REVIEW: 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Towing and MPG Fuel Economy

This is a discussion on REVIEW: 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Towing and MPG Fuel Economy within the RAM 1500 Diesel News forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel category; The guys over at Fourwheeler.com got their hands on a 2014 RAM 1500 Diesel (Laramie Long Horn 4x4), hooked it up to a trailer, loaded ...

/div>
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times

REVIEW: 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Towing and MPG Fuel Economy

The guys over at Fourwheeler.com got their hands on a 2014 RAM 1500 Diesel (Laramie Long Horn 4x4), hooked it up to a trailer, loaded it up to near max towing capacity, and took her for a spin. While some 2WD versions of the Ram 1500 Diesel are rated to tow up to 9,200 pounds, the Laramie Long Horn 4x4 is rated to tow 7,300 pounds. Rather than a boring flat ground review they decided to push the 3.0L Diesel into some knarly grades exposing it to an impressive 11,000 foot elevation changes. The highlights include quiet operation and plenty of power. John Cappa, Editor in Chief of Fourwheeler, said:

The first thing we noticed is how quiet the 3.0L EcoDiesel is. It's a pleasure to tow with. Itís far more relaxing to drive than the rumbling and sometimes guttural Hemi V-8 gas engine, which has an appeal all its own. Our 3.0L backed with the eight-speed transmission and 3.55 axle gears was always able to maintain a minimum of 55-60 mph on our brutal test route. While ascending the steepest areas on the route, which included the 6 percent grade of the Grapevine, we had our foot to the floor and the V-6 was spinning at 4,000 rpm for several minutes in order to maintain 55 mph. On less steep sections the little diesel quietly motored along between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm, and still had enough reserve power to make passes.
    If you are wondering about fuel economy under max towing capacity and unloaded you will come away very pleased with their results. Remember folks, they tested under some pretty nasty grades:

During our harsh max-capacity towing lap we were able to drag the 3.0Lís fuel economy down to a respectable 13.8 mpg. We say respectable because many 1/2- and 3/4-ton gas trucks have trouble mustering even double digit mpg on this section of highway at full towing load. With the trailer unhitched, itís easy to take the EcoDieselís fuel economy into the the high 20s. The 3.0L diesel in our Ram purred at 1,900 rpm at 75 mph. On a 440-mile highway, mountain, desert, and Los Angeles traffic infused trip we managed to reach 26.1 mpg without much effort. This kind of mpg performance gives our EcoDiesel Ram about a 700-mile range between fuel stops when unloaded. We're sure that frugal hyper-milers could do far better than us and easily reach 30 mpg or better with an unloaded truck on mostly flat highway commutes.
    There you have it folks. A fully loaded out 2014 RAM 1500 Diesel Laramie Long Horn 4x4 --that's a mouth full-- pulls some very impressive numbers (no pun intended)

Source: Fourwheeler

Member #
    Vehicle
    06 Jeep Liberty CRD Diesel
    Liked
    10 times
    From my experience with the 2.8l VM, you don't want to keep it at 4000 RPMs. The EGTs skyrocket, and the engine starts to get hot. I have no issues towing my 4800lb "Box" at 55 to 60, WOT, at 2700 RPMs in the Jeep. This is from experience towing Northbound on Hiway 15, Future Interstate 99, in Pennsylvania.

LCR
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Is there a way to monitor EGTs from the cabin? I didn't see anything from the manual that was posted. If not, the Edge performance Monitors are killer when it comes to monitoring EVERYTHING.

LCR
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    On the Towing question:
    I know that ratios amount alot to the rated towing capacity but is that just for performance or can it destroy the differentials? for instance RAM HEMI with 3.92 gears give it around 10K towing, the 3.55 is ~8.5K and the 3.21 is ~6K. If I had 3.21 gears and tried to tow 8,000# would it just be a turd and stay in low gear pulling the load? or would there eventually be physical damage?

Reason I ask is because I am empty most of the time and have 1-300lbs of tools and gear for work in the cab/bed or tow 2-3K However every few months I need to tow 5-7K would the truck rated at 6K towing self destruct or just be a turd for the day?

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LCR View Post
    On the Towing question:
    I know that ratios amount alot to the rated towing capacity but is that just for performance or can it destroy the differentials? for instance RAM HEMI with 3.92 gears give it around 10K towing, the 3.55 is ~8.5K and the 3.21 is ~6K. If I had 3.21 gears and tried to tow 8,000# would it just be a turd and stay in low gear pulling the load? or would there eventually be physical damage?

Reason I ask is because I am empty most of the time and have 1-300lbs of tools and gear for work in the cab/bed or tow 2-3K However every few months I need to tow 5-7K would the truck rated at 6K towing self destruct or just be a turd for the day?
    IMHO, it would put more stress on the transmission. 3.55 is a good gear for this truck. I made a chart up, and compared it to my 3.73 in my Jeep, and even compensating for tire size. I wouldn't go 3.21 unless you aren't going to be towing much, or you live in a very flat area.

Quote Originally Posted by LCR View Post
    Is there a way to monitor EGTs from the cabin? I didn't see anything from the manual that was posted. If not, the Edge performance Monitors are killer when it comes to monitoring EVERYTHING.
    Only way to monitor EGTs is with a Pyrometer inserted into the exhaust. When I get mine, that is one of the first things that I want to do. And, because this vehicle has a DPF, a higher gauge is needed due to the extreme temperatures during regen mode.

LCR
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by choochooman74 View Post
    IMHO, it would put more stress on the transmission. 3.55 is a good gear for this truck. I made a chart up, and compared it to my 3.73 in my Jeep, and even compensating for tire size. I wouldn't go 3.21 unless you aren't going to be towing much, or you live in a very flat area.
    unfortunately 3.21 isn't offered with the diesel only 3.55 and 3.92 as of yet according to the build and price site so I may be good with the 3.55

Quote Originally Posted by choochooman74 View Post
    Only way to monitor EGTs is with a Pyrometer inserted into the exhaust. When I get mine, that is one of the first things that I want to do. And, because this vehicle has a DPF, a higher gauge is needed due to the extreme temperatures during regen mode.
    Not sure about this truck but my work fords and my 03 Dodge Cummins monitor stock and can be viewed through the OBDII with the Edge insight

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    10 times
    Here is a dropbox link to the Excel spreadsheet I made.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltmamffxyv...g%20Chart.xlsx

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    10 times
    [QUOTE=LCR;274
    Not sure about this truck but my work fords and my 03 Dodge Cummins monitor stock and can be viewed through the OBDII with the Edge insight[/QUOTE]

If the truck has a built in Pyrometer, then you can access it from the OBDII. I can't tell you which trucks do or don't. I know my Jeep Liberty doesn't, and I drilled and tapped the exhaust manifold for one. This one, I will do whatever is easier, which may be post turbo on the downpipe if it doesn't have a pyrometer.

LCR
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I have no Idea what all the info on the spread sheet means but I'll put it together tomorrow.

Also didn't realize that TDs would come WITHOUT a pyro from the factory. Seems like a no brainier on something that gets that hot, I guess light duty diesels don't get near as hot as in a 3/4 ton truck.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    That kind of fuel mileage while towing is quite impressive. I have a 2012 F150 Ecoboost and when I tow 7000 pounds I average about 8-9mpg according to the computer. I've seen as low as 7mpg though

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links