4WD Auto, Winter blend and MPG - Page 3

4WD Auto, Winter blend and MPG

This is a discussion on 4WD Auto, Winter blend and MPG within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; [QUOTE=MacRAM;410681]Hey Crash, I still don't believe that when you put it in 4WD Lock that you are not actually locking the center clutch. I am ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 4WD Auto, Winter blend and MPG

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2342 times
    [QUOTE=MacRAM;410681]Hey Crash,

I still don't believe that when you put it in 4WD Lock that you are not actually locking the center clutch. I am going to get out the GoPro and suction mount one of these days to try to validate. My property right now is covered in about a foot and a half of light snow with pure ice underneath so I will to try to replicate the videos others have posted with my 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash68 View Post
    That's exactly what is happening. With the BW 44
    The 44-44 transfer case still uses the clutch pack in the TC when in 4WD Lock. It does not fully lock like the 44-45 TC. It will maximize torque to the front axle though.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie CC ED Max Steel
    Liked
    82 times
    The clutch that engages is inside the 44-44 transfer case, it's after the gear reduction, on the output to the front wheels. Your front axle disconnect still gets engaged when 4X4 is selected IIRC, there is a company(Rockland Standard gear, I think) that makes conversion kit but haven't found too much out about it.
    Luckily for me I have the 44-45, it doesn't have the clutch that drives the front wheels.
    I still don't believe that when you put it in 4WD Lock that you are not actually locking the center clutch. I am going to get out the GoPro and suction mount one of these days to try to validate. My property right now is covered in about a foot and a half of light snow with pure ice underneath so I will to try to replicate the videos others have posted with my 2016
    This is correct - no mechanical difference between 4 auto and 4 lock. The only difference is the aggresiveness of the clutch activation. Front axle is engaged in either, but the clutch is never fully activated...only does so under rear wheel slippage. It will stay locked as long until you let off the accelerator.

You can test this by lifting a single front tire and spinning the front driveshaft by hand.

The front shaft is still driven by a chain, the clutch is located on the main shaft right before the rear driveshaft output. You can see the single wire going to it on the back of the transfer case.
    Air Suspension Link lift, Colormatched grill/mirror caps, Blacked out Chrome, GDE Hot Tune

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Longhorn Ecodiesel
    Liked
    3 times
    Last August I was leaving the Bonneville Salt Flats headed back home (east) and decided to check my mileage at high speed. I was pulling a large enclosed motorcycle trailer with a Longhorn Eco 4x4. I put the cruise on 80 and never touched the brakes, or really even had to turn much. I drove eighty miles in 1 hour 37 seconds and averaged 79 mph and got 15.1 mpg. For the entire trip out there I averaged 16.7 mpg and did 68 mph over 1636 miles. Lots of wind and mountains between Little Rock and Bonneville. My best ever was driving 65 across lower Alabama to south Georgia and got 28 mpg for the trip doing about 65 - 70 for the trip.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2342 times
    Same transfer case, two different results.

Positive

Negative

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    1057 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    Same transfer case, two different results.
    I wonder if the "issue" with the 44-44 transfer case is amplified by having the Anti-Spin rear differential?
    The positive video doesn't show if the driver's side tire is spinning. It also leads to the question, why is or isn't front wheel speed included in determining if the transfer case needs to be locked up?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2342 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash68 View Post
    I wonder if the "issue" with the 44-44 transfer case is amplified by having the Anti-Spin rear differential?
    The positive video doesn't show if the driver's side tire is spinning. It also leads to the question, why is or isn't front wheel speed included in determining if the transfer case needs to be locked up?
    Good questions, Crash.
    Crash68 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie CC ED Max Steel
    Liked
    82 times
    There also seems to be some differences in the clutch pack tolerances. There are even some spacers from Ram (or maybe BW) to tighten up the clutch some.
    Air Suspension Link lift, Colormatched grill/mirror caps, Blacked out Chrome, GDE Hot Tune

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie Crew ED with 6'4 RAMbox
    Liked
    99 times
    So my truck appears to be locked as I ran it up against a hill with ice in 4wd lock and it spins the front at idle. I have the anti-spin rear and it makes it hard to get out as the truck wants to move back and forth with the rear. The anti-spin actually works well so far. I will post some video when I can get someone on the outside to film it.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    "Run silent, run deep"

2016 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4 Laramie 6'4 Rambox - Air Suspension - All Packages - NAV - AntiSpin - Sunroof - G2 BackFlip
    2015 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD
    2012 Volvo S60 T6 AWD

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 1500 Laramie CC SWB GDE Eco-diesel 4X4
    Liked
    484 times
    Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus seem great so far.
    2015 Ram Laramie Crew Cab, short box, 4X4, GDE Tune, western brown with canyon brown light frost beige W/BENCH SEAT, wheel to wheel bars, front windows tinted 15%, 8.4AN radio and more gadgets than I know what to do with!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links