oil and coolant temps about 5 degrees F higher than with it off in temps ranging from -10F to +23F. I also saw my oil temp climb to 224F today on a long hill up Interstate 25.

My only issue with the winter front is what to do with it when it gets dirty (from spray, slush, and winter grime). I can't hose it off in the driveway (hoses are frozen) and the manual says to take it off before washing the truck. It's also a serious pain to get on. I did not receive the plastic tool with mine to push the bottom pads in between the bumper and grill. I ended up folding a wash cloth over a small pry bar and gently using that to spread the grill and bumper far enough apart to push the pads in by hand. Finally, we often get mornings well below freezing to below zero F and then have it warm up into the 40s F during the day. I don't want to have to pull the dirty winter front off for my drive home, the put it back on before leaving for work the following morning.

Comments?

Dave
    Honestly I would not say these are necessarily needed
    Sure if you want to believe they are great but unless you're running -15 Celsius or less all the time forget about it
    DavidG likes this.
    EcoD Truck with ZERO mods
    Nothing to brag about other than
    OEM NO TUNER '
    no funky mods
    Just drive it

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    51 times
    I looked at that website Crash68, but they didn't list a winter front for a Laramie Longhorn.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Crash68 View Post
    almost sounds like here in MI, single digit temps in the morning, and 50°F in the afternoon..
    I too didn't like having to take the OEM winter front on/off. Even bought a rubber window wedge to help but it's still a pain.
    I bought the stainless steel winter front from Precision Design in Canada. They look better, can run through a car wash with them on and easier on/off.
    A couple of threads on them:
    Precision Grille Inserts
    Precision Design Winter Grill Inserts - $210 US Dollars???

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    1180 times
    I looked at that website Crash68, but they didn't list a winter front for a Laramie Longhorn.

Is this the grill you have? (thank you DataRider for the pic)
    I have the same grill, here is the part number: https://www.precisioncanada.com/truc...partnum=371759
    It states the year is 13-14 but same grill is used on all the way up to '16
    DavidG and DataRider like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel BigHorn
    Liked
    282 times
    I run my cover when temps will be 20°F or below for several days or longer. This winter, in my part of Ohio, it has been really up and down so the cover has been on/off a few times already. I have the OEM cover, and find it's not that difficult to put on. Just use your body weight to push down on the bumper cap and the anchors slide right in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    DavidG likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    51 times
    Yes, that's my grill. Guess I didn't look at their website closely enough.

I plan to take my front off tomorrow as we're supposed to be in the 40s and 50s this weekend. Of my 50-mile commute, the first three miles (through the neighborhood) are at 30 mph; the rest is 55 to 75 with lights thrown in on the 55 portion. I think, at highway speeds and accelerating to 55 from stop lights, I really don't need a winter front as the engine is working pretty well. I doubt I put it back on.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Crash68 View Post

Is this the grill you have? (thank you DataRider for the pic)
    I have the same grill, here is the part number: https://www.precisioncanada.com/truc...partnum=371759
    It states the year is 13-14 but same grill is used on all the way up to '16

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links