4WD Auto, Winter blend and MPG

This is a discussion on 4WD Auto, Winter blend and MPG within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Saturday I drove from MD to southern NH pulling a 16' U-Haul. We got caught in that East Coast blizzard in CT and saw the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 4WD Auto, Winter blend and MPG

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 RAM 1500 ED BigHorn (Bright Red)
    Liked
    36 times

Saturday I drove from MD to southern NH pulling a 16' U-Haul. We got caught in that East Coast blizzard in CT and saw the huge pile-up. Fortunately I was north-bound and only caught up in the gawd-awful rubber necking. I didn't think the roads were that bad but there sure were a lot of people on the road who had no business being there. Once the snow started accumulating on the road, I switched to 4WD Auto. Most of the time I was driving at 45-50 MPH. Dropped down to 15 MPH when visibility got really low and the morons showed their worst.

Anyway, I got right at 18 MPG going north. Sunday I only got 14.5 MPG. I had the cruise control set at 75 MPH and didn't have the 4WD Auto engaged except in the mountains of PA south of Scranton. I expected better. In the summer I towed my smaller but heavier race trailer to MI with the cruise set on 80 MPH and got 16 MPG. I'm blaming the winter blend for most of the MPG loss. Hard to tell what effect the 4WD Auto had since I was driving much slower and it only comes on when needed.
    Last edited by Kyler; 01-09-2017 at 06:37 AM.
    Ken
    '16 RAM 1500 ED Bighorn 4x4 - the sexy bright red one
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2516 times
    Happy to hear yo had a safe trip.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    470 times
    i drove in that same storm and they day after... you have to factor in wind as well.
    Kyler likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 4x4 Laramie longbox crewcab
    Liked
    499 times
    Wind eats MPG big time.
    75 MPH pulling a trailer eats MPG.
    Winter blend fuel eats MPG.
    4x4 in Auto will drop ~2 MPG when it isn't actively running the front, more when it is actually sending power up front.
    MAS and CDNLaramie like this.
    2014 4x4 Laramie Crewcab, Longbox, 3.55, every option except RamBoxes and parking sensors.
    1A Auto power folding tow mirrors, Mopar wheel to wheel bars, Access Lorado tonneau cover
    Weathertech floormats & mudflaps, TrailFX hood protector, Edge Insight CTS, GDE Hot Tune

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    57 times
    Glad you were safe I heard and saw that pile up on the news. Good thing we stayed home.

I have found my sweet spot in the winter is setting the cruise at 69. Any higher I really see the decline in MPGs.

Also those hills through PA can really take a toll on MPGs in winter.
    2014 Bighorn, 5" Weston Step's, Cabin Air Filter's, Spray in bed liner, Kobalt Low profile tool box, Back Rack, DeZee tailgate assist, Michelin AT2 tires

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    3801 times
    My guess is that rented trailer was flat in front and presented a poor aerodynamic profile at higher speeds. Kind of like pulling a parachute down the road, you can't expect good fuel mileage.

Your smaller ( less than 16ft???) but heavier race trailer must have no profile. I would think most race cars are too long for something that small unless open. It might be for racing motorcycles but then would not really be that heavy. Standard UHaul trailers just seem to be very heavy for their size compared to most general use trailers. Now you add in the weather, wind, road conditions etc. You just might have done good, considering.
    MAS likes this.
    Use your head or my may have to use your feet.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2516 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyler View Post
    Hard to tell what effect the 4WD Auto had since I was driving much slower and it only comes on when needed.
    When in 4WD Auto, the front axle is engaged and the driveline is always spinning. The clutches in the transfer case are used to provide the power to the front wheels when rear wheel traction is lost. Since the front axle is engaged, 4WD Auto will result in lower fuel economy.

Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Here in Colorado the weather has been providing plenty of opportunity to play with the 4wd auto. On my commute of about 18 miles at 65 mph I've had it off and on several times, but haven't noticed any change in mpg readings. That's just based on a few individual trips not several whole tanks hand calculated and averaged out though.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 RAM 1500 ED BigHorn (Bright Red)
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    When in 4WD Auto, the front axle is engaged and the driveline is always spinning. The clutches in the transfer case are used to provide the power to the front wheels when rear wheel traction is lost. Since the front axle is engaged, 4WD Auto will result in lower fuel economy.
    the parasitic drag of the driveline doesn't appear to be very bad. Poor chose of words on my part. I was referring to when power was actually applied to the wheel.
    Ken
    '16 RAM 1500 ED Bighorn 4x4 - the sexy bright red one
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2516 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyler View Post
    the parasitic drag of the driveline doesn't appear to be very bad. Poor chose of words on my part. I was referring to when power was actually applied to the wheel.
    Because the front axle is engaged, 4WD Auto will result in lower fuel economy than the 2WD mode. How much? I don't know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links