Engine will not restart / P20EE

This is a discussion on Engine will not restart / P20EE within the RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; So I have had the P20EE code for a couple weeks but have not had time to take the truck in. On the way to ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Engine will not restart / P20EE

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

So I have had the P20EE code for a couple weeks but have not had time to take the truck in. On the way to work this morning I get the "Engine will not restart in 200 miles, service DEF, see dealer"....so I head straight for the dealership and drop it off, guy wasn't very friendly and indicated it would be there a week.

So....any idea whats going and what it is going to cost me since I didn't buy the extended warranty?

2014 Ram 1500 ECODiesel
    44,000 miles

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2217 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jgmeeks View Post
    So I have had the P20EE code for a couple weeks but have not had time to take the truck in. On the way to work this morning I get the "Engine will not restart in 200 miles, service DEF, see dealer"....so I head straight for the dealership and drop it off, guy wasn't very friendly and indicated it would be there a week.

So....any idea whats going and what it is going to cost me since I didn't buy the extended warranty?

2014 Ram 1500 ECODiesel
    44,000 miles
    Hopefully it will be covered under the emissions warranty.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Laramie Limited
    Liked
    246 times
    The P20EE code if it was caused by the SCR malfunction (a lot of trucks get this) is covered under the 80,000 emissions warranty (the only good thing the EPA has done for us).

Now, if the engine restart code is caused by bad or old DEF, that is not covered by any warranty.
    Troy - 2014 Ram EcoDiesel Limited

Join the Ram Truck Club on Facebook

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1156 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TSR6 View Post
    The P20EE code if it was caused by the SCR malfunction (a lot of trucks get this) is covered under the 80,000 emissions warranty (the only good thing the EPA has done for us).

Now, if the engine restart code is caused by bad or old DEF, that is not covered by any warranty.
    Frankly, I'm really tired of hearing about "bad' or "old DEF". This isn't directed at you TSR6, I'm just pissed that this is even coming up at all. Joe Blow buys a new Ecodiesel, fills the DEF tank per the owner's manual with fresh (who really knows) DEF from the local auto parts store. After about 15,000 miles, he gets these stupid CEL codes saying his DEF is bad & his dealer tries to blame Joe Blow for putting old or bad DEF in the truck. There are no guarantees in life, but I don't know of a single person that would intentionally put old or bad DEF in their new truck. A REASONABLE person would expect the local auto parts store to have DEF that meets or exceeds all OEM standards. I haven't seen any proof that Mopar DEF is any better than Peak or any other ISO certified DEF manufacturer. I understand that truck stop DEF is stored underground, so it's more temperature protected & it gets used up in mass quantities fast.

If the DEF in a bottle or box is bad or old, someone needs to be taking it off the shelf. At the very least, it should have a "use by date". Who would be that policing agency? I have no idea, but I'm really tired of hearing the BS that the customer that purchased a new truck is to blame. The auto parts store isn't to blame as they sell what they are given with faith that their product is correct. This needs to be about the OEM working with the DEF manufacturers to come up with a program of guaranteed freshness & a use by date. Rant over
    97hmcs, shaker223, wbdavey and 2 others like this.
    Former Ecodiesel owner - now 2016 Lexus RX 450h

Mopar Tonneau Cover, WeatherTec Bug Deflector, Geno's Garage Cabin Filter,
    JBL GX962 6X9 Rear Speakers, Infinity REF-3002cfx Dash Speakers

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    How do they come to the determination that the DEF is old or bad? I typically always use Blue DEF from O'reilly for like $12 a jug, but I was at Buccee's (large local gas station / convenient store, only present in texas) a month ago or so and bought the brand they carried for 1/2 the price, bought 2 of them. Went through 1 bottle and just added the 2nd jug Sunday...(had been sitting in my garage) for the life of me I cant think of the brand though.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, GMC Duramax, Ford 7.3 diesel
    Liked
    2498 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jgmeeks View Post
    How do they come to the determination that the DEF is old or bad? I typically always use Blue DEF from O'reilly for like $12 a jug, but I was at Buccee's (large local gas station / convenient store, only present in texas) a month ago or so and bought the brand they carried for 1/2 the price, bought 2 of them. Went through 1 bottle and just added the 2nd jug Sunday...(had been sitting in my garage) for the life of me I cant think of the brand though.
    To my knowledge, they can do two things.

1. Use a refractometer to determine the percentage of Urea in solution.
    2. Use test strips to determine if there has been oil (diesel) in the DEF tank.

Both of these tests can be done at home with a modest investment in equipment. I would suggest to anyone having this issue to take a sample of DEF before going to the dealer. Mentioning that you are going to have it tested independently may influence the outcome of their diagnosis. Also, keep in mind that DEF doesn't really deteriorate, it just gets weaker. In that case, up to a limit, the system just injects more fluid.

The above knowledge may save you $600-$800 to have your DEF system serviced if they point the finger at you.

Here are some of the test methods.
    Hershey and mitchmaclean like this.
    Gene

2014 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
    2001 GMC 2500HD Duramax diesel
    1992 Ford E350 Navistar diesel

"Science prevails over bullshit and superstition"
    -Me

Member #
    Vehicle
    14. ECD QC Tradesman
    Liked
    672 times
    During my warranty period, I will use only Mopar DEF. if there are any issues with the DEF....I will gladly point the finger right back at them. Post warranty, I will buy the Peak or other brand name version.
    mitchmaclean likes this.
    14 ECD QC Tradesman 4x4, anti - spin, full tow pkg, Dee-Zee running boards , Jeraco fiberglass topper.

Retired Police / DOT Enforcement Officer . Now into my second career.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    How long does it take this stuff to deteriorate? it seems like it burns through pretty quick...however I do have a daily work commute of about 75 miles round trip a day. It was a month ago today that I bought 2 gallons of it and just put the 2nd jug in yesterday cause I was getting close to the red line again and I was cleaning up the garage.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    1296 times
    When I was having issues I removed the def tank skid plate to remove the def line and on the bottom of the def tank the pump goes up in it and it appears there's about 6 stainless steel screws and a wire plug and it appears the pump comes right down and it looks very easy to remove, myself I wouldn't hesitate to pull it out and replace def fluid and then clean the injector , then if it comes back (P20EE)you eliminated the issues that the dealer will charge you for because it's been done for about 2 hours of your time if that and then put mopar def fluid back in if they tell you bad def ? A lot of these dealers really have no idea what there doing but there happy to charge you , this is what I've been learning from our web site. Good luck!!!
    97hmcs, Hershey and mitchmaclean like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Bighorn
    Liked
    132 times
    P20EE had to deal with the SCR so I wouldn't think it would be affected very much by the DPF which is further down stream in the exhaust where the DEF is injected, but I could be wrong.
    2015 CC Bighorn w/air
    2014 CC Bighorn Gone
    2007 5.9 Cummins MegaCab (replaced by the ED)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links