No Ecodiesel - What Do You Buy?

This is a discussion on No Ecodiesel - What Do You Buy? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Driving rain at a racetrack yesterday forced race cancellation and gave wife and I some free time to explore. We stopped at a Chevy dealer ...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: No Ecodiesel - What Do You Buy?

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    3808 times

Driving rain at a racetrack yesterday forced race cancellation and gave wife and I some free time to explore. We stopped at a Chevy dealer north of Tampa. Sat in and looked over a Colorado diesel.

"Rejected".

Uncomfortably small and low, wife felt confined in it. I surmised that though the tow ratings are only a couple hundred pounds less than the Ecodiesel with 3:55's, it would be a problem towing large "boxes of air". Sure it can tow a concentrated weight near what the Ram 1500 can tow but large trailers of the same weight blow around in the wind and traffic buffeting. There's just not enough truck there to keep things under control. Even the 1500 is challenged under some of those conditions.

Sure like the "Baby Duramax's" fuel mileage. Like the in-line engine design. Don't like the high price and minimal discounts I see coming off that. In short or long - "rejected".

The Ram 1500 Ecodiesel is near perfect for many of us and the way we use our vehicles. The 2500 diesels are too big, expensive and fuel thirsty for most Ecodiesel user needs, That then begs the question - for towing ability, great fuel mileage ... a clone of the Ecodiesel - What do you buy?
    Diesel78 likes this.
    Use your head or my may have to use your feet.

Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Driving rain at a racetrack yesterday forced race cancellation and gave wife and I some free time to explore. We stopped at a Chevy dealer north of Tampa. Sat in and looked over a Colorado diesel.

"Rejected".

Uncomfortably small and low, wife felt confined in it. I surmised that though the tow ratings are only a couple hundred pounds less than the Ecodiesel with 3:55's, it would be a problem towing large "boxes of air". Sure it can tow a concentrated weight near what the Ram 1500 can tow but large trailers of the same weight blow around in the wind and traffic buffeting. There's just not enough truck there to keep things under control. Even the 1500 is challenged under some of those conditions.

Sure like the "Baby Duramax's" fuel mileage. Like the in-line engine design. Don't like the high price and minimal discounts I see coming off that. In short or long - "rejected".

The Ram 1500 Ecodiesel is near perfect for many of us and the way we use our vehicles. The 2500 diesels are too big, expensive and fuel thirsty for most Ecodiesel user needs, That then begs the question - for towing ability, great fuel mileage ... a clone of the Ecodiesel - What do you buy?

There might only be 2 tweener/half ton diesel options. Ford's planned F150 3L diesel and the Titan XD. I bet the Ford will be expensive for a while but should be very capable. The XDs are almost being given away maybe for obvious reasons.

Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    I forgot to add, I'd vote for the Ford.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Limited
    Liked
    308 times
    I've not looked at the Nissan, but I'd sure take a look (assuming you want diesel). Prices are low and while I cannot speak for the Titan, I've had very good luck with our Nissan Murano and the local dealer.
    2015 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Ecodiesel Limited, 3.92 gears, air suspension, towing package.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie 4X4 Bright Silver with matching Leer cap.
    Liked
    146 times
    Tundra

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 SRW
    Liked
    1798 times
    Tundra is very dated and gets terrible mileage. I was between Tundra and Ram when I bought my 1500.... Ram had it beat by a mile in every category.
    MR. TED and CDNLaramie like this.
    All opinions are my own, and always speckled with sarcastic humor... please do not take offense.

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.92
    Liked
    228 times
    Yes. The Colorado Duramax is to the Ram Ecodiesel, as the Nissan Cummins is to the Ram 2500 Cummins.
    The Colorado/Ecodiesel are in the same price range but you get a whole lot more truck for the money with the Ram.
    The Nissan/2500 are in the same price range but you get a whole lot more truck for the money with the Ram. Similar fuel economy or worse with the 5.0 but less towing capacity as its not quite a 3/4 ton, and just kinda doesn't fit any category, not that there's anything wrong with that, but it comes with 3/4 ton pricing. And Rams with Cummins have always had great resale value, the Nissan is taking a gamble.

Not sure how the Duramax/Eco comparison is on resale, time will tell as both are new platforms; but there is a whole lot more truck involved in a full size when it comes to track width and sheer weight. But for weekend warriors that want to pull a smaller trailer, the colorado is perfect just like the Eco is, great economy to affordably drive it every day but have enough grunt when you need it.
    Being a GM fan, I could have waited around for this truck instead of going to a Ram, but couldn't have a midsize truck when a full size is more practical, and I just haven't been impressed in Chevy truck styling for 10 production years now since the GMT800 line died. If they revived the 4.5L Duramax V8 in a full size, that would be great, but still a good motor in a less than attractive package.

That's my 2 cents

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    MR. TED and Henfield like this.
    WeatherTech OTH. DZ Bed Mat & tailgate assist. BAK Revolver X2. Bull Ring flush anchors. Mopar fuel cap & AMI locking door. AVS window visor/hood deflector. Tailgate badge. MOPAR wheel/spare locks. Costco neoprene front covers. 20x9 WRF w/ stock SRA. Timbren. MBRP 409SS single. OEM W2W steps. Hidden toolbox. OEM bed lights w/ custom wiring. 3M ColorStable all around
    To install: cabin filter, Bilsteins & Mevotech UCA
    Needs: alarm, a little more bass

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie 4X4 Bright Silver with matching Leer cap.
    Liked
    146 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Tundra is very dated and gets terrible mileage. I was between Tundra and Ram when I bought my 1500.... Ram had it beat by a mile in every category.
    Except reliability!
    CanadianBill and EcoD Jeff like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 SRW
    Liked
    1798 times
    Quote Originally Posted by msp548 View Post
    Except reliability!
    Maybe, but I've never had an issue with Rams that I've had. I have had several Toyota vehicles so I get it.... resale definitely is better on the Toyota, too.

Still, I'd rather have a Ram than a Tundra any day.
    Mopar73340, MR. TED, Mcsap and 2 others like this.
    All opinions are my own, and always speckled with sarcastic humor... please do not take offense.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    3808 times
    Good opinions all. For the remainder of this calendar year there does not seem to be a viable option. Yes, I like diesel. Have not owned a gas vehicle since 1992. Don't really want one because of the fuel economy, high rpm, volatility of gasoline stopping you from having an extra bed tank, short range when towing and those scary spark plugs that don't come out easily.

Another personal issue is my love of America and not wanting to support other countries to the detriment of America. I will not buy a Jap vehicle. That would be a personal embarrassment. Would consider a European one if there was a viable option there at a popular price. Only issue I see there is one that comes up with this Ecodiesel. Parts are foreign sourced and that's a problem. Even that little "baby Duramax" is made in Thailand. Have not heard literally anything negative about their reliability and parts issues. Wish that design was used in the Silverado at about 4.0L.

In my mind right now, there is no parallel option to the Ecodiesel. These early responses seem to bear that out.
    MR. TED and jsintx like this.
    Use your head or my may have to use your feet.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links