Use of fuel cap on capless Rams! - Page 3

Use of fuel cap on capless Rams!

This is a discussion on Use of fuel cap on capless Rams! within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Originally Posted by MarkyZ So what are my options for a diesel cap? The factory green plug, Home Depot rubber stopper, or Turner CNC Aluminum ...

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Use of fuel cap on capless Rams!

Member #
    Vehicle
    4X4 2015 ED Outdoorsman CC ordered 8/12/14. Plan B 2014 Laramie ED CC 4X4 purchased 11/1/14.
    Liked
    2451 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyZ View Post
    So what are my options for a diesel cap?
    The factory green plug, Home Depot rubber stopper, or Turner CNC Aluminum Diesel Cap, which can be ordered from them, Geno's Garage or Rollinsmokediesel and maybe on ebay

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Outdoorsman ED
    Liked
    48 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TSR6 View Post
    If that's the case, they need to borrow a Ford F150 to check out their fuel door. It actually has a tight seal against the truck bed. Our fuel door does not...
    It doesn't...? The fuel door on my truck has a rubber seal all the way around that seals it against the body of the truck. Or are you referring to something else?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 1500 Laramie CC SWB GDE Eco-diesel 4X4
    Liked
    565 times
    I can guarantee that flap valve system our trucks use cost Ram Trucks a boatload more than a fuel cap does! I do agree that the response I got was 100% a CYA one! My truck now has 750 miles on it and I have wiped dirt from the inside of the fuel filler area before both fuel ups so far!

IMO our trucks should have a latched fuel door if Ram Trucks wants to run a capless system! What is the number one thing that can take out a diesel engine? Water and that is why all diesel systems have a WIF warning system (water in fuel) and will even shut the engine down if you do not stop.

I hope I can get an answer with-in the next few weeks (after 1/5/2015) and can report back there is no issue using this cap. I do have one and I am using it and will continue to use it. bottom line, if needed I can run a 1/8" ball end mill down the side, down into the o-ring grove and along the top lip to create a leak path. The other way would be drill a 1/8" hole above the diesel letters about 3/8" in from the small O.D. .
    2015 Ram Laramie Crew Cab, short box, 4X4, GDE Tune, western brown with canyon brown light frost beige W/BENCH SEAT, wheel to wheel bars, front windows tinted 15%, 8.4AN radio and more gadgets than I know what to do with!

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    Laramie Limited
    Liked
    262 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    It doesn't...? The fuel door on my truck has a rubber seal all the way around that seals it against the body of the truck. Or are you referring to something else?
    It has the seal, but the spring that holds the fuel door closed does not have much tension on it at all. I don't trust this is enough to seal against moisture or fine dust.

The F150 has a different design that puts a decent amount of pressure behind keeping the fuel door closed.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Outdoorsman
    Liked
    187 times
    I have the aftermarket fuel cap; Ram is just being foolish with the capless setup in my opinion, too much potential for contaminates to get in the tank.
    Wenski likes this.
    As soon as I come up with something cool, it will go here ->

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 Diesel
    Liked
    22 times
    This is actually amusing.
    I would say that Ram's response will always be; "If we don't sell it, we don't recommend it."
    15,000 miles with the Aluminum Magnetic Cap and no issues.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Bighorn 4x4 6'4" CC
    Liked
    42 times
    Westondan helped set me up with my Green Aluminum cap. Great product...12,000 miles and no issues.

Member #
    Vehicle
    14' CC 6'4" box
    Liked
    54 times
    I do not have a cap and have been fine for 15,000. I do not plan on purchasing a cap until someone can actually prove they have fuel contamination from not having one.
    Funny thing is some of the same guys that are saying "I don't trust the Ram engineers, what where they thinking " also said "Ram engineered these trucks without a oil catch can and I think they would know what they are doing "
    Ram 1500 Crew Cab Big Horn 6'4" bed Maximum Steel metallic, Black/diesel gray interior
    3.55 rear end, 17“ wheels, Air Suspension 4-Corner

Cove Or,SUMMER TIME-ELK WA,WA-WINTER TIME.
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 BIGHORN CREW/CAB 4X4
    Liked
    1402 times

My fancy fuel cap

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyZ View Post
    So what are my options for a diesel cap?
    This cost me all of 2.59. Works fine.Use of fuel cap on capless Rams!-dscn0132.jpg It is a rubber cap used to cap off PVC pipe. Has an adjustable clamp on it which I tightened up enough to make a snug fit.
    tshunt likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 RAM 2500 Tradesman CC, 6.4L Hemi, 2WD , 6'-4" bed,
    Liked
    531 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nailem View Post
    I do not have a cap and have been fine for 15,000. I do not plan on purchasing a cap until someone can actually prove they have fuel contamination from not having one.
    I'd hate for you to be the one to make that official first report While we haven't had people actually report contamination, people have commented that they have found water in the recessed area of the green plastic cap that comes on the truck stock (the one the dealers are supposed to discard). Another member reported having a small amount of snow in there after a strong blowing snow event one night. Personally, I find my spring loaded cover to be very relaxed and not very secure. Check and see how little effort it takes to begin to open it even just a little. I would bet money that a misdirected shot with a weak pressure washer would easily force water past the lid at the point 180 degrees from the hinge. I don't consider it to be foolish to be pro-active. It's just cheap simple insurance for some. I also realize that a little water in the fuel isn't catastophic either as the water separator should handle it but that's just one more thing you have to do to crawl under the truck and drain the water out. I also don't have to worry so much about spilling a little def should I have a brain fart one day when a beautiful girl walks up to ask me about my Eco while I'm at the pump

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links