Service DEF System - See Dealer

This is a discussion on Service DEF System - See Dealer within the RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Got a MIL yesterday, thought I would document here so to help others. My ram currently has 4518km, it was a warm day yesterday here ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Service DEF System - See Dealer

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 SLT
    Liked
    88 times

Got a MIL yesterday, thought I would document here so to help others. My ram currently has 4518km, it was a warm day yesterday here with a high of -6c, had a cold snap overnight and it was -22c this morning. Block heater was on for an hour before leaving. About 2km/10min into my drive, the MIL iluminated and the "Service DEF System - See Dealer" message popped up on my EVIC. Truck drove fine for about 40km where I dropped it off at my dealer.

Dealer just called saying that they have performed a software update and the truck is now good to go. Shuttle will pick me up in an hour and I'll scan/post the diagnosis here for everyone's reference.

Mark
    DataRider likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    333 times
    Wonder if this is the backwards DEF heater programming being talked about?
    Tom
    2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Longhorn Crew 4x4, 5'7" box Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl with Lower Gold Two Tone Paint
    Black/Tan Leather, Air Suspension, Rear Window Defrost, No Slip Dif, Tow and Convenience Group, Ram Box, Tri Fold Cover.
    Order May 1, 2014 / Build May 15, 2014 / Completed May 29, 2014 and Shipped / Delivered June 18, 2014.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
    I just had the same thing happen to mine. Waiting on them to figure out whats wrong with it. Hopefully soon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 SLT
    Liked
    88 times
    They flashed the PCM and TCM, currently no light or message. Drove it around and there is a noticeable difference in the transmissions behaviour, wants to stay at the top of the gear longer. Was driving 50km/hr on a road, and it stayed at 2000rpm the entire time.

This is my report/invoice.

Service DEF System - See Dealer-capture.jpg

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram EcoDiesel Outdoorsman Crew Cab 4x4 3.92
    Liked
    75 times
    I got the same message today but since we've had a nice long stretch of sub -20C weather in Southwestern Ontario this past week, I'm just assuming it finally stayed cold enough, long enough for the DEF to freeze. I park inside and my DEF tank is just over 1/2 (at 5,500 km) so I may just throw some heat into the garage and see if I can warm it up before the morning. If that is the issue, does anyone know if the code will reset on its own or will I still be forced to take it into the dealer.

I try to avoid dealers as they are kinda like hospitals; if you aren't sick when you go in, you will be by the time you leave. Who knows what they will flash and %$k up.
    borntoarrest likes this.
    2015 Outdoorsman
    4x4 Crew Cab 3.55 Tow Package
    And a bunch of other options that aren't very "Out-doors-ish"

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 SLT
    Liked
    88 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorsGuy View Post
    I got the same message today but since we've had a nice long stretch of sub -20C weather in Southwestern Ontario this past week, I'm just assuming it finally stayed cold enough, long enough for the DEF to freeze. I park inside and my DEF tank is just over 1/2 (at 5,500 km) so I may just throw some heat into the garage and see if I can warm it up before the morning. If that is the issue, does anyone know if the code will reset on its own or will I still be forced to take it into the dealer.

I try to avoid dealers as they are kinda like hospitals; if you aren't sick when you go in, you will be by the time you leave. Who knows what they will flash and %$k up.
    I'm not speaking from authority on the 3D, but on other vehicles if the condition isn't seen again in x number of km or warm up cycles the MIL will go off although it will store the code. I would just take it in and get flashed, it's free and would take way less time if I had booked an appt. I was worried about running into the "vehicle will not start in xxx km" issue.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, GMC Duramax, Ford 7.3 diesel
    Liked
    2492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyZ View Post
    They flashed the PCM and TCM, currently no light or message. Drove it around and there is a noticeable difference in the transmissions behaviour, wants to stay at the top of the gear longer. Was driving 50km/hr on a road, and it stayed at 2000rpm the entire time.

This is my report/invoice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	740 
Size:	234.2 KB 
ID:	5436
    It sounds like the transmission is holding gears longer than it should. At 2000 RPM mileage will suffer. At any speed less than 60 mph, my truck will find a gear that will get the RPM down to 1500 RPM. It may be that your transmission hasn't relearned your driving habits yet.
    Gene

2014 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
    2001 GMC 2500HD Duramax diesel
    1992 Ford E350 Navistar diesel

"Science prevails over bullshit and superstition"
    -Me

Member #
    Liked
    25 times

See my previous posts from Friday .
    You Can reset code with obd2, (assuming you have enough heat /cleared the line, but km countdown to no start message could not be reset via obd2, though 40-50km later it reset/cleared on its own at 280km countdown . Been fine since Saturday afternoon (fault came in Friday afternoon).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 SLT
    Liked
    88 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
    It sounds like the transmission is holding gears longer than it should. At 2000 RPM mileage will suffer. At any speed less than 60 mph, my truck will find a gear that will get the RPM down to 1500 RPM. It may be that your transmission hasn't relearned your driving habits yet.
    Yes, I was thinking that, I'll observe and report back in a week.

Member #
    Vehicle
    3D TRADESMAN
    Happened to me today. I will take it to the dealer tomorrow if work isn't too busy, did 150km with no countdown appearing in my evic. Ideally id like to take it to the dealer on Wednesday, so I'll probably put another 150km on it tomorrow. I did notice that the mileage is going up, went from 9.3 to 9.8. Location is Ontario Canada.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links