Oil change next week, which oil? - Page 3

Oil change next week, which oil?

This is a discussion on Oil change next week, which oil? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Maintenance forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Originally Posted by BTbt I e-mailed FCA Canada about what oil I can use in my 2014 ecodiesel. . They replied I could use either ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Oil change next week, which oil?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BTbt View Post
    I e-mailed FCA Canada about what oil I can use in my 2014 ecodiesel. . They replied I could use either the Penzoil euro spec 5w 30 that I have been using, or Shell rotella 5 w 40., both are acceptable. They did not mention that a refllash is required.. Shell rotella will be going in next oil change
    They didn't mention it because there is no PCM flash for '14 and '15, only the '16 gets the computer update. The Rotella t6 5w40 change applies to all 3 model years.

I used the old spec at my last change because I had it on hand. Already bought the t6 for the next change, so much cheaper and can even find small rebates.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie
    Liked
    114 times
    I'm curious to know what changes they made in 16 that require the flash where earlier models dont. May just be that they haven't made a backwards compatible patch yet.

Anyways, I go in Wed am and I'll let you know if I get the new oil.
    2015 Laramie CC 4X4, Protection Group, Convenience Group, Tow Mirror and Brake Control Group, Anti Spin Diff, 3.55, Remote Start, Uconnect 8.4AN w/Altec Lansing Speakers(9), Romik Steps, Weathertech Mud Flaps, Dual Liner, AMP BedStep, Stampede Hood Protector, Edge Insight CTS2
    Gatortrax One MX Tonneau cover, Husky Centerpoint TS Hitch, Total Load Control Air Bags
    Build 12/2014

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman CC 6'4" Granite Crystal ED
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    They didn't mention it because there is no PCM flash for '14 and '15, only the '16 gets the computer update. The Rotella t6 5w40 change applies to all 3 model years.

I used the old spec at my last change because I had it on hand. Already bought the t6 for the next change, so much cheaper and can even find small rebates.
    So your telling me I need "NO FLASH" for my 2014. That's great news then as I will now run the Rotella t6 and go ahead and change my own.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
    I'm curious to know what changes they made in 16 that require the flash where earlier models dont. May just be that they haven't made a backwards compatible patch yet.

Anyways, I go in Wed am and I'll let you know if I get the new oil.
    I think that's the consensus. FCA made it a priority to make an updated flash for the '16 first, who knows when or if they'll make one for '14-'15.

BCLII, yes just run the t6, no flash needed for it. Many ED owners ran t6 before the spec ever officially changed.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie
    Liked
    114 times
    At the dealership as I type this. They thought the oil change was just 16 and up. I had them look up my VIN and read the diesel supplement and they are using the Rotella now. I must have been the first 15 owner to ask for it. They were both surprised and happy as they feel the Shell is a better oil.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    2015 Laramie CC 4X4, Protection Group, Convenience Group, Tow Mirror and Brake Control Group, Anti Spin Diff, 3.55, Remote Start, Uconnect 8.4AN w/Altec Lansing Speakers(9), Romik Steps, Weathertech Mud Flaps, Dual Liner, AMP BedStep, Stampede Hood Protector, Edge Insight CTS2
    Gatortrax One MX Tonneau cover, Husky Centerpoint TS Hitch, Total Load Control Air Bags
    Build 12/2014

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie
    Liked
    114 times
    So they installed the T6 and flashed the PCM RRT-16-021 Oil PN 68001332PA
    Build 12/2014

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Limited CC 4x4
    Liked
    354 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
    So they installed the T6 and flashed the PCM RRT-16-021 Oil PN 68001332PA
    So they applied TSB 18-018-16, which is different than the oil spec change TSB 18-078-16. There is only one latest version of the ECM software so you do have the ECM component of TSB 18-078-16.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie ED CC, 6'4", Delmonico Red
    Liked
    15 times
    So I had my truck in yesterday (via the wife) to have the TSB performed. I was at 9920 miles, cutting it kind of close. I did buy a Mopar filter off of Amazon and had them install that while changing the oil. I had them rotate the tires too.

When I got home last night and checked the invoice it did mention a 5w40 oil and "synthetic diesel oil", but the PN didn't match the TSB. A google search scared me with results showing 0w20 and 5w20, but when I called the service manager he said that they used the correct 5w40 oil, either the Shell or Pennzoil. He couldn't tell which one it was though. Does this sound about right?

Oil change next week, which oil?-fullsizerender.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BOhio View Post
    Bill, I'm in NH too. The Lakes Region, not far from Tilton. If you want to DIY for the oil change, I can talk you through it.
    BOhio,

Is your ED gray in color and do you trailer around 2 snowmobiles? I was in Tilton 2 weeks ago and saw just that getting onto the highway heading north. I'm in Canterbury and was heading to the in-laws in Laconia.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, 5'7" box. Charcoal Granite.
    Liked
    8 times
    Thought I'd add, I noticed a switch to 5W-40 only on my last oil change on my 2015 Eco Diesel with 63,300 miles. Before my last, they had been using 5W-30 weight oil. So I guess this must be Rotella T6, as the invoice makes no mention of it. Also, I see no evidence of a flash (sticker on oil cap, addendum to owners' manual). So I suppose those who stated above are correct to say that only the 2016 requires the flash. I'm going to look up the oil part number and see if I can confirm that it's T6 and no longer the impossible-to-find Penziol Euro-L (I think that's what it's called.)

Sound about right?
    Right on to the friction of the day.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, 5'7" box. Charcoal Granite.
    Liked
    8 times
    Thought I'd add, I noticed a switch to 5W-40 only on my last oil change on my 2015 Eco Diesel with 63,300 miles. Before my last, they had been using 5W-30 weight oil. So I guess this must be Rotella T6, as the invoice makes no mention of it. Also, I see no evidence of a flash (sticker on oil cap, addendum to owners' manual). So I suppose those who stated above are correct to say that only the 2016 requires the flash. I'm going to look up the oil part number and see if I can confirm that it's T6 and no longer the impossible-to-find Penziol Euro-L (I think that's what it's called.)

Sound about right? The PN for the oil is 68001332PB. Rotella, in 5W-40 is the same part number, but ends in PA instead of PB. I can't find any further info. Not sure what to think, guys
    Right on to the friction of the day.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links