Brakes- Rotor problem

Brakes- Rotor problem

This is a discussion on Brakes- Rotor problem within the RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; I have 26k miles on my 2015 ED now. I drive approximately 90% highway. Over the past few months I've noticed a lot of steering ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Brakes- Rotor problem

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn, Flame Red
    Liked
    22 times

Brakes- Rotor problem

I have 26k miles on my 2015 ED now. I drive approximately 90% highway. Over the past few months I've noticed a lot of steering wheel shaking when braking. Rotors need to be turned. Has anyone else had problems with premature warping of their rotors? I say premature because I've barely used the brakes with all the highway miles!

I had a 2007 charger with brake issues within 10k miles too. maybe this is a Chrysler problem.

Let me know if you also had issues with your brakes. I contacted the dealership and this is not a warranty item after 12k miles.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    119 times
    warping can be caused by getting brakes very hot , then submerging in water
    boom /warp , I see you pull a trailer in your Avatar , any chance you got rotors hot
    braking with heavy load , then getting in water soon after ???? doesn't take many times

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    378 times
    Does the boat in your sig line have brakes?

Rotors should never warp if they do you are over heating them and or they are not correctly torqued.

To be honest I have never torqued a lug nut, but I'm pretty carful about tightening them up as evenly as I can by hand and have never warped a rotor.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    boom /warp , I see you pull a trailer in your Avatar , any chance you got rotors hot
    braking with heavy load , then getting in water soon after ???? doesn't take many times
    That could be the issue... although I've only been to lake approx 12 times pulling the boat just a few miles from where we store it. I don't get the brakes wet though in the lake now that I think about it. Anything else could have caused it?

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    Does the boat in your sig line have brakes?

Rotors should never warp if they do you are over heating them and or they are not correctly torqued.

To be honest I have never torqued a lug nut, but I'm pretty carful about tightening them up as evenly as I can by hand and have never warped a rotor.
    My boat has brakes on the trailer yes. Also, I don't mess with the rotors and have never touched a lug.

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    I really hope I don't have this problem with my truck.... It's becoming very apparent that they just don't make brake rotors like they used to. My wife's current car needed all four replaced because of warping. My last 2 vehicles before my Ram had issues with warping rotors. I always buy good quality rotors with a warranty when I need to replace them. Many of the aftermarket rotors out there now are very close to the minimum thickness when they are NEW - therefore, you can't machine them to true them up if they warp.

My mothers 2015 Jeep Cherokee is on it's second set of badly warped rotors.... I don't think this is an FCA thing, though. My wife's car and one of my other previous cars were made in JAPAN, and the last car I had before the Ram was a GM (gross, I know).

BTW, my wife and mother both drive like old ladies - and I am not hard on brakes either.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    375 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    Most common causes i have seen recently are lazy mechanics that don't torque lug nuts correctly. They wail on them with an impact gun. This puts an uneven load on the lugs and rotor. get the rotor warm and it will warp.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Crew Cab SLT EcoDiesel
    Liked
    142 times
    If you are the type to ride the brakes, or thump the brake (on-off-on-off-on) you can cause premature warping
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 3.0L EcoDiesel
    Crew Cab, 4X4, 5.7' Bed, 3.55 Gears, 17" Wheels, Stock Tires, Spray in Liner and Debadged

Anyone want to donate to the toy improvement fund?

Member #
    Vehicle
    4x4 ecodiesel quadcab 3.92gear MaxiMetal gray.
    Liked
    23 times
    I had a Chevy 1500 once that didn't have any brake problems until.. one day I had an enclosed trailer without electric brakes. I had to nail the pedal hard to avoid hitting another car. it instantly warped my front rotors. They shook with braking for a week before I had them replaced. sometimes it just happens.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Most likely incompetence on the part of whoever rotated your tires last. Just went through this on my Camry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links