4WD Auto, Winter blend and MPG - Page 2

4WD Auto, Winter blend and MPG

This is a discussion on 4WD Auto, Winter blend and MPG within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I used 4 auto and 4 lock a lot last year but since I've put blizzaks on the truck I've been using 2 wheel drive ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 4WD Auto, Winter blend and MPG

Member #
    Vehicle
    ecodiesel laramie
    Liked
    54 times
    I used 4 auto and 4 lock a lot last year but since I've put blizzaks on the truck I've been using 2 wheel drive mostly this year with absolutely no problems. 273557
    howie12 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie ED CC, 6'4", Delmonico Red
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyler View Post
    Saturday I drove from MD to southern NH pulling a 16' U-Haul. We got caught in that East Coast blizzard in CT and saw the huge pile-up.
    If you don't mind me asking, where in NH were you headed?

I drove down to Southern NH (Nashua) Saturday afternoon and was surprised to see the amount of snow accumulating. 40 miles North we only had a dusting. I put it in 4Auto and had no issues. Stock tires too.

I'm assuming you fueled up somewhere in NH or Mass. Could it be the fuel we have is a different blend and that affected your MPG? The past few weeks with light 4Auto or 4Lock usage I've been averaging around 25mpg. I keep it at 65 though. Haven't towed yet with the colder weather either.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 RAM 1500 ED BigHorn (Bright Red)
    Liked
    33 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimanok2 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, where in NH were you headed?

I drove down to Southern NH (Nashua) Saturday afternoon and was surprised to see the amount of snow accumulating. 40 miles North we only had a dusting. I put it in 4Auto and had no issues. Stock tires too.

I'm assuming you fueled up somewhere in NH or Mass. Could it be the fuel we have is a different blend and that affected your MPG? The past few weeks with light 4Auto or 4Lock usage I've been averaging around 25mpg. I keep it at 65 though. Haven't towed yet with the colder weather either.
    I was in Milton. Bought one tank in CT on the way up and the other in western MA on the way out
    Ken
    '16 RAM 1500 ED Bighorn 4x4 - the sexy bright red one
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk?

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 1500 Laramie CC SWB GDE Eco-diesel 4X4
    Liked
    495 times
    4W/Auto is the same as AWD in that the front axles are engaged just not the front output shaft of the transfer case. I never run it because if I feel it is bad enough to warrant 4W/Auto then I would rather just have it in full 4 Lock. That way if I need to "drive through" a problem I don't have to wait for the case to detect the slippage and lock the output shaft in. You are half way there in auto why not just run 4 Lock? Then add in the winter blend, towing and any head wind and yep piss poor mileage.
    97hmcs likes this.
    2015 Ram Laramie Crew Cab, short box, 4X4, GDE Tune, western brown with canyon brown light frost beige W/BENCH SEAT, wheel to wheel bars, front windows tinted 15%, 8.4AN radio and more gadgets than I know what to do with!

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram Eco Diesel
    Liked
    37 times
    [QUOTE=Perrysburg Dodgeboy;410186]then I would rather just have it in full 4 Lock. QUOTE]

Seems like my truck needs to slip first in "4WD lock" as well before the fronts grab? I was checking that out the other day (head out window) and was confused at what the difference even was between the two modes. I've been playin in the snow a lot lately wandering what it is I don't like about the 4wd. First it seems to slow itself down on my way up a snowy hillside, which is my driveway of the last 12 or 13 years (so I know good and bad 4wd). I need the speed in the slick snow to make it up (sometimes) and it seems to choke itself out somehow. Second was the slipping rear constantly no matter the mode, mostly on takeoff. 3rd was: I ran it and a family members truck side by side one day and my ram wouldn't pull up to save itself compared to a '02 tundra w/ big foot tires. What am I missing w/ how the 4wd works?
    I won't even compare it to the wifes rav4 limited as it is pretty much unstoppable no matter what and that's not fair. It comes up the drive like its not there no matter what, its a snow and ice machine.
    Last edited by DSH1776; 01-09-2017 at 11:28 PM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    1125 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DSH1776 View Post
    Seems like my truck needs to slip first in "4WD lock" as well before the fronts grab? I was checking that out the other day (head out window) and was confused at what the difference even was between the two modes.
    That's exactly what is happening. With the BW 44-44, the truck has to detect wheel slippage before the clutch that drives the front drive is engaged.
    Supposedly in 4X4 Lock, the fronts are supposed to engage quicker and more aggressively than when in "Auto 4X4"
    borntoarrest and Thermorex like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 1500 Laramie CC SWB GDE Eco-diesel 4X4
    Liked
    495 times
    [QUOTE=DSH1776;410266]
    Quote Originally Posted by Perrysburg Dodgeboy View Post
    then I would rather just have it in full 4 Lock. QUOTE]

Seems like my truck needs to slip first in "4WD lock" as well before the fronts grab? I was checking that out the other day (head out window) and was confused at what the difference even was between the two modes. I've been playin in the snow a lot lately wandering what it is I don't like about the 4wd. First it seems to slow itself down on my way up a snowy hillside, which is my driveway of the last 12 or 13 years (so I know good and bad 4wd). I need the speed in the slick snow to make it up (sometimes) and it seems to choke itself out somehow. Second was the slipping rear constantly no matter the mode, mostly on takeoff. 3rd was: I ran it and a family members truck side by side one day and my ram wouldn't pull up to save itself compared to a '02 tundra w/ big foot tires. What am I missing w/ how the 4wd works?
    I won't even compare it to the wifes rav4 limited as it is pretty much unstoppable no matter what and that's not fair. It comes up the drive like its not there no matter what, its a snow and ice machine.
    That's weird because I only had my truck a short time when I pulled a guy with a new f-150 FX4 out of the snowed in parking lot he thought he was going to play in HAHAHA
    2015 Ram Laramie Crew Cab, short box, 4X4, GDE Tune, western brown with canyon brown light frost beige W/BENCH SEAT, wheel to wheel bars, front windows tinted 15%, 8.4AN radio and more gadgets than I know what to do with!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie Crew ED with 6'4 RAMbox
    Liked
    100 times
    [QUOTE=DSH1776;410266]
    Quote Originally Posted by Perrysburg Dodgeboy View Post
    then I would rather just have it in full 4 Lock. QUOTE]

What are you running for tires? I have Blizzaks on all my vehicles and they will only stop when the snow is deep enough to start floating the vehicle. If the wheels are still on the ground, typically I can keep moving....There really is absolutely no comparison between all seasons and snowflake rated tires and the 4WD system will be inconsequential in the end between the 2.
    "Run silent, run deep"

2016 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4 Laramie 6'4 Rambox with 3:92 Rear - Air Suspension - All Packages - NAV - AntiSpin - Sunroof - G2 BackFlip
    2015 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD
    2012 Volvo S60 T6 AWD

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie Crew ED with 6'4 RAMbox
    Liked
    100 times
    Hey Crash,

I still don't believe that when you put it in 4WD Lock that you are not actually locking the center clutch. I am going to get out the GoPro and suction mount one of these days to try to validate. My property right now is covered in about a foot and a half of light snow with pure ice underneath so I will to try to replicate the videos others have posted with my 2016.

[QUOTE=Crash68;410274]That's exactly what is happening. With the BW 44
    "Run silent, run deep"

2016 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4 Laramie 6'4 Rambox with 3:92 Rear - Air Suspension - All Packages - NAV - AntiSpin - Sunroof - G2 BackFlip
    2015 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD
    2012 Volvo S60 T6 AWD

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    1125 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MacRAM View Post
    I still don't believe that when you put it in 4WD Lock that you are not actually locking the center clutch.
    The clutch that engages is inside the 44-44 transfer case, it's after the gear reduction, on the output to the front wheels. Your front axle disconnect still gets engaged when 4X4 is selected IIRC, there is a company(Rockland Standard gear, I think) that makes conversion kit but haven't found too much out about it.
    Luckily for me I have the 44-45, it doesn't have the clutch that drives the front wheels.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links