RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Finally... I get to join the 30 MPG club !!

19K views 67 replies 36 participants last post by  bpdougd 
#1 ·
I just got in from a trip between Pittsburgh PA, and DC. Had the cruse set most of the time at 72 mph, and I got 30.2 mpg !!!! Most longer trips, I was seeing 28... and a couple times I saw 29 MPG.

Not important... just excited about getting those kind of numbers in a truck.

#5 · (Edited)
I have about 16k miles on the truck now, and it's just over a year old. The trip was around 220 mi. AND... for the guys who don't know this end of the world... it's hilly. SO I was surprised to see the end number.

It is important. You did it. You did it.

Drink to that.

I did. My dad and I sat at the bar here, and had a drink. (Haven't done that in a while)

Oh... and the funny thing was... he has that EcoBoost F-150. All he had to say is... "You B@stard." (LOL) We used his truck on a trip to Louisville, and we didn't get better than 16.5 mpg.

Reactions: Sasquatchilly
#10 ·
Don't think there's any offical requierments. Just a long (ish) trip where you get +30 mpg when you are done. (or an overall average)

If there wasn't so many hills in PA... I'm sure it woud have been much easire to do.

#14 ·
I guess I should post up my official entry too. This was when I pulled into the Valet parking at the hotel. Now that I think about it... I bet the number was even better. This is the MPG's after driving in down-town DC traffic too.

Love this truck

#18 ·
Who knows. But for all the guys who put down Bio-Diesel.... PA subsidizes Bio production, so our fuel is a minimum of 2% bio, and is generally closer to 5%.

#19 ·
I'm nowhere near 30 mpg, but I will say that I've been averaging between 16-17 mpg pulling our 3500 lb motircycle trailer to Canada.

#23 ·
As I posted before... no real distance requirement. But... if you have a trip, that you get +30 mpg overall... (not just while coasting down a hill) then post up. This isn't a "Official" club or anything... it's just a great feeling when you honestly get "Small Car" mileage, in a +5000 lb truck.

For me... it was over 200 miles, and there was a couple stops, and down-town Washington DC traffic, and I had 30.2 mpg.

#32 ·
my truck is a crew, 4x4. I don't have the ram boxes... but I don't think they add that much weight. Besides... on my trip... I had my dad (+250 lb) and luggage for a week at a client's property. (so, another 100 lb) I'm sure that would be the same as the ram boxes.

#30 · (Edited)
1 week old '15 EcoD, Crew Cab, 2wd, 3.55 geared, drove this truck from Sacramento CA, to Santa Rosa CA. I wasn't in a hurry on this trip, so I was purposely trying to keep it between 65 - 68 mph to get a baseline for fuel economy. Had about 350-400 lbs in the bed of the truck the entire way.

Reactions: Ecodiesel14
#31 ·
Encouraging to see the 4X4's getting 30 mpg and at 65-70 mph! Haven't been there yet but did get slightly over 21 mpg pulling a 4,000 lb bass boat from Sacremento to Fresno last week. Running a 2015 Big Horn, slightly under 5K miles, 4X4, 20" wheels, 3.55's and a tank full of HPR. It's 160 miles, slightly up hill from Sac to Fresno, 35 ft up to 350 ft.

#33 ·
This HPR is great fuel, and usally cheaper too! The only down fault is lubricity values may be on the low side with a HFRR.

The downside is LUBRICITY. In the US diesel fuel has to have an HFRR of less than 520 micron. In Europe its less than 460 micron. While biodiesel has very good lubricity (less than 300 micron) the hydrotreated fuel is much worse... 640 micron. The manufacturer has to put lubricity additives in the fuel in order for it to meet the ASTM D975 standard in the US of less than 520 micron wear scar. I would suggest using a lubricity additive with this fuel just to be sure (TCW3, WVO, SVO etc).

So adding some lubricity additive to this fuel and you will be very happy, and your diesel will like it even more!
You could see numbers in the 30's mpg regularly if you keep your HFRR down near 400 micron (wear measurement friction).

Soya bean, and vegetable oil has been used as lubricity, use at your own discretion, i add 1 cup per tank of fuel which is less then .10% of a tank or and add opti-lube to fuel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.