Use of fuel cap on capless Rams!

Use of fuel cap on capless Rams!

This is a discussion on Use of fuel cap on capless Rams! within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; So I asked my dealer to call his district Rep and ask if there would be any issue using the green aluminum cap. I reason ...

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Use of fuel cap on capless Rams!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 1500 Laramie CC SWB GDE Eco-diesel 4X4
    Liked
    565 times

Exclamation Use of fuel cap on capless Rams!

So I asked my dealer to call his district Rep and ask if there would be any issue using the green aluminum cap. I reason I asked was I was worried that using the cap may interfere with the venting of the tank. Just like a capped system will throw a code and issue a warning "Tighten or Replace Gas Cap", what if any issues would we have if we add a cap to the system?

Well I got my answer Saturday after dropping off the daughters 2014 Dart. Jon told me that it is Ram's position that NO CAP BE USED! I will see if I can get an Engineer from my plant to contact someone in the fuel systems department to see why and what effect adding a cap to the system would cause.

The trucks are shipped from the fuel tank supplier to the Assembly Plant with a green plastic cap installed. The factory removes this cap to add fuel and then reinstalls it. The dealers are instructed to remove and dispose (recycle) the caps.

I wonder if some of the codes people are seeing could be traced back to adding this cap. I would not have an issue with the capless system if the fuel door was latched close .
    2015 Ram Laramie Crew Cab, short box, 4X4, GDE Tune, western brown with canyon brown light frost beige W/BENCH SEAT, wheel to wheel bars, front windows tinted 15%, 8.4AN radio and more gadgets than I know what to do with!

Member #
    Liked
    334 times
    There's an interesting question. I put one of the Home Depot covers on week 1 and then switch to one of the green aluminum ones because I noticed the door didn't completely close. IMHO not having any cap there is just not right. How are you supposed to clean up spilt DEF? Wash the dust out?
    Sasquatchilly likes this.
    Tom
    2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Longhorn Crew 4x4, 5'7" box Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl with Lower Gold Two Tone Paint
    Black/Tan Leather, Air Suspension, Rear Window Defrost, No Slip Dif, Tow and Convenience Group, Ram Box, Tri Fold Cover.
    Order May 1, 2014 / Build May 15, 2014 / Completed May 29, 2014 and Shipped / Delivered June 18, 2014.

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    That is an interesting question, I've had my "Green Aluminum" cap on my truck since almost new and never had a CEL @ 6500miles.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 RAM 2500 Tradesman CC, 6.4L Hemi, 2WD , 6'-4" bed,
    Liked
    531 times
    Ram's position that "No Cap Be Used" is possibly based on their naive belief that the weakly sprung fuel door will keep all dirt etc. out of the fill area. We know that not to be the case. If they were to recommend that one actually be used, they would come under fire for not providing one so I think their recommendation is political and not technical. I have read here that there are two sealing flaps in the filler neck with an overflow port between them. The lower flap must seal the neck otherwise it would be an open system allowing vapors to escape the vent hole (emissions issue).

Member #
    Vehicle
    Laramie Limited
    Liked
    262 times
    If that's the case, they need to borrow a Ford F150 to check out their fuel door. It actually has a tight seal against the truck bed. Our fuel door does not...

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    I'm about to order one from the guy that ships them for $40. I can understand how the 2 sealing caps are supposed to work but I feel a little uneasy with it. If the inner flap doesn't seal completely, dirt could easily wash into the tank along with whatever else that has accumulated. I will try to remember to contact Chrysler this week to see if I get the same response. I still have my OEM plastic insert in place and will leave it there until I lose it or it falls apart. If it isn't needed why did they put it there to begin with? I just feel better with something covering that opening.
    Sasquatchilly and RamDiesel like this.
    2014 Laramie Longhorn, Bright White, Ramboxes, 3.55 anti spin differential, Filigree seats, Convenience group

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500, EcoDiesel, Quad Cab 4X4, Leer Cap, Bed Rug
    Liked
    2 times
    My truck came with the green plastic cap. Guess dealer just left it on. Anyway replaced it with the Home Depot cap mentioned in other posts. Home Depot cap works fine and does not interfere with the fuel door if you shorten it by cutting about 1/8th inch off.
    Sasquatchilly and chainsaw like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    VM 3D
    Liked
    24 times
    If DEF fluid spills into the fuel tank, this could be a big problem.
    I have not had a cell in almost 7000 miles. long as I have
    no problems with the Aftermarket fuel cap, ill keep mine on .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Laramie QC EcoDiesel
    Liked
    124 times
    I have the original green plastic cap and did not realize until I read this thread that it was supposed to be removed by the dealer before delivery. The day after I took delivery it snowed on the truck in the driveway. The snow didn't last very long, and the first time I opened the fuel door a few days later, there was water standing in the green plastic cap. I can't imagine not having some kind of cap on there.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Limited 4X4
    Liked
    128 times
    No cap on mine for over 8K miles with no issues. No signs of water or dust accumulation and door seal is doing a great job. You'll inject more crap into the tank from the unprotected or clean fuel filler neck at the pumps than what might make it pass the door seal.

I would venture to say a cap would pose no issue on the diesels, but gas models might have pressure build up if no vent is built into the aftermarket caps.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links