No Ecodiesel - What Do You Buy? - Page 3

No Ecodiesel - What Do You Buy?

This is a discussion on No Ecodiesel - What Do You Buy? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Has ford updated the 2.7 with addl port injection and thrown the 10 speed behind it yet? That should be quite the combo once they ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: No Ecodiesel - What Do You Buy?

Member #
    Vehicle
    '15 ED, CC, 6'4", 4x4, Air Susp, Longhorn
    Liked
    723 times
    Has ford updated the 2.7 with addl port injection and thrown the 10 speed behind it yet? That should be quite the combo once they do.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    .Even that little "baby Duramax" is made in Thailand.
    It may be built in Thailand now but originally it is VM motori engine same as our ecodiesels. GM owned half of VM at one point.

For what I use a vehicle for, which is bad weather commuting, I would go with a baby duramax. Quite expensive for a 1/4 ton though. My second choice would be the new 2.7 EcoBoost with DI/port injection with the 10 speed. I had a connecting rod fail on a 13 EcoBoost 3.5 but I think ford has worked the bugs out. And I know that 2.7 is a new design and basically unrelated to the old 3.5. All other options scare me for fuel economy with my commute.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    3801 times
    Yeah, if you don't tow or tow small, that 2.8L inline engine rules. For general transportation that smaller pickup seems quite capable as transportation and useful for hauling stuff, unlike a small diesel car. I read reports of over 30 mpg cost cruising along unloaded.

Sure see the Colorado/Canyon diesel as capably filling a niche market. Downside is price and that's for a buyer to figure out.
    Use your head or my may have to use your feet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ED Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab
    Liked
    15 times
    this is a question I've actually been debating myself. If i will have to go with a truck again, it will depend on what Ford does with it's F150 diesel. I'd really like to stick with a diesel, but since I don't hardly tow at all, trying to justify a 3/4 ton Cummins as a daily driver is next to impossible. I'd probably lean toward a GMC Denali with the 6.2 motor if Ford doesn't do something special with the diesel.
    2015 Charcoal Laramie ED 4x4 Crew Cab
    Previous - 2003 GMC Sierra 5.3L Reg cab 2x4 - 122K miles

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    491 times
    If I have to replace my ecodiesel I have a few options I have thought of.

-2.7 or 3.5 ecoboost
    -ford 1/2 ton diesel (if it ever comes out)
    -Titan cummins
    -pre DPF cummins
    -Frankenstein a 4bt into whatever truck I think will be the easiest/cheapest

The 2.7 is almost out for me, it would work for most of what I want to do, but I have some reservations about long distance towing near its max. The only concern with the 3.5 is fuel economy.

With any new truck I am going to hate the emissions the entire time.

My father in law has a Nissan Titan with the Cummins, I followed him this weekend we both filled up and drove the same trip, maintained a close following distance and even switched off which truck was in the lead so nobody was drafting the whole time. At the end of the mixed 80%/20% hwy/city trip his truck showed 18 mpg mine was 26.5 mpg. His normal commuting average is 15 and change (he got better mpg's in his ecoboost).

Any older 3/4 ton diesel is going to require a lot of $$$ to replace all maintenance items etc. to bring it to like new mechanical condition and is still not going to get stellar fuel mileage, which leaves me with the 4bt Frankenstein, ill have to do some more research on cost time and what I can expect to get out of it... I think my wife will try to put an end to that one before it eve starts though.
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.92
    Liked
    228 times
    Your 4bt Frankenstein comment made me laugh. But it did remind me - Cummins is to very soon start selling the Repower R2.8 crate motor. And it will be interesting to see its cost and what model years it could be installed into

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    WeatherTech OTH. DZ Bed Mat & tailgate assist. BAK Revolver X2. Bull Ring flush anchors. Mopar fuel cap & AMI locking door. AVS window visor/hood deflector. Tailgate badge. MOPAR wheel/spare locks. Costco neoprene front covers. 20x9 WRF w/ stock SRA. Timbren. MBRP 409SS single. OEM W2W steps. Hidden toolbox. OEM bed lights w/ custom wiring. 3M ColorStable all around
    To install: cabin filter, Bilsteins & Mevotech UCA
    Needs: alarm, a little more bass

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    491 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL_57 View Post
    Your 4bt Frankenstein comment made me laugh. But it did remind me - Cummins is to very soon start selling the Repower R2.8 crate motor. And it will be interesting to see its cost and what model years it could be installed into

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    The 2.8 is completely emissions equipped I wont be doing one. The transmission they tested the 2.8 on is the same as the one in our trucks, so it should be a pretty easy swap into almost any 1/2 ton dodge with the 8 speed. I'm tired of new car bs. I think whatever I get in the future will be older.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2010 Honda Pilot, 2017 Limited Hemi
    Liked
    29 times
    I ordered a 2017 ED Laramie back in November to replace my wrecked 2015 Laramie. Obviously in didn't show up.

I really like the Ram truck, so I went with a Hemi Limited. Truly a 'first world problem' ... it's a beautiful truck. And yes, I do miss the ED, however the Hemi has it's benefits and I have grown to really like it. It's not near as bad on fuel as I feared .... I get 10L/100km on the highway, and 12/13 in the city, but need to be gentle on the throttle to get these numbers.

I thought hard about the 2500, but couldn't justify that much truck for my needs.

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    If you don't tow often, the Ecoboost is a very nice truck - after my Ecodiesel blew the oil cooler, had the engine replaced (3 months in the dealer)
    and went thru 2 cat converters in 3 months, I didn't feel like I could trust it anymore... traded it on a 2013 Lariat with 3.5 Ecoboost.
    Same torque as the Ram, 125 more HP. Was worried about fuel mileage, but I rarely drive it hard, and so far, I've averaged over 19 MPG
    hand calculated. But if you use it to tow, while it does a great job, expect the mileage to drop fast and far. The new 2.7 has better gas
    mileage, at leas empty.
    Good luck, hope you find a truck that meets your needs
    Captainmal likes this.
    2014 Bighorn, True blue, 4X4, Quad cab, long bed, Rambox

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie
    Liked
    136 times
    what to buy instead of an ED
    for me here is how I break down the choices (excluding Raptor / Reaper / Rebel's)

Ford 3.5 - IMHO the best driving pickup on the market, even over the GMC 6.2. I had one for a month while my ED was in the shop, I was very impressed. Negative being the mpg and the crazy high price
    GMC 6.2 - Good drivability, interior is a couple steps below Ford or Ram, mpg as a negative, price will also be much higher then the Ram
    Ram Hemi - Probably the best drivability to mpg mix, low purchase price

if money was no object I'd drive a Ford 3.5, if I have to factor in dollars it'd be a Ram Hemi; FIR has had a pile of the GMC 6.2's and has two of them right now, getting in those feels like taking a step backwards after driving the Ram

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links