Oil change next week, which oil?

This is a discussion on Oil change next week, which oil? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Maintenance forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Hi Folks, Taking my '15 in for an oil change and wondering if the oil spec has been changed for the 15's or if I'm ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Oil change next week, which oil?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie
    Liked
    114 times

Hi Folks,

Taking my '15 in for an oil change and wondering if the oil spec has been changed for the 15's or if I'm still going to get the Pensoil?
    2015 Laramie CC 4X4, Protection Group, Convenience Group, Tow Mirror and Brake Control Group, Anti Spin Diff, 3.55, Remote Start, Uconnect 8.4AN w/Altec Lansing Speakers(9), Romik Steps, Weathertech Mud Flaps, Dual Liner, AMP BedStep, Stampede Hood Protector, Edge Insight CTS2
    Gatortrax One MX Tonneau cover, Husky Centerpoint TS Hitch, Total Load Control Air Bags
    Build 12/2014

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Crew Cab SLT EcoDiesel
    Liked
    156 times
    Oil spec was changed for all models using the 3.0L VM motor.
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 3.0L EcoDiesel
    Crew Cab, 4X4, 5.7' Bed, 3.55 Gears, 17" Wheels, Stock Tires, Spray in Liner and Debadged

Anyone want to donate to the toy improvement fund?

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Ram Big Horn | 06 Liberty CRD Sport
    Liked
    834 times
    X2. Dealer may push the old oil because A) Trying to get rid of old stock or B) They are completely clueless.
    BCLII likes this.
    2015 Ram 1500 ED Big Horn (Purchased 8/15) CC 6.5' Bed, GDE Tuned Since Week 1, Pace Edwards Jackrabbit Tonneau, 1A Auto Tow Mirrors, Debadged, SLT Grill Inserts, XD 797 Spy 18x8.5 Wheel with Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 LT275/65R18 Tires, 20" Stock Wheels Plastidipped with 275/60R20 Blizzaks DM-V2
    2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, GDE Engine and Transmission Tuned
    2015 Rockwood Roo 183 Hybrid Travel Trailer

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn 4x4
    Liked
    97 times
    I have a 15, just did a oil change few days ago at the dealer. I mentioned the TSB and without throwing it out there, service adviser said "Yes we are showing the Shell".

Just a point - my invoice read as the same item # as my last oil change, which was with the Penzoil. Not sure if that is just dealer code for the specified oil?

Member #
    Vehicle
    '16 Big Horn CC 4WD
    Liked
    5 times
    FCA now recommends Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 per other thread(s) on this forum. Which is what I just used for my truck's first oil change. Have you considering a DIY service? It cost me $75 total in parts (oil from Walmart, filter from Amazon, see my intro post) and would have taken me just 15 minutes if I didn't let the oil drain out for half an hour. I did this because one of the local dealers -- when I called for an oil change quote -- told me to expect them to need the truck for at least an hour, because they let the oil drain so long. Whether that's necessary, who knows... but I had plenty of other things to do during that 30 minutes I let 'er drip.

I've owned/serviced a dozen vehicles since I began driving, and none of them was as simple to change the oil as it is on this RAM 1500 E/D. The idea that some dealers are charging $195 for this service (as I was quoted in fact by the store from which I bought my own truck!!) is not my notion of money well spent, especially when you don't really know if they even did the service, or did it properly, or used the right stuff. It's such an easy, and vitally important, part of your RAM's maintenance.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '16 Big Horn CC 4WD
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
    Hi Folks,

Taking my '15 in for an oil change and wondering if the oil spec has been changed for the 15's or if I'm still going to get the Pensoil?
    Bill, I'm in NH too. The Lakes Region, not far from Tilton. If you want to DIY for the oil change, I can talk you through it.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie
    Liked
    114 times
    Thanks, I got a package of 10 oil changes/Tire rotations for $46 per change. I'll let them do it
    Diesel78 likes this.
    2015 Laramie CC 4X4, Protection Group, Convenience Group, Tow Mirror and Brake Control Group, Anti Spin Diff, 3.55, Remote Start, Uconnect 8.4AN w/Altec Lansing Speakers(9), Romik Steps, Weathertech Mud Flaps, Dual Liner, AMP BedStep, Stampede Hood Protector, Edge Insight CTS2
    Gatortrax One MX Tonneau cover, Husky Centerpoint TS Hitch, Total Load Control Air Bags
    Build 12/2014

Member #
    Vehicle
    '16 Big Horn CC 4WD
    Liked
    5 times
    Heck, I want that deal. Did it come with the purchase of your truck? (And hopefully a dealership close to where you live...)

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie
    Liked
    114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BOhio View Post
    Heck, I want that deal. Did it come with the purchase of your truck? (And hopefully a dealership close to where you live...)
    It's the standard Mopar service deal, lots of folks here have variations of it. I purchased it when I bought the truck along with the refundable Mopar extended warranty. My selling dealer and who I get service from is about 10 minutes further than the closest Chrysler dealer so it's not an inconvenience.
    Build 12/2014

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    3808 times
    bill-e...

That just might be the best deal on an oil change with filter and labor in the history of the world or more. WOW!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links