Projector Upgrade - Page 2

Projector Upgrade

This is a discussion on Projector Upgrade within the RAM 1500 Diesel Lighting forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; I've got the projectors in my 2014 Laramie and I was thinking of replacing the bulbs with Cyclops LEDs. Those are really good if you ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Projector Upgrade

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I've got the projectors in my 2014 Laramie and I was thinking of replacing the bulbs with Cyclops LEDs. Those are really good if you can fit them in with the added fans that they have on the back. You can put them in crap bejing headlights if you want because they don't get hot. HIDs suck. They always die in my experience.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Fan View Post
    First of all, for the record, I know absolutely nothing about headlamp terminology and reading threads on it make my head swim. What I do know is that every Ram I've ever owned (6 of them in 23 years) all had terrible lights. As I got older, I started to have to wear glasses when driving at night and even with them, I'm amazed at how little or far ahead I can see. Throw in a really dark night in the rain and I'm lucky to be able to navigate by the white line next to me.

That being the case, I have a 2016 Ram 2500HD CC, 6.4L Hemi Tradesman. Everything on the truck is bare minimum. Add to the fact that I can't afford really good lamp assemblies but was hoping that someone with some specific knowledge could recommend a simple bulb replacement for a maximum of $100 that wouldn't require any modifications ?

Much appreciated
    For the 2016's you can get a phillips 9011 for high and low beams. You'll have to trim a tab but these are brighter than any "bright bulb" you'll find because the 9011 is rated at 2350 nominal lumens vs. 1700 for the 9005. Silverstar bulbs (zXe) and other bulbs with blue filaments actually reduce your light output. Blue doesn't mean bright but it is an optical illusion and is perceived that way.

Sorry to disagree with you Crash68 but there is no way adding a blue tint to a bulb can increase brightness. It's like putting on sunglasses in the dark and expecting to see better. They get around this by under sizing the filament and over driving it a little but the result is really poor bulb life. Considering how hard it is to change bulbs in our trucks this is not a good thing :P

Quote Originally Posted by Crash68 View Post
    Please do post a lighting FAQ, I would imagine people are venturing to other forums for this information.... Post it and they will come, with questions of course.

While we're on the subject of projector upgrades, what are your thoughts about the fog light projector retrofit? Most likely the ones from The Retroshop.
    I'll definitely write one up when I have time. It will include some myths on tinted bulbs as I commented on above.

If you want HID fogs, definitely a projector is the way to go. Otherwise the glare will actually hurt you in the fog. IMHO, your truck has enough foreground lighting, especially with an HID projector that it isn't really beneficial. More light up close (foreground) actually hurts distance vision. In the fog however, a proper hid projector fog light would be beneficial because the light would come from well below the line of vision. Ideally you'd actually turn off the headlights while you're using them to reduce that bounce back effect.

For example my truck has Mini d2s 3.0 projectors, and I have so much foreground light from them that I can't even tell when the halogen fogs are on. I also see very wide and far so I don't see a useful purpose for them in my truck.

The primary purpose of a foglight in a modern day vehicle is to help you be seen, and arguably their secondary function is to illuminate the edge of the road/the lane to help you stay on the road during really thick fog.
    Radio_Flyer likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM ED
    Liked
    41 times
    If your going HID, I would go with the Morimoto projectors, then you will get almost all of the light put where it needs to be, instead of broadcasting the light where it isn't useful for the driver and you wont be blinding oncoming traffic. The younger crowd seems to stick HID bulbs in non HID projectors to be cool letting everyone know they have them. Ever see an oncoming car lights so bright you swear they have their brights on? Its no different than raising your oem lights out of adjustment to shine in others eyes.
    2015 CC 4X4 Tradesman

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    There's not enough headlamp adjustment to blind anyone with the RAM projectors IMO. I have HIDs in mine and they just don't throw far enough or high enough. Even with fogs, vision always feels limited at night.

I want to do the retrofit, but need a spare set of headlamp assemblies first.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ecodiesel Longhorn 4x4 CC
    Liked
    41 times
    Projector Upgrade-headlamp-pic.jpg
    I have placed these in my truck, in place of the quad headlamp buckets. '14 longhorn and am not able to get the high beam flipper to actuate without issues while running. High and low seem to work fine if the key is in the acc position. Low beams work fine all the time. Help me please.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 ED CC6.4 4X4 Laramie
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM259 View Post
    If your going HID, I would go with the Morimoto projectors, then you will get almost all of the light put where it needs to be, instead of broadcasting the light where it isn't useful for the driver and you wont be blinding oncoming traffic. The younger crowd seems to stick HID bulbs in non HID projectors to be cool letting everyone know they have them. Ever see an oncoming car lights so bright you swear they have their brights on? Its no different than raising your oem lights out of adjustment to shine in others eyes.
    ^+1

I did morimoto retro on accord I had well worth the money.

I was planning to do retro on the Ram (doing it right) swapping out halogen projector for a proper HID projector with a 50watt setup but keep putting it off.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn 4x4
    Liked
    97 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kelaog View Post
    For example my truck has Mini d2s 3.0 projectors, and I have so much foreground light from them that I can't even tell when the halogen fogs are on. I also see very wide and far so I don't see a useful purpose for them in my truck.
    So when I look at the Morimoto site and plug in my truck 2015 1500 with quad halogens it gives me the option of the D2S 4.0 projectors. Would I need to also buy some kind of projector housing? Or is a matter of a harness/retrofit kit?

I'm sure you would cover this in your FAQ, but looking for an early preview...
    2015 Ram 1500 | Big Horn | 4x4

Mods:
    Interior LED's, turbo silencer delete, DeeZee tailgate assist, LineX premium bedliner, 3.0% front tint to match the 3.0 displacement , Bilstein 5100's, 295/70/18 Ridge Grapplers, 18x9 Moto Metal 970's

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 ED CC6.4 4X4 Laramie
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalED View Post
    So when I look at the Morimoto site and plug in my truck 2015 1500 with quad halogens it gives me the option of the D2S 4.0 projectors. Would I need to also buy some kind of projector housing? Or is a matter of a harness/retrofit kit?

I'm sure you would cover this in your FAQ, but looking for an early preview...
    Those universal projectors are mounted in your OEM reflector housing by going thru the bulb mounting hole and secured with a nut on the opposite side. Make sure you have the right socket when doing it, i stripped 2 projectors first time i did it.

2010 Accord headlight with Mini D2S
    Projector Upgrade-accord-projector.jpg
    Last edited by JerseyDiesel; 01-24-2017 at 12:37 PM.
    SoCalED likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn 4x4
    Liked
    97 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDiesel View Post
    Those universal projectors are mounted in your OEM reflector housing by going thru the bulb mounting hole and secured with a nut on the opposite side. Make sure you have the right socket when doing it, i stripped 2 projectors first time i did it.

2010 Accord headlight with Mini D2S
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	accord projector.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	37353
    Makes much more sense now, thanks.
    2015 Ram 1500 | Big Horn | 4x4

Mods:
    Interior LED's, turbo silencer delete, DeeZee tailgate assist, LineX premium bedliner, 3.0% front tint to match the 3.0 displacement , Bilstein 5100's, 295/70/18 Ridge Grapplers, 18x9 Moto Metal 970's

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram diesel
    Liked
    6 times
    I am not sure where this will post, but my truck lights, are not bright, it is hard for me to see out there, on low beam, but high beam is fine, these are the stock bulbs that came with the truck, i hate to drive at night when it is hard to see the road. is this the same for every one, how can i fix this?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links