Use of fuel cap on capless Rams! - Page 2

Use of fuel cap on capless Rams!

This is a discussion on Use of fuel cap on capless Rams! within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Originally Posted by RAM Fan Ram's position that "No Cap Be Used" is possibly based on their naive belief that the weakly sprung fuel door ...

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Use of fuel cap on capless Rams!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2247 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Fan View Post
    Ram's position that "No Cap Be Used" is possibly based on their naive belief that the weakly sprung fuel door will keep all dirt etc. out of the fill area. We know that not to be the case. If they were to recommend that one actually be used, they would come under fire for not providing one so I think their recommendation is political and not technical. I have read here that there are two sealing flaps in the filler neck with an overflow port between them. The lower flap must seal the neck otherwise it would be an open system allowing vapors to escape the vent hole (emissions issue).
    I agree 100%. Chrysler's response is not in any way technical.

The fuel tank is not vented through the cap-less filler and adding a cap has zero effect other than protecting the fuel system from dirt and water.
    Sasquatchilly and ducksbreth like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    3382 times
    15K with my magnetic green cap on. Sure is nice to know I can fill the DEF and not worry about contaminating my fuel with a spill.

No dirt, water, dust, melting snow etc. getting in has to be a good thing.
    Boxcab and Sasquatchilly like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Outdoorsman
    Liked
    1 times
    The green plastic cap was left on mine by the dealer. I didn't like the "no cap" option and continue to use it, I have 26,000kms on it and no issues as of yet.
    Sasquatchilly likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 1500 RAM ECO Deisel Laramie Limited, 4x4, 6'2" Bed, 3:92 Gears
    Liked
    81 times
    Does anyone make a vented fuel cap for our 3D trucks?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2247 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
    Does anyone make a vented fuel cap for our 3D trucks?
    Sorry, I can't answer your question.

I can tell you the 3D has a separate fuel tank vent that is not part of the fill assembly other than being zip-tied to the exterior of the filler neck.

The vent line is a small (approx. 1/4") hose and it looks like it goes directly to the fuel tank. There is another line (approx. 1/2") to the filler neck I believe vents air from the tank only when filling.

I believe the 1/4" vent line is actually used to allow air to enter the tank as the fuel is consumed. Probably like a check valve.

Disclaimer: the above is only my educated guess. I may be completely wrong, completely correct, somewhat correct, somewhat wrong, or somewhere out in left field.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Use of fuel cap on capless Rams!-img_1338.jpg   Use of fuel cap on capless Rams!-img_1339.jpg   Use of fuel cap on capless Rams!-img_1340.jpg  

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram CC 4x4
    Liked
    193 times
    I have had the green aluminum cap on my truck from the beginning and have no issues at 8k miles. We have 0 known cases of a cap causing an issue to the Ecodiesel. So until someone can provide a known issue caused by the cap I will leave it on and know I have my tank protected from water, dirt or dust.

I think people are over thinking this cap or no cap issue. Chrysler says it is fine with no cap due to the double flap door they have in the filler neck. I guess they think it is like having suspenders on to keep your pants up. Well there is nothing wrong with adding a belt to keep your pant up as well. So I now have suspenders and a belt.
    JAK, husker75, howie12 and 1 others like this.
    2014 1500 Laramie Longhorn CC 4x4 8spd, 3.92 EcoDiesel
    Hammerhead rear bumper sprayed with Linex | Iron Cross steps sprayed with Linex | Trucks cover tool box/Tonneau Cover combo | Geno's cabin filter
    275-65-20 Nitto Terra Grappler on Xtreme NX 6 | Bilstein 5100 front & back | Zone Offroad 4” lift and with Heavy Duty Upper Control Arm Kit
    Green Billet Fuel Filler Cap | Timber Grove Air Bags | Dash Mat

Member #
    Liked
    128 times
    I have the after market green cap as well. I really don't like the idea of not having a cap. The tank needs to be vented or would starve the engine of fuil. Ever try running a boat with an outboard engine with the tank vent screw closed. You don't go to far before you have problems of running out of fuel. We are in gravity world. My cap fits real tight and if the vent was from the fill tub, I feel I wouldn't have driven to have after puting it on. I agree with it is political not tech issue, RAM is just saving a few bucks per vehicle, just another way of keeping the cost down.

Member #
    Vehicle
    RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab
    Liked
    8 times
    Mine came with green plastic cap, dealer said that guys working in fields complained dirts and dust accumulating, so Chrysler responded

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 SLT
    Liked
    88 times
    So what are my options for a diesel cap?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 RAM 2500 Tradesman CC, 6.4L Hemi, 2WD , 6'-4" bed,
    Liked
    521 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mutasimincalgary View Post
    Mine came with green plastic cap, dealer said that guys working in fields complained dirts and dust accumulating, so Chrysler responded
    I guess dealers pretty much tell you whatever they think you need to hear. As I understand it, the DEF tanks come from the tank manufacturer with the green plastic cap installed. This is necessary due to the sensitivity to contamination during the shipping and storage periods prior to the tank being installed on the line.

Also, when it comes to "venting" the fuel tank, it is not the same as it used to be, nor is it like an outboard motor exactly. The outboard motor tank analogy would be accurate if you installed a separate line in the tank that went to another area in the closed loop fuel injection system that would prevent a vacuum from forming. Emission regulations years ago (for gasoline engines anyway) dictated that automobiles go from an "open system" to a "closed system" whereby the tank is not vented to atmosphere .... otherwise hydro carbon emissions would continuously escape causing pollution (same as dumping fuel on the ground). A fuel injected system uses a closed system. The fuel is sent to a vapor separator (which is vented to atmosphere) prior to the fuel rail which redirects the vapor back into the intake so that it doesn't escape into the atmosphere. That is why fuel in a fuel injected system can last a very long time without fuel conditioner as compared to fuel which goes stale very quickly in a system that is open to the atmosphere.

Older carburetted engines required an open system because of the need to vent the float bowls to amosphere in order to allow atmospheric pressure to literally push fuel up through the jets.
    Last edited by RAM Fan; 12-28-2014 at 01:55 PM.
    Volkevin likes this.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links