RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Engine Failure with video prior

8K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  Defragger 
#1 ·
ok so I have been lurking around here for a while just not much of a poster and did alot of research prior to selling my g8 GT and my lifted bulletproofed king ranch 6 liter and getting this eco diesel truck my goal was to get better fuel milage than either of my other cars yet still have a truck to throw stuff in the back on the occasion that I need that.

anyhow I just bought a 2016 Eco on Jan 9th with 36000 miles on it I have loved the last month with it and was supposed to go buy the tag for it today actually.....

day before yesterday I noticed it seemed like the engine noise was slightly louder and a few times it seemed to stutter a bit when taking off from a stop sign but i just thought it was because the truck was not up to operating temp. well fast forward to wednesday night i took a buddy home after his bachelor party and when we were a few miles from his house I noticed what seemed to be a ticking sound and he was thinking maybe an exhaust leak and I was like thinking no it sounds like an engine tick... well we popped the hood at his house and I decided best to sleep on his couch and call dealer first thing in the morning so I called the next morning and they said just to drive it in and they would give me a loaner if it was covered under the powertrain warranty which sounded crazy to me but i said ok and hopped in and took off for the 15 mile drive over there and the truck definately doesnt sound good so I recorded a video of that sound which I will attatch below. made it about 3 miles and the engine just let loose made a loud bang and lost all power even though it was still idleing, killed the truck and there is oil all under it as well as i found a piece of the block i believe about 100 feet where i stopped on the road at.

finally Dodge sent a tow truck to get me and now its awaiting until next week when they can look at it but they did provide me a litltle junker car for now I pray im not 2-4 months without it like some have had....

really just wanted to share my experience most that have blown seem to be 14&15 models but mine has 39,500 miles on it now wish me luck

oh ps before anyone says anything about the check engine light.... that just popped up 2 days prior because of the cold temps the back rear tire dropped pressure some and kicked the light on but wouldnt turn off unless you fill it all the way to 39pounds .

Rock Hand Geology Finger Stone tool
Automotive tire Vehicle Tire Asphalt Road

See less See more
1 2
#3 ·
most impressive vid, sorry to hear it . Now the question I pose is. you knew somthing was not rite at you friends place do you tow or drive to destruction. Me I usually tow but is that the best course of action . If you had not driven it you may only be getting a set of shells put in and out the door . But with that little chunk you found its a long block for sure . That's the whole problem with warranty they will not fix anything till it absolutely blows up and possibly cause damage to other items that you may not be aware of . If those other items crap down the road somewhere you will have a hard time relating it back to the original problem. It's a hard choice to make, no warranty tow it before it implodes.

#5 ·
ya I called the dealer and told them it was knocking and the girl Laura in service said to drive it to them so I followed what I was told .... but yes i just hope this new motor is better I have owned 8 Diesel trucks prior to this one and have never ever expierienced something like this....

#7 ·
The problem with the smaller diesels making power on the order of 80+ hp/L means when things aren't right, they go wrong fast and bad.

Think about it, this engine puts out 240 hp stock. Thats more than my 1994 cummins 5.9 @ 175hp. a lot more. Clearances, bearings, alignment all has to be dead on.

#8 ·
Did you get a report on the truck prior to purchase? Seems like it may have had prior issues before you since it only lasted 3.5k miles? Irritates me they put us in puny loaners, IMO it should be comparable or "better" than what your dropping off. I paid for a $60K truck and have a $15K dart as a loaner.

Reactions: Sasquatchilly
#10 ·
haha they gave me a dart for my loaner as well... it makes so much road noise i think something is wrong with this thing because it only has 15k miles but oh well at least it will get me places for the time being...

ehart ya it sure got loud fast.... started a few miles before shutting it off at night then a few miles on the way to the dealer and the oil was full ... things just went south in a real hurry

#11 ·
I could have never done that. Sounds like a major knock from a connecting rod on the crank. It was clear the end was near.

Thanks for making and sharing the video. From the first instant I heard dropping to idle you could tell that was fatal. The dealer asking you to drive it there should be liable. Kind of wish you had that information recorded in case there's an issue that comes up.

Keep us posted as things move along with your repair.

#15 ·
I'm sorry that you have to endure this freak'n mess so soon after your purchase. Good video; keep it, you may need it for a future legal battle. Unless you have an exceptional dealer, you are in for a long haul. Your truck looked really clean for 36,000 miles!

You mentioned you had a "bulletproof" King Ranch. Why did you get rid of it if you had it "bulletproofed"? I would guess that SuperDuty was getting at least 15-18 mpg, right? Some of us were lucky to get 22 mpg out of our ED. If I had it to do over again, I would go for an older diesel that has been proven & doesn't have all the emissions garbage on it. I think the ED engine will be toast soon unless FCA pulls a miracle out of their anus. Good luck with the adventure & keep posting.

#16 ·
Ho Lee Chit.
That's a nasty sound. And yeah, I never would have done it, but tows aren't free and if the dealer isn't going to have it towed on their dime and tells me to drive it, I may have done the same myself even though I have free tows through AAA.
That's terrible.
WOW.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

#24 ·
Any updates? I think this is ridiculous. Why even waste money on dropping the pan?! Whats would that gain Chrysler?

#27 ·
That's terrible. I'm sure that FCA will take care of you but it's a PITA to have to wait and get it done. I asked my dealer just yesterday about the engine replacements and what have they done to make sure their better. He didn't know or wouldn't tell me. He implied it primarily the change to the engine oil spec. I asked why then, doesn't FCA just do a recall and give everyone a free oil change? No answer other than the 2015 change is coming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.