Eco diesel engine failures - Page 102

Eco diesel engine failures

This is a discussion on Eco diesel engine failures within the RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Originally Posted by Anomaly In my opinion, the writer of that article is poorly informed. He rants about cam gear slippage and no mention of ...

Page 102 of 103 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103 LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1027
Like Tree518Likes

Thread: Eco diesel engine failures

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    470 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
    In my opinion, the writer of that article is poorly informed. He rants about cam gear slippage and no mention of bottom end failures. I believe that we have only heard of 2-3 cam gear problems on this forum. The video was made by Shawn, a past member of this forum, who preached that we would all eventually have cam gear slippage. It hasn't been the case.
    i wouldnt be surprised if shawn wrote the article or helped write it. shawn was a nice guy but his "engineering" knowledge was nil. he was good at wrenching on cars but made all sorts of nutty statements and conclusions with little actual evidence.
    Anomaly likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DMac View Post
    I'm new to the forum. I bought my EcoDiesel 9/16 and have loved everything about this truck. I have found this topic interesting and concerning. Anybody hear about some sort of recall to address this problem? 14,000+ miles and so far so good. I read on another owner's forum that the 2016s had a cam bolt upgrade. Anybody familiar with this fix?
    Welcome to the forum! There are a variety of issues that people are reporting, but no single issue has been identified and recalled. In many circumstances, FCA has been very good about replacing the engine under warranty, which makes me believe they know the issues and are doing their part to rectify the problem. Whether true or not, it was mentioned that the new replacement engines will not repeat the problem.
    2015/3.0 Ecodiesel/Big Horn/1500/QCSB/4x4/8HP70
    2016/Travel Trailer/Arctic Fox/22G/LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

Member #
    Vehicle
    Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, GMC Duramax, Ford 7.3 diesel
    Liked
    2656 times
    Why would FCA recall for engine problems? It's less expensive to replace as needed.

There are a couple of members that are are on their third engine...allegedly.
    Gene

2014 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
    2001 GMC 2500HD Duramax diesel
    1992 Ford E350 Navistar diesel

"Science prevails over bullshit and superstition"
    -Me

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    470 times
    Why would FCA recall for engine problems? It's less expensive to replace as needed.

If they are in fact on their 3rd engine, which i doubt, These are the guys that ram should be hiring to test a truck. Seriuosly though, they should be hooking these trucks up with monitoring equipment to see why they are failing for these users.
    Diesel78 and MR. TED like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Limited
    Liked
    308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DMac View Post
    I'm new to the forum. I bought my EcoDiesel 9/16 and have loved everything about this truck. I have found this topic interesting and concerning. Anybody hear about some sort of recall to address this problem? 14,000+ miles and so far so good. I read on another owner's forum that the 2016s had a cam bolt upgrade. Anybody familiar with this fix?
    DMac...the best advice anyone on this forum will give you is to keep on enjoying your truck. There are many theories about what's causing the problems, but the bottom line is that FCA's not talking and they choose to just replace engines that fail. You'll see all kinds of percentages for engine failures, but again nobody really knows. Even if it was 5%, that still only means that 5 out of 100 trucks will have problems. To me that's pretty good odds. People go to Vegas all the time with considerably less odds. I like reading this stuff out of interest, but I don't lose any sleep at night. I still love my truck each time I get in it, and will continue doing so. If I do experience a problem, I'll deal with it then.
    2015 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Ecodiesel Limited, 3.92 gears, air suspension, towing package.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    34 times
    Wow, I had not heard that. Third engine? That's hard for me to believe. Does the owner get a new 100,000 mile engine warranty with every new engine, or is the warranty based on odometer miles?
    2016/Travel Trailer/Arctic Fox/22G/LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggn85 View Post
    If they are in fact on their 3rd engine, which i doubt, These are the guys that ram should be hiring to test a truck. Seriuosly though, they should be hooking these trucks up with monitoring equipment to see why they are failing for these users.
    I don't see why a forum member would lie about the number of engines they are on, but I suppose anything is possible. I'm sure they could prove their number of engines with paperwork. But I agree, at what point does FCA just buy back the truck? Throwing engines at it isn't going to help until the problem is solved. I'm starting to wonder if FCA doesn't have a stock pile of engines (after all, they were supposed to be in the 2017 trucks) and are replacing engines with the same flawed parts/design. This could possible account for why an Ecodiesel owner is on their third engine. It's just a thought.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    1524 times
    Biodiesel.... I believe Anomaly ( I could be wrong) is referring to a post one of our former members who quoted stories about owners on their 3rd engines ? That person is no longer a member here ,apparently he had issues with his wording. And I believe most members also found it hard to believe.
    Diesel78 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Haul N Grass View Post
    Biodiesel.... I believe Anomaly ( I could be wrong) is referring to a post one of our former members who quoted stories about owners on their 3rd engines ? That person is no longer a member here ,apparently he had issues with his wording. And I believe most members also found it hard to believe.
    Gotcha. So as far as we know, there are no solid reports of owners claiming that they are on their third engine.
    Haul N Grass likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, GMC Duramax, Ford 7.3 diesel
    Liked
    2656 times
    Quote Originally Posted by biodiesel View Post
    Gotcha. So as far as we know, there are no solid reports of owners claiming that they are on their third engine.
    I did say allegedly.... What that means is that I did see the post, but cannot confirm it. However, some people have won the lottery more than once, which would be much higher odds.
    Gene

2014 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
    2001 GMC 2500HD Duramax diesel
    1992 Ford E350 Navistar diesel

"Science prevails over bullshit and superstition"
    -Me

Sponsored Links