Oil change next week, which oil? - Page 2

Oil change next week, which oil?

This is a discussion on Oil change next week, which oil? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Maintenance forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Capt, the only minor downside is that it's 10 services for 60 months so I change the oil twice a year whether I need it ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Oil change next week, which oil?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie
    Liked
    114 times
    Capt, the only minor downside is that it's 10 services for 60 months so I change the oil twice a year whether I need it or not. Going in for change #3 at 19k miles.
    Captainmal likes this.
    2015 Laramie CC 4X4, Protection Group, Convenience Group, Tow Mirror and Brake Control Group, Anti Spin Diff, 3.55, Remote Start, Uconnect 8.4AN w/Altec Lansing Speakers(9), Romik Steps, Weathertech Mud Flaps, Dual Liner, AMP BedStep, Stampede Hood Protector, Edge Insight CTS2
    Gatortrax One MX Tonneau cover, Husky Centerpoint TS Hitch, Total Load Control Air Bags
    Build 12/2014

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Long Horn
    Liked
    90 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Layhne View Post
    Oil spec was changed for all models using the 3.0L VM motor.
    Per the Ram dealer in Minneapolis (Burnsville Dodge) I asked about Shell Oil and they said it applies to the 2016's left on the lot and all later builds, because they have to reprogram some software to compensate for the 15-40 weight oil. This came from the service writer, but sounds like a bullshit story to me. Awaiting your comments.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Granite Crystal 15 Big Horn Eco 4x4 Crew with 6'4" box
    Liked
    42 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smoky View Post
    Per the Ram dealer in Minneapolis (Burnsville Dodge) I asked about Shell Oil and they said it applies to the 2016's left on the lot and all later builds, because they have to reprogram some software to compensate for the 15-40 weight oil. This came from the service writer, but sounds like a bullshit story to me. Awaiting your comments.
    I hope they aren't using the 15-40 as it should be 5-40.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 CC 4X LARAMIE LONG BED
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smoky View Post
    The flash applies to 2016, the oil is changed on all 3.0l ecodiesel..check out I think it's version 7 of diesel supplement for 2015s.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Black Forest Green 4X4, Crewcab, Build date 12/14 .MOPAR Splash Guards, Kats Heater cord, NOCO Genius Plug Port, Dee Zee Tailgate assist, Bluetooth OBD2 Reader, Torque Pro app, Tyger Tonneau Cover, Cabin filter retrofit kit, Wadestar Cellphone holder, S/S Nerf Bars, 5w-40 Rotella T6, at 20k mi

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie
    Liked
    114 times
    Yes, the spec has changed fin the 2015 supplement. I'm going to ask for the Rotella and even see if I can get a few more changes since the cost of the oil change has dropped.
    2015 Laramie CC 4X4, Protection Group, Convenience Group, Tow Mirror and Brake Control Group, Anti Spin Diff, 3.55, Remote Start, Uconnect 8.4AN w/Altec Lansing Speakers(9), Romik Steps, Weathertech Mud Flaps, Dual Liner, AMP BedStep, Stampede Hood Protector, Edge Insight CTS2
    Gatortrax One MX Tonneau cover, Husky Centerpoint TS Hitch, Total Load Control Air Bags
    Build 12/2014

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ecodiesel Outdoorsman
    Liked
    27 times
    I too had the exact same experience you had at my dealer Thursday. I did not notice the invoice stating 10-30 was used until I got home, it said Rotella in the orders. I went back the next morning, the service advisor thought maybe what you described happened, but the said he would check the hand written log. He immediately came back and showed me the tech had in fact used 10-30 Pennzoil. He pulled my truck in., drained it and put in Rotella. Check it out if you really want Rotella, unfortunately the techs don't always follow the "special' orders.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalED View Post
    I have a 15, just did a oil change few days ago at the dealer. I mentioned the TSB and without throwing it out there, service adviser said "Yes we are showing the Shell".

Just a point - my invoice read as the same item # as my last oil change, which was with the Penzoil. Not sure if that is just dealer code for the specified oil?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Laramie QC EcoDiesel
    Liked
    124 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
    It's the standard Mopar service deal, lots of folks here have variations of it. I purchased it when I bought the truck along with the refundable Mopar extended warranty. My selling dealer and who I get service from is about 10 minutes further than the closest Chrysler dealer so it's not an inconvenience.
    I doubt that's standard at all dealerships. My dealer was very clear in telling me they had no oil change deals for EcoDiesels.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie
    Liked
    114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lbengston View Post
    I doubt that's standard at all dealerships. My dealer was very clear in telling me they had no oil change deals for EcoDiesels.
    What I meant was that the service warranty is standard Chrysler and available to all dealers, it reimburses the dealer up to $50 per service. In my case the rest is charged to the sales dept. I purchased this *after* the deal on the truck while talking to the business manager. I also purchased the "refundable" extended warranty which again is a standard Chrysler policy. The difference in my case is that my dealer was interested in giving me a deal to keep me coming back....can't speak for others.
    Build 12/2014

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I e-mailed FCA Canada about what oil I can use in my 2014 ecodiesel. . They replied I could use either the Penzoil euro spec 5w 30 that I have been using, or Shell rotella 5 w 40., both are acceptable. They did not mention that a refllash is required.. Shell rotella will be going in next oil change
    97hmcs and Captainmal like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie
    Liked
    114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BTbt View Post
    I e-mailed FCA Canada about what oil I can use in my 2014 ecodiesel. . They replied I could use either the Penzoil euro spec 5w 30 that I have been using, or Shell rotella 5 w 40., both are acceptable. They did not mention that a refllash is required.. Shell rotella will be going in next oil change
    That makes sense right? I mean they didn't notify us of a TSB or even send us a copy of the updated supplement. More than likely it's just a move by them to save money on stocking the oil.
    Build 12/2014

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links