Largest sized travel trailer that we can buy?

This is a discussion on Largest sized travel trailer that we can buy? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Towing & Hauling forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Hi there, I've read tons and tons of posts on TT's and there are some awesome ones posted to be sure. Questions: How much can ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Largest sized travel trailer that we can buy?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie LTD Crew Cab ED Black of course.
    Liked
    235 times

Hi there,

I've read tons and tons of posts on TT's and there are some awesome ones posted to be sure.
    Questions:

How much can I get away with? Length and weight?

I have a 2015 ED with the Ram Box with air susp. and 3:55's.

I've learned that we can pull up to 8800 lbs but how much is too much? These trailers DO have their own brakes right?

Has anyone pulled a 5th wheel with one of our trucks?

It will be to haul around Ontario with 2 to 3 hr trips nothing more.

My buddy has an old 3/4 ton Dodge Mega Cab and is pulling a 13,000 lb monster 5th wheel!
    2015 Laramie ED 1500 Crew 4X4 Loaded. At 10000 kms now
    2003 GMC Duramax 2500 Crew 6.6 litre Diesel 4X4 Loaded
    1993 Chevrolet 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel Ext Cab Loaded
    1986 GMC 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel REG CAB Loaded

Most people become "confused" with the facts and the truth.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Outdoorsman Quad BlueStreak Pearl
    Liked
    1282 times
    I pull a 31 ft TT ,dry weight is 6200, loaded for a long trip with small amount of fresh water it is right at 8200. I have 7000 plus miles towing that trailer with no problems. I do not tow over 63 MPH and always with the transmission set in 7th. Most of the towing is done in 6th, 5th or lower letting the transmission pick the best gear. One could get away with more but this is what I feel is a load for our 1500 with the GDE tune and doing it safely.
    Remmos likes this.
    Prior Rams. 91 2door 95 2500 Extended Cab 03 3500 Grew Cab long bed & all 4 X 4’s

Member #
    Vehicle
    4X4 2015 ED Outdoorsman CC ordered 8/12/14. Plan B 2014 Laramie ED CC 4X4 purchased 11/1/14.
    Liked
    2058 times
    Moved to Towing and Hauling...best responses likely here. Good luck in your search dd. Post up when you find it.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM EcoDiesel (Laramie, 4X4, CC)
    Liked
    844 times
    First I'm going to suggest you keep researching. There is a TON to learn on this topic before making any decisions. And honestly, you really shouldn't take other people's answers as your decision point. Circumstances differ.

When I moved to Cali, I towed a loaded down 12' enclosed toy trailer. Two motorcycles and stuff. I rolle don a CAT scale and the ticket rang up to a few pounds under 11,000 pounds for the truck, me, trailer and two small dogs. The EcoDiesel hardly noticed the weight.

As for things liek trailer brakes - they all vary. GENERALLY larger travel trailers have them, but again, research and verify. There is no standard.

Oh, and read your owner's manual. It's full of useful details on towing and hauling. Excellent starting point to establish a baseline to work from.

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Ram Big Horn | 06 Liberty CRD Sport
    Liked
    778 times
    Answer to this will vary like the wind. In most situations, you will go over payload long before reaching the fictional number of the tow rating. That being said, our trucks are not a good option for a fifth wheel, because of the lack of payload. People have done it, but our rear axle rating is only 3900lbs. When you're talking 1500lbs of pin plus 150 pounds of hitch plus the weight of the truck and people.

One thing about towing a travel trailer is the wind resistance.

Here is a good post from Vern
    ED tows moderate loads reliably
    dieseldoya likes this.
    2015 Ram 1500 ED Big Horn (Purchased 8/15) CC 6.5' Bed, GDE Tuned Since Week 1, Pace Edwards Jackrabbit Tonneau, 1A Auto Tow Mirrors, Debadged, SLT Grill Inserts, XD 797 Spy 18x8.5 Wheel with Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 LT275/65R18 Tires, 20" Stock Wheels Plastidipped with 275/60R20 Blizzaks DM-V2
    2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, GDE Engine and Transmission Tuned
    2015 Rockwood Roo 183 Hybrid Travel Trailer

Member #
    Vehicle
    '15 ED, CC, 6'4", 4x4, Air Susp, Longhorn
    Liked
    648 times
    Depends on what you mean by largest. Longest or heaviest? A 30 ft bumper pull is pretty straight forward with our trucks. You're going to absolutely 100% need a load leveling/ anti sway hitch. For weight I'd stay under 9k max. With GDE and 3.55s this weight is totally doable but will be slowing down on big hills.

There is a bit of an art to towing something that long and that heavy with these trucks. Truck will tow without issue when setup properly and towed with the proper technique. It's not a 3/4 ton though so don't think it's just a hitch and go with cruise control set and forget type deal.

All travel trailers of any size have brakes standard. Also make sure you leave yourself room for the weight of all your gear. If you want to stay under 8k loaded down then you need to account for the weight of all the gear you throw in the trailer plus water, grey water etc. This stuff adds up. Trailer salesmen are notorious for under estimating empty trailer weight too. I'd get the perspective trailer on a scale before taking it home. If he tells you it weighs 6k empty but it's really 7.5k then you'll be in a pickle once you load all your stuff.

Good luck to you. Lot of experienced travel trailer guys on this site (not me I do car haulers). Don't be afraid to ask them about different models.
    dieseldoya likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '16 3500 DRW C/C CTD 4x2 G56
    Liked
    686 times
    I towed a 35' (31'box) TT that was 6400 dry with my ED. It was equipped with 3.55's and GDE tune. I believe being a 4WD Crew the tow rating was 7800lbs. With aftermarket springs in the back, airbags and a nice WD hitch the truck did fine towing it. It was a bit of a handful with gusty crosswinds. As RB33 alluded to, don't be in a hurry and it will work. I would not tow anything above this size with this truck, but thats just me. I know others go further, but I'm not comfortable with it. If I had to do it all over again with an ED, I would have limited myself with a 26 footer at 5K or so. Its just a better match. Again, thats just my opinion. Since buying my new truck it has really opened my eyes to what safe and secure towing really means.
    AZRB, ESRAM and dieseldoya like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1571 times
    Like others have said, there is no perfect answer, it's like making stew. You can get away with longer, if it's lighter. Is the trailer tongue heavy? Can you distribute weight in the trailer to balance the load? Etc, etc.

My personal feeling is about 30' and a gross weight of up to 8500 or so is perfectly safe. Keep in mind that the gross number will include 1500 or so for cargo. So, about 7000 empty and 30ish foot would be about it for my comfort level, which of course varies from person to person.

Best of luck on your research/shopping!
    dieseldoya and choochooman74 like this.
    All opinions are my own, and always speckled with sarcastic humor... please do not take offense.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie LTD Crew Cab ED Black of course.
    Liked
    235 times
    Thank you for the responses.

I really was hoping for something around 34' which I have learned that they are about 7500 lbs dry so wet and full around 10,000 lbs. Longer the better. Longer can have up to 3 or 4 slides.

While I understand that it would be over the limit, I still think the ED should be able to haul it. Yes, on the windy days it'll be a PITA but I am never in any hurry. My neck of the woods is pretty flat so no worries there and there is no interest in driving across the country either.

The farthest I'd be going would be a couple of hours on a weekend trip here and there. A 5th wheel would be more desirable size wise but from what I see on our site here is that no one seems to be hauling them. My buddy's "heavy half" Mega Cab is hauling a 38' 5th wheel at 13,500 lbs. He says you just need to take it easy.
    Trailer breaks of course would be assisting in stopping I'm sure.
    2015 Laramie ED 1500 Crew 4X4 Loaded. At 10000 kms now
    2003 GMC Duramax 2500 Crew 6.6 litre Diesel 4X4 Loaded
    1993 Chevrolet 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel Ext Cab Loaded
    1986 GMC 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel REG CAB Loaded

Most people become "confused" with the facts and the truth.

RAM Jr Member Laramie Fisherman's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie Eco
    Liked
    16 times
    Not trying to sound like a Dick but the fact your unsure about whether trailers have there own brakes tells me you are very new to towing. Most trailers you are looking at in the 34' range with 3 slides plus are going to be 8000-9000lbs dry from what I've seen. I have no doubt the truck will pull it but there is a lot more to it. 31-36ft travel trailers are actually 35-40ft long overall with the tongue length. Manovering and parking trailers that long is not an easy task. Weight distributing hitches are a must with sway control. Everyone starts somewhere but that is a lot of trailer to learn on. I was looking to upgrade my 28' TT (32' overall) and 5700lbs dry for something similar to what you are looking at but all the campsites we enjoy are just not big enough for anymore trailer than we have and you are stuck with all the wide open pull through sites and such. Just something to think about.
    JohnC likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links