No Ecodiesel - What Do You Buy? - Page 8

No Ecodiesel - What Do You Buy?

This is a discussion on No Ecodiesel - What Do You Buy? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Something with this in it NEW OEM Complete Audi Q7 CCGA V12 6.0L TDI Diesel Engine Long Block 500HP 08-04 | eBay...

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: No Ecodiesel - What Do You Buy?

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    ecupip, RossCountyRam and DJL_57 like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.92
    Liked
    228 times
    Does that come with a new set of pants? Because I need some now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    ScottD and jsintx like this.
    WeatherTech OTH. DZ Bed Mat & tailgate assist. BAK Revolver X2. Bull Ring flush anchors. Mopar fuel cap & AMI locking door. AVS window visor/hood deflector. Tailgate badge. MOPAR wheel/spare locks. Costco neoprene front covers. 20x9 WRF w/ stock SRA. Timbren. MBRP 409SS single. OEM W2W steps. Hidden toolbox. OEM bed lights w/ custom wiring. 3M ColorStable all around
    To install: cabin filter, Bilsteins & Mevotech UCA
    Needs: alarm, a little more bass

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    I have dreamed of the day I would be able to get a small displacement diesel in a halfton pickup and I have no idea what I would buy!. Probably nothing for a while. If things dropped tomorrow I just flat out couldn't get the financing I got when I bought mine last summer as My credit has taken a dip my own fault but that's a factor. I really do not like registering and insuring any more vehicles than I have to out here in the land of moonbeam that's why the ecodiesel works for me I have a average commute but need a full size pickup and if we decide to buy a camper we can pull one

Now that aside
    Nissan no way not sure why this even exists ram 2500 anyday before that

Maybe a Ram 2500. Probably the best option for those that put on my kind of miles

I always loved my GM 1500s snappy & comfortable

Ram 1500 gasser what little I have read the pentastar might be a viable option for me if the camper potential wasn't as real as it is. And I feel I just drive too many miles to justify a gas rig

F150 diesel. My dad is 72 years old and just last December bought his first non GM vehicle ever two weeks after my parents got married he sold my moms f100. It would be a tough thing to do to cross over to that side but if it has any sort of comparability to our ecodiesels it would have to be the best option. Ford unlike GM doesn't seem to discriminate Trim packages from having certain powerplants. TRy getting a baby dmax in a base Colorado. And Ford builds tons of trucks so pricing can be competitive if you aren't trying to buy one as soon as they hit the lots

Only time will tell

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    3808 times
    Wonder what they used that 12 cylinder diesel engine in? Poor thing reminds me of that awful Cummins 5.0L V8. Has way too much complexity for it's design and size. Add on the obvious weight endless torque than a comparable in-line 6 to make it more of a curiosity than a reliability.

Still cannot fathom why there are no 4.0L inline 4 or 6 cylinder diesels. That's an option I would jump on as an Ecodiesel substitute.
    MAS and BrianS like this.
    Use your head or my may have to use your feet.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 ED CC6.4 4X4 Laramie
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Wonder what they used that 12 cylinder diesel engine in?
    Audi Q7 suv

Back to the topic, seems like majority is going with 2500 cummins.
    Last edited by JerseyDiesel; 05-19-2017 at 08:00 AM.
    Haul N Grass and jsintx like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    1524 times
    The Cummins has the fuel economy equivalent of a Hemi,if not a little better,not as good as the V6 Pena star, but the Cummins has towing abilities of a locomotive. Cummins mpgs a solid 18-20 and depending on conditions 22mpgs .

Now Tundra isn't even in the ball park ,as far as mpgs Fords to many engines to compare individually..The Cummins comparison to all of the Ford gassers isn't far off . Then throw in towing capabilities,if needed ....Cummins wins

Cummins hold their values,

The parts availability for the Cummins is great ,finding qualified mechanics is much easier, and not just at FCA dealerships . Basically a simple engine.

If you tow Cummins..... Lite towing on occasions, and driving high mileage Gasser .

So maybe folks are like myself going with the Cummins with the same attitude as the EcoDiesel , Best mpgs available and still have towing capabilities worry free ,especially when upgrading to a different larger Travel Trailer .

Now the frame and running gear are Bad Ass on the Cummins 2014 or newer , and 2015 or newer is even better,in regards to engine cooling designs . And I went with a 3500 with Aisin transmission. The truck is built tough like a little tank . BTW I love my Ram Trucks .....There Great !!!!!!!!
    Captainmal and MR. TED like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Lone Star Crew Cab 4x2 Maximum Steel
    Liked
    117 times
    Haul n Grass - the problem with the Cummins as an alternative is that it gets worse mpg and has a higher up-front cost. And if you're an ED owner, then you shouldn't even borderline on whether your towing needs can be done by a half ton. Many half tons can town almost 50% more than the ED.

Also, saying the Cummins gets the same mpg as the Hemi is fine. But the Cummins does it on more expensive fuel and uses DEF in addition to that.

Bottom line - my point is just that I think the folks going to the Cummins are wanting to increase capability or stay with the Ram brand and stay with a diesel (both of which are reasonable approaches). It's really not the same type of vehicle as an ED though. It's not like there are many people at the dealership trying to choose between the 2.
    el_conquistador likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    1524 times
    In 22,000 miles I used 7.5 gallons of def , and right now in my area Diesel is same price as gasoline ,Then start towing with a gasser ,single digit fuel economy. My Cummins Pulling a 13k 5th I achieved 13mpg hand calculated

And the original post was if no EcoDiesel,So comparison between ED and Cummins isn't a valid point. I was comparing Cummins to gassers

It's basically finding a vehicle that tows and gets reasonable fuel economy, Which the ED is perfect for so many folks. Gassers when worked suck fuel down .
    BrianS and MR. TED like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    3808 times
    A substitute for the Ecodiesel should be able to do most, if not all, of what the Ecodiesel does. That means it should be able to tow medium trailers across the country and return good fuel mileage with the same relaxed engine pace as the Ecodiesel. To be a substitute it has to be close to the same truck size and price also.

The Cummins in a Ram 2500 obviously does all the Ecodiesel does and way more. It gets lower marks for fuel efficiency (not towing) and the cost factor. Towing fuel mileage is near the Ecodiesel with a decent tow load. Much the same can be said of the 2500 new Duramax. Less so the Powerstroke.

The only other reasonable option is the smaller Colorado/Canyon. They have a 4 cylinder diesel that can tow, get good economy and is priced much like the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. It is smaller so that issue has to be considered. The engine performance is less than the Ecodiesel and again, something to understand.

That Nissan with V8 Cummins is a mistake by design and packaged in another mistake at near the same price. Fuel mileage is even lower than the larger Cummins. Owner satisfaction and pride also seems to be taking a hit. Not a remote consideration to me.

There's nothing else.

Looking at all the great responses to this thread and not a single gasoline option fit the bill for long distance towing. In each case the engines return horrible towing fuel mileage. Some do get reasonable fuel mileage while not towing. That puts them under consideration but only for those that do not tow far. Sure a gasser can tow your boat to the ramp, the RV to the local mud bog for the weekend etc. It is very undesirable towing thousands of miles under the variety of physical conditions you find in North America.

The project future Ford 150 diesel is still a rumor. It's hard to drive a rumor around so not a consideration yet. If/when it comes then you need to deal with pricing issues, performance and reliability. Pricing from Ford is usually high. Performance and reliability will take time or, like I did with the Ecodiesel, you can take a "flyer" and get the first one.

If those news articles from this morning come to fruition, this thread is ending relevance. . A new Ecodiesel could be back in production and available. Do I need one? If so, what rear-end gear ratio? If back it really returns to be the "only game in town".
    Haul N Grass and MR. TED like this.
    Use your head or my may have to use your feet.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM Bighorn Ecodiesel, CC, 4X4, 20" wheels
    Liked
    117 times
    RAM 2500 Cummins I think, decent mpg, a fine interior and ride does it for me.

But I still have my ED and they can have it when they pry it from my cold dead fingers!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Sponsored Links