Considering Removing my 4 Corner Air Suspension

Considering Removing my 4 Corner Air Suspension

This is a discussion on Considering Removing my 4 Corner Air Suspension within the RAM 1500 Diesel Suspension - Chassis forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Hey y'all, I've been tinkering with my air suspension adjustment with the intent of running 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers this spring to increase clearance but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Considering Removing my 4 Corner Air Suspension

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 1500 Diesel CC Laramie
    Liked
    10 times

Lightbulb Considering Removing my 4 Corner Air Suspension

Hey y'all,

I've been tinkering with my air suspension adjustment with the intent of running 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers this spring to increase clearance but just can't leave well enough alone (I do a bit of overlanding and backcountry exploring not to mention need some clearance for heavy snow days). I started with the straight swap of front and rear ride height links which was a bad idea and caused a rough ride as the struts and air bags are essentially maxed out. I'm thinking my DIY adjustable link set up with the last parts due in today will at least find the middle of the road for comfort and clearance of the new shoes yet I'm thinking this is a band aid type solution....

1. Do I just get a few years out of truck with air ride tricked into being a level truck with 35's squeezed in?

2. Pull the air ride out (if it has value try and sell it?) and find a middle of the road Bilstein or Fox solution that will give me the ride + clearance + reliability I need?

Factors here would be if removing my air ride system would another non-air ride RAM want or be able to purchase? And do the benefits of the air ride actually outweigh going in the full delete direction? Any other considerations I should make before going one way or the other?

Thanks!

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Laramie Eco ,98 2500 cummins, 05 vw tdi
    Liked
    319 times
    Removing the factory air will decrease the resale value. I ordered the fact air ride because I priced out aftermarket air bags installed rear axe only and it was darn near the same $ as four corner air..

Do recall a thread about after market links for more clearance with big tires not sure about 35"s
    Last edited by Davemd; 01-09-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    499 times
    Wouldn't removing the air ride just flat out leave you with no suspension? Anyhow, the BDS 4" Suspension Lift Kit might solve your problem. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BDS Suspension
    Tire & Wheel Combinations
    35" x 12.50" w/17 x 9 and 4-1/2" back spacing
    35" x 12.50" w/18 or 20 x 9 and 5" back spacing
    *Trimming may be required*
    RAM1500Diesel, RamPower and RAMIT like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Limited
    Liked
    279 times
    I'd think twice before removing it. Aside from the mechanical part of removing it I think you could run into a host of electrical issues. There will be error codes from the system not being there along with trying to go into Aero mode etc. Removing it would be a last option for me. You might be better off trying to find someone to trade trucks with you.
    2015 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Ecodiesel Limited, 3.92 gears, air suspension, towing package.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    That's the best way to go. If money is the issue then trade your truck in for a non air ride suspension. Great advise and I just may consider this for mine.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie Crew ED with 6'4 RAMbox
    Liked
    99 times
    Anyone run the BDS setup for any length of time? Any issue with front driveline angles? Rear driveshaft angles?
    akburwell likes this.
    "Run silent, run deep"

2016 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4 Laramie 6'4 Rambox - Air Suspension - All Packages - NAV - AntiSpin - Sunroof - G2 BackFlip
    2015 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD
    2012 Volvo S60 T6 AWD

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    374 times
    if money is an issue i think trading in would crush you no? ud have to eat 2x the depreciation.

if u have a good dealer, id say talk to them. they might be able to remove your air suspension sales codes and ur electrical issues may not be issues anymore. i have no idea personally but id start there.

if anything you can sell the parts or put them back on tje truck and readd the option at a later date.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Laramie ECO with Air
    Liked
    2 times
    why not level the truck with the adjustable links and do a 1.5" body lift. This should give enough clearance for what you want. This is what I'm planning for mine.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Davemd View Post
    Removing the factory air will decrease the resale value. I ordered the fact air ride because I priced out aftermarket air bags installed rear axe only and it was darn near the same $ as four corner air..

Do recall a thread about after market links for more clearance with big tires not sure about 35"s
    This truck will prob never be sold so resale isn't a huge consideration but having the system in theory is a plus to the truck. There are adjustable links out there, upwards of $300. I have the materials to make a DIY set of adjustable links but am hesitant to do anything that "tricks" the Air Ride into staying higher as there is a sacrifice in ride quality and ability for the stock suspension, air bags and struts, to be as effective as designed. If you switch the links from the front to the rear I got a 2.5 inch lift all around but the speed bump sized snow ruts and other single hit type everyday road obstacles really weren't handled well. I'd be curious if someone out there has done an adjustable link plus replaced the struts with something longer?

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggn85 View Post
    if money is an issue i think trading in would crush you no? ud have to eat 2x the depreciation.

if u have a good dealer, id say talk to them. they might be able to remove your air suspension sales codes and ur electrical issues may not be issues anymore. i have no idea personally but id start there.

if anything you can sell the parts or put them back on tje truck and readd the option at a later date.
    Yeah, there's no consideration of trading it in. I think saving my dollars for the BDS lift is the best of both worlds... Adjustable links are a tempting shortcut I'll play around with though when the weather warms up, can't compromise my daily driver at this point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links