RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Tcm/ECM updates.

14K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  16diesel 
#1 ·
Took the 2015 eco in for some factory updates. Dude said there was a brake controller and Key fob RF update. 115 for each lol.

#2 ·
What? $115?

#3 ·
I have a 2016 and get all of the updates for free. Just had mine in and they had updates for the: PCM, TCM, ITBM, RFH, IPC, ASCM. That was on a 2016 bought in June.

#4 ·
I'm at 44,000 miles now so he said the powertrain updates were covered under the powertrain warranty. The brake controller update and the RF module updates were not covered since I was past the 36,000 bumper to bumper. Oh and i,m not sure if the truck is relearning my driving style or what but I was only getting about 3 or 4 less mpg after the update.

#5 ·
I was under the impression that firmware updates (flashes) were free, period end of story.

#11 ·
I'm contemplating this as my truck goes in Wednesday for a leak behind the dash, driver's side. I will at that time ask for the TSB to be performed correcting the flickering headlights, but I'm not sure about this latest flash for the different oil weight and transmission shift points. Any thoughts? It's a January 2015 built truck, 33k and all stock. No flashes since I drove it off the lot that May.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Do not believe FCA what so ever about flashes , they out right lie !!!!!!! It happened to me , they said it was just a dash flash and they flashed my engine along with transmission and FCA actually denied the flashes over the telephone, until I found the flashes on the internet and confronted them about it and then the girl on the phone said I was just going to tell you about them , no BS either and then accused me of putting a tune in my truck because I knew of the change in my trucks operation, I got mad then and explained I had a edge code reader, then she said my dealership told them I had a tune which again was BS ,because I'm on great terms with dealership . FCA is a very shady and underhanded car company, but I'm very happy with my Cummins so far and as long as FCA puts Cummins in their trucks I'll keep buying them , but I've learned my lesson about their flashes, stay far away!!!!!!!!

#12 ·
Had mine in today to have the trailer brake controller I installed programmed to the truck. I told them they could flash the ECM but do not touch the TCM. They said no problem. Cost $ 50 for the controller programing that's all. They did not say anything about the engine oil change to me either??

#13 ·
Was the TCM flash the one that keeps RPMs up? Figured loss of mpg is that why you didn't want it updated? Kind of my thinking....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Update on the Mileage thing. My MPGs have returned to normal, maybe just a 1mpg loss but the shift points are definitely different now. They seem just a little higher on the RPM range before shifts. it feels like they found a midpoint between the old "normal" and Tow mode. I believe I'll be getting The GDE tune sometime soon though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.