Any way to tell if my new 2016 Eco has the spec oil? - Page 3

Any way to tell if my new 2016 Eco has the spec oil?

This is a discussion on Any way to tell if my new 2016 Eco has the spec oil? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Originally Posted by Perrysburg Dodgeboy Well no one other then a Lab will be able to tell what oil is in the truck! So no ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Any way to tell if my new 2016 Eco has the spec oil?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie 4X4 Bright Silver with matching Leer cap.
    Liked
    104 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Perrysburg Dodgeboy View Post
    Well no one other then a Lab will be able to tell what oil is in the truck! So no you can't tell!
    Which is why I encouraged him to just change it himself.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram diesel
    Liked
    4 times
    Hello, I am wondering what you all think? I bought my truck in May, and I had put 8000 miles on it by September, so I took it into the dealer and I had oil changed, they used the 5/30, I have since put on 4 thousand miles since that oil change, should I call the dealer and complain? that I did not have the right oil installed into my truck and demand the right oil? when I bought the truck they gave me 4 free oil changes to be used in 2 years, do you think I should use one of them oil changes or should I just drive the truck the additional 6000 miles and then go in for a oil change? I have had the truck in to a dealer for two different times for engine lite warning signs, but this happen when I was on vacation and the dealer out of state took care of the problems for me.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    1057 times
    Quote Originally Posted by justlucky View Post
    Hello, I am wondering what you all think? I bought my truck in May, and I had put 8000 miles on it by September, so I took it into the dealer and I had oil changed, they used the 5/30, I have since put on 4 thousand miles since that oil change, should I call the dealer and complain? that I did not have the right oil installed into my truck and demand the right oil?
    There have been 100's of thousands of miles driven on these engines with 5W-30 in them, there are several members on here that are still running 5W-30. Wait till your next oil change unless it's gonna help you sleep better at night.
    97hmcs and TCDiesel like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram diesel
    Liked
    4 times
    To cut a long story short, I called the service manager and explained everything about this oil change I had, and the oil that they put in was the 5W-30. When he looked up my VIN number I was told, there was no a recall note on my 2016 truck for oil. And that is why I did not get the 5W-40 At this point I left it up to him what he wanted to do but I told him I know all 2016 eco diesel are affected. I was told he will bring the truck in and change the oil to the 5W-40. I asked if he could screen the oil and look for metal, he was very agreeable to do this for me, no metal was found. I was taken in the back of the service depart, to bay my truck was in being worked on, In conversation with the mechanic who was working on my truck, he stated that they did change the oil when the notice came out for all the eco diesels on the lot . He also said that they had to replace the motor on an eco-diesel because of it running on the 5W-30 this was said right in front of service manager. On the way out of the garage I said to service manager, I bet you’re glad you brought my truck in, and he said yes. I was told to come see him whenever I brought my truck in.
    It is up to you what you do with your truck but I would get it changed, there was no charge for this service.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2342 times
    Quote Originally Posted by justlucky View Post
    To cut a long story short, I called the service manager and explained everything about this oil change I had, and the oil that they put in was the 5W-30. When he looked up my VIN number I was told, there was no a recall note on my 2016 truck for oil. And that is why I did not get the 5W-40 At this point I left it up to him what he wanted to do but I told him I know all 2016 eco diesel are affected. I was told he will bring the truck in and change the oil to the 5W-40. I asked if he could screen the oil and look for metal, he was very agreeable to do this for me, no metal was found. I was taken in the back of the service depart, to bay my truck was in being worked on, In conversation with the mechanic who was working on my truck, he stated that they did change the oil when the notice came out for all the eco diesels on the lot . He also said that they had to replace the motor on an eco-diesel because of it running on the 5W-30 this was said right in front of service manager. On the way out of the garage I said to service manager, I bet you’re glad you brought my truck in, and he said yes. I was told to come see him whenever I brought my truck in.
    It is up to you what you do with your truck but I would get it changed, there was no charge for this service.
    Glad to hear you got the oil you wanted. Have to disagree with the mechanic who stated "they had to replace the motor on an eco-diesel because of it running on the 5W-30".
    TCDiesel likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    OK, the truck visited the dealership as I noticed fluid leaking from a front shock. Turns out the shock was shot - now that is a first (bad leaking shock) for me. And since I needed the seat belt fixed as well I had enough to warrant a trip. I showed them the service bulletin and they said they knew all about it. So, they changed the oil to the new spec (I checked the dipstick and it looks pretty clean) but they did not have the sticker for the oil cap, it has to be ordered. This is my question, when i checked my oil life screen it said 43% remaining (I am at 5500 miles), so, is this oil life number based on miles and not some mechanical magic that evaluates the oil? thanks
    2016 Bright Silver Big Horn, crew cab 4x4 Eco-diesel

Member #
    Vehicle
    Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, GMC Duramax, Ford 7.3 diesel
    Liked
    2586 times
    For anyone in doubt, or worried, about of what oil is in their truck, change it yourself. It's the most certain way that you can be sure that the correct oil is in there. You will also know that the filter has been changed and that some ape didn't strip the oil plug.
    redsunBC likes this.
    Gene

2014 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
    2001 GMC 2500HD Duramax diesel
    1992 Ford E350 Navistar diesel

"Science prevails over bullshit and superstition"
    -Me

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1057 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lezmark View Post
    they changed the oil to the new spec (I checked the dipstick and it looks pretty clean) but they did not have the sticker for the oil cap, it has to be ordered. This is my question, when i checked my oil life screen it said 43% remaining (I am at 5500 miles), so, is this oil life number based on miles and not some mechanical magic that evaluates the oil? thanks
    Oil life is calculated from engine temperature, rpm and runtime. I'm guessing they changed the oil but didn't reset the oil life monitor.
    People have put 100's of thousands of miles on the original "spec oil" with no issues, run this oil change out. If it will make you feel better, change it now.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks. Since nothing was noted about the filter, i bet there was just an oil change, which is fine considering the cost of the oil. And now my next question: I am wondering if I should put a new filter in or wait until I do my next change?
    2016 Bright Silver Big Horn, crew cab 4x4 Eco-diesel

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1057 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lezmark View Post
    I am wondering if I should put a new filter in or wait until I do my next change?
    If you're going to run this oil till the oil life monitor says to change the oil(in about 4500 miles) just change everything then. The filter will be effective till then.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links