Another One Bites The Dust! Bottom End Failure.

This is a discussion on Another One Bites The Dust! Bottom End Failure. within the RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Hey Guys and Gals, Sorry I've been quietly enjoying my truck, and I haven't posted much. A couple weeks ago my truck suffered a lower ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Another One Bites The Dust! Bottom End Failure.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 ST Quad Cab 4x4 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    7 times

Hey Guys and Gals,

Sorry I've been quietly enjoying my truck, and I haven't posted much. A couple weeks ago my truck suffered a lower end failure. So I'm going to tell the story of my truck, no I'm not going to bash it or anything, just give you the most honest feedback I can. So we ordered the truck in March 2014, received it in May 2014. We have only towed our 3500 lb travel trailer about 2000 to 3000 kms total with it. We had recurring engine light troubles that had to do with the exhaust, nothing exciting there. I had taken extremely good care of it, changing the oil at 12000 kms normally and 8000 kms when I had towed my trailer, using the Kendall 5W30 Euro. To be honest my wife drove it more than I did, she has a real nice easy drive to work that consists of 80km/h roads and a bit of highway. Her drive is approx 25 min and about 30 kms each way and she drives it 5 days a week. So the day it died it was making a funny noise, kinda like a pinging noise. I said to my brother that doesn't sound good, and pulled over. I looked under the hood and it was violently shaking at idle, as I went around to shut it off it stalled and died. I did not try to restart it, just got it towed because I knew what it was, and the dealership confirmed it when they told me they dropped the pan and it was full of metal shavings. It had 76,000 kms on the clock when it died. Now my bumper to bumper warranty was over (3 yrs 60,000 kms) but luckily I was still under the limited power train warranty (5 yrs 100,000kms). And a good thing too, the dealer in St. Catharines said this was the 5th or 6th one and they cost about $22,000 to change out. The dealership has told me "they fixed the problem but don't know what it was" And he wasn't sure but the warranty on the new motor is whatever is left on the power train warranty (24,000 kms for mine) Now I'm not much of a gambler so its getting traded in the day I get it back. I wouldn't tell someone not to buy one, however I would recommend the longest warranty possible. As for me? Sorry guys just test drove the 2017 Nissan Titan half ton, looks like a forum change for me!!
    My_Red_Ram likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2247 times
    Sorry to hear this. I hope all goes well with the engine replacement. Thanks for participating in the poll.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie 4X4 Bright Silver with matching Leer cap.
    Liked
    75 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy1252 View Post
    Hey Guys and Gals,

Sorry I've been quietly enjoying my truck, and I haven't posted much. A couple weeks ago my truck suffered a lower end failure. So I'm going to tell the story of my truck, no I'm not going to bash it or anything, just give you the most honest feedback I can. So we ordered the truck in March 2014, received it in May 2014. We have only towed our 3500 lb travel trailer about 2000 to 3000 kms total with it. We had recurring engine light troubles that had to do with the exhaust, nothing exciting there. I had taken extremely good care of it, changing the oil at 12000 kms normally and 8000 kms when I had towed my trailer, using the Kendall 5W30 Euro. To be honest my wife drove it more than I did, she has a real nice easy drive to work that consists of 80km/h roads and a bit of highway. Her drive is approx 25 min and about 30 kms each way and she drives it 5 days a week. So the day it died it was making a funny noise, kinda like a pinging noise. I said to my brother that doesn't sound good, and pulled over. I looked under the hood and it was violently shaking at idle, as I went around to shut it off it stalled and died. I did not try to restart it, just got it towed because I knew what it was, and the dealership confirmed it when they told me they dropped the pan and it was full of metal shavings. It had 76,000 kms on the clock when it died. Now my bumper to bumper warranty was over (3 yrs 60,000 kms) but luckily I was still under the limited power train warranty (5 yrs 100,000kms). And a good thing too, the dealer in St. Catharines said this was the 5th or 6th one and they cost about $22,000 to change out. The dealership has told me "they fixed the problem but don't know what it was" And he wasn't sure but the warranty on the new motor is whatever is left on the power train warranty (24,000 kms for mine) Now I'm not much of a gambler so its getting traded in the day I get it back. I wouldn't tell someone not to buy one, however I would recommend the longest warranty possible. As for me? Sorry guys just test drove the 2017 Nissan Titan half ton, looks like a forum change for me!!
    Did you drive the XD with the V8 Cummins?

I have read a little on the Nissan XD forum and I have not heard of an Cummins engine failures.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Quote Originally Posted by msp548 View Post
    I have read a little on the Nissan XD forum and I have not heard of an Cummins engine failures.
    There probably aren't enough on the road yet. Not many want to spend 3/4 ton money for an overweight 1/2 ton pickup.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel BigHorn
    Liked
    254 times
    Good luck with the XD. I think they are/will be a great truck. Totally different beast then the EcoD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    '16 3500 DRW C/C CTD 4x2 G56
    Liked
    689 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSky View Post
    There probably aren't enough on the road yet. Not many want to spend 3/4 ton money for an overweight 1/2 ton pickup.
    Yup. Nice truck, but for that kind of jing, I'll opt of a big truck instead.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 SRW
    Liked
    1654 times
    I'm getting almost 18mpg with 6.7 CTD, can't see why anyone would go for the Nissan. And that's in winter with much snow and 4WD most of the time.
    All opinions are my own, and always speckled with sarcastic humor... please do not take offense.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, GMC Duramax, Ford 7.3 diesel
    Liked
    2527 times
    Motor Trend says that the Titan mileage is dismal at 17.7 mpg combined and 20.8 mpg highway. My GMC 2500HD returns around 20 mpg combined and it weighs over 7,000 lbs. It consistently returns 23+ mpg highway.
    I guess it depends on what you need. If I were to change trucks, I would be looking at the Colorado diesel. I don't haul or tow.
    Gene

2014 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
    2001 GMC 2500HD Duramax diesel
    1992 Ford E350 Navistar diesel

"Science prevails over bullshit and superstition"
    -Me

Member #
    Vehicle
    Rams to many to list
    Liked
    827 times
    The handful of owners I know have No complaints on the Cummins Titan. The Aisin Cummins awesome combo. As far as mileage, its gotta be better than My 2001 Dakota RC/LB 3.9 winter beater I've been driving around, 13.1 Mixed 17 Hwy. Its a gas pig...... My ED never dropped below 20 Mixed winter and its way more truck than that gas pig..

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 ST Quad Cab 4x4 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    7 times
    Thanks for the encouragement. We actually picked up our ram at the dealers Saturday morning and drove straight to Nissan. I drove home with the Titan as planned but not the one you think. I wasn't planning to get the XD, I bought the Titan half ton. Very similar in many ways, same gas V8, but different frame, not as heavy. So far we are very happy but as always time will tell!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links