Not an ideal first time towing experience next month -- ALCAN Highway. - Page 2

Not an ideal first time towing experience next month -- ALCAN Highway.

This is a discussion on Not an ideal first time towing experience next month -- ALCAN Highway. within the RAM 1500 Diesel Towing & Hauling forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Insulated rubber gloves that allow some dexterity . Keep them in your drivers door pocket. If you have to do any trailer/ tire work you ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Not an ideal first time towing experience next month -- ALCAN Highway.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Laramie ED
    Liked
    203 times
    Insulated rubber gloves that allow some dexterity . Keep them in your drivers door pocket. If you have to do any trailer/ tire work you will be glad you have them. As a long time snowmobiler, there is nothing worse than mucking around with sleds/ trailers etc. With cold wet hands. You can also use them for fuel stops. Also bring a light ax for gently, knocking frozen slush off trailer doors. Remember everything gets stiff and breaks easier when cold, might want some alcohol for any frozen locks as well. One more thing bring PLENTY of windshield washer fluid.
    Last edited by sfraser; 01-02-2017 at 09:12 AM.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 Laramie ED 4x4 Crew, Line-X, 13" antenna, Razor Hitch, Bilstein 5100, Vtech Wheels,

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    3791 times
    First - Welcome. First, 2nd, third and fourth post on the forum.

Say this a lot for those adding load into the bed and towing. Adding a simple pair of Timbren bumper stops will help handle the additional suspension load with the bed loaded and trailer tongue-weight added.

Aggressive tread on different tires just might be real useful. Snow can get deep and the roads, from my summer motorcycling experience, can be hard to even follow at times, especially if snow covered. There will be snow in winter and long stretches of "nothing" to go with it. Use treated fuel and carry some anti-gel also to supplement in case the temperatures get -20*F or lower. They probably will. Don't forget warm clothing and coverings if delayed outside. Places to shelter are sparse in some areas. Consider a spare fuel container if delayed and some drinks and food also. Communication is sometimes broken at certain spots so figure you might need to take care of yourself if need be.

Reads like an adventure. I say, go for it.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    1600 times
    "If you have a spare wheel bearing, grease and the tools to change it, you'll never need one." That might be the most prophetic advice ever given on our forum.

Lots of great helpful useful advice on this thread. Living in a more moderate climate I hadn't thought about it. I'm so spoiled with axle to frame air bags I never recommend the Timbrens but knowing air pressure is more difficult to keep in extreme weather & the Timbrens are a sealed bag I would have to admit this would be a situation where it would probably be a better choice.
    Diesel78 likes this.
    Airstream, TT, Boat, transporter. Factory receiver 1,290/12k (w WDH) factory brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera. Andersen 4" drop/rise light quiet no sway WDH 1,400/14k and 6" drop/rise alum Rapid Hitch1,500/10k w greaseless ball saves 16lbs over steel. Turnover ball GN hitch w 5er adapter, TLC Axle to frame air bags & mini compressor, GDE tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow 9,200, GCAR 7,800, Max RAM 1500 GCWR 15,950

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    14 RAM
    Liked
    29 times
    Take a couple of cans of fuel. Waiting until July would be optimal.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Outdoorsman QC 4x4
    Liked
    112 times
    On my last trip this summer (8300kms from Ontario to Alberta Canada and return), having a quality jack, small compressor w/ air hose and a tire chuck is a bonus. Plus having a full toolset is a must. I also recently installed a set of TLC Air Suspension bags, and they are worth their weight in gold

Best of luck on the trip!
    VernDiesel likes this.
    2016 Outdoorsman Blue Streak Pearl 3.0L EcoDiesel Quad Cab 4x4

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    I first want to thank the folks here for all of the advice.

I did head out on this trip this morning. I'll attach a couple photos below.

Before leaving I was able to act on some, but not all of the recommendations:

electronic brake controller
    mud flaps
    heater core cord
    Timbren ses
    gloves
    chains
    locks

The trailer was packed to the brim and not with light stuff. Bed of truck also has a washer and dryer, full weber BBQ and misc. I think I was most thankful for the Timbrens,

First day weather was very favorable. Only some slight flurries at one point but most of the day was overcast or clear. Roads were much like in the photo below or compact ice but usually bare along the wheel paths.

I traveled 462 miles today and got to Quesnel. Truck performed flawlessly. The computer said I got 15.2 mpg. I don't have any trailer experience to compare this to, but I'm amazed by this mpg given all the climbing I did with that load. I'm happy.

Thank you all for making my first day safe and enjoyable. I'll try to provide an update on day 2 tomorrow night.

Not an ideal first time towing experience next month -- ALCAN Highway.-truck.jpgNot an ideal first time towing experience next month -- ALCAN Highway.-lupic.jpg

Thanks everyone for helping
    Crash68, Top, BlueMerleBC and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 RAM 1500 Lone Star EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1413 times
    Have a safe trip!

Nice pictures of the scenery.
    Always learning.

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Day 2 update.

Went about 700 miles today and hit my first issue. Temperatures dropped to -34F at about the 650 mile mark. Then the Electronic Throttle Control light went on. Just prior we could hear what sounded like a pump making repeated noises as it tried to pump. Power dropped on the engine. Stop/Start did not clear it.

I did add diesel additive to the tank ahead of time knowing it was going to be very cold.

We limped in to a hotel. Plugged in the block heater.

Tomorrow is Sunday so will probably have to wait until Monday to have it looked at

dloop

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    3791 times
    Oh poo. I was afraid of that extreme cold. Sitting outside all night may just compound the issue with DEF freezing in the lines and/or tank.

36* here right now. We act like we are freezing this morning. You are near -36*. I would not be able to act like I was freezing since I would be quite stiff and dead. Today is the tomorrow you referred to. Try to keep warm.
    Use your head or my may have to use your feet.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    1180 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dloop View Post
    Went about 700 miles today and hit my first issue. Temperatures dropped to -34F at about the 650 mile mark. Then the Electronic Throttle Control light went on.
    Do you have the winter front on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    I was afraid of that extreme cold. Sitting outside all night may just compound the issue with DEF freezing in the lines and/or tank.
    IIRC, this was discussed last year, there was an update that basically turns off(or part of) the DEF system when the truck is in extreme cold. Somewhere around -14°F(-25°C).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links