RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Not an ideal first time towing experience next month -- ALCAN Highway.

8K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  newdieselblood 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

I have a 2016 1500 ED Tradesman CrewCab. I have added no options to the base model other than my dealer will be installing an OEM electronic brake controller next week.

I may be required to haul a bunch of household items from Seattle to Anchorage through the ALCAN Highway next month.

The bed of the truck will have a pair of (smallish compared to typical US models) European washer/dryer.

I will be hauling all of the remaining household goods (two beds, furniture, boxes) in an Interstate 7x16 enclosed cargo trailer. Like this one:
https://www.trailersplus.com/Idaho/Post_Falls/7-Wide-Cargo-Trailers/trailer/4RALS1629HN100440

I know there will be some that suggest not making the trip at all. That may end up being the case, but if I have to make the trip I want to be as prepared as possible.

I greatly appreciate any advice you can provide as it could very easily positively impact my safety next month.

<first time poster>

dloop

See less See more
#3 ·
Hitch and go. Won't be an problem wiith your truck. Obviously you'll want a brake controller assuming the trailer is eauppped with elect brakes. If you're expecting a lot of ice or snow get some chains.

Best of luck and enjoy the trip. Should be a beautiful drive.

#5 · (Edited)
New truck I assume good tires. Naturally better tires are available. If it's the factory Wranglers they are not the best on any gravel roads you might travel up there. As in they puncture fairly easy if they are not the factory LT tires. Check your spare make sure it has proper pressure. Do you have the leather weather front for your grill and also the cord behind the passenger side front grill top corner to plug her in when temps drop & you stop for the night. Might bring some extension cord to facilitate this. Maybe the optional factory rubber mud flaps to minimize stone chips. If you add tools etc & the trailer gets north of 5k a no sway WDH makes for safer more enjoyable yow especially at highway speed. We have had a couple members who have made that drive perhaps they can chime in.

BTW. Welcome to the forum

#6 ·
I second what Vern said about the tires, I would want something better than the Goodyear SR-A tires if the roads are gnarly. The upgraded factory tires(Goodyear Silent Armor LT load range E) would be a better choice. Also swap out the spare tire with above.
Something else to consider, depending on how much weight you'll have in the bed plus tongue weight, you may have some squatting to deal with. A set of Timbrens or Airlift 1000 may be added quickly and rather inexpensively. Keeping tabs on how/where things are loaded can minimize squatting.
Also have tongue and hitch locks in case you have to leave the trailer somewhere temporarily.

#10 ·
Don't forget good spare tire(s) for the trailer and the right jack, lug wrench to change. If you have a spare wheel bearing, grease and the tools to change it, you'll never need one. Tire pressure monitor for the trailer tires.

#11 · (Edited)
Insulated rubber gloves that allow some dexterity . Keep them in your drivers door pocket. If you have to do any trailer/ tire work you will be glad you have them. As a long time snowmobiler, there is nothing worse than mucking around with sleds/ trailers etc. With cold wet hands. You can also use them for fuel stops. Also bring a light ax for gently, knocking frozen slush off trailer doors. Remember everything gets stiff and breaks easier when cold, might want some alcohol for any frozen locks as well. One more thing bring PLENTY of windshield washer fluid.

#12 ·
First - Welcome. First, 2nd, third and fourth post on the forum.

Say this a lot for those adding load into the bed and towing. Adding a simple pair of Timbren bumper stops will help handle the additional suspension load with the bed loaded and trailer tongue-weight added.

Aggressive tread on different tires just might be real useful. Snow can get deep and the roads, from my summer motorcycling experience, can be hard to even follow at times, especially if snow covered. There will be snow in winter and long stretches of "nothing" to go with it. Use treated fuel and carry some anti-gel also to supplement in case the temperatures get -20*F or lower. They probably will. Don't forget warm clothing and coverings if delayed outside. Places to shelter are sparse in some areas. Consider a spare fuel container if delayed and some drinks and food also. Communication is sometimes broken at certain spots so figure you might need to take care of yourself if need be.

Reads like an adventure. I say, go for it.

#13 ·
"If you have a spare wheel bearing, grease and the tools to change it, you'll never need one." That might be the most prophetic advice ever given on our forum. :D

Lots of great helpful useful advice on this thread. Living in a more moderate climate I hadn't thought about it. I'm so spoiled with axle to frame air bags I never recommend the Timbrens but knowing air pressure is more difficult to keep in extreme weather & the Timbrens are a sealed bag I would have to admit this would be a situation where it would probably be a better choice.

Reactions: Diesel78
#15 ·
On my last trip this summer (8300kms from Ontario to Alberta Canada and return), having a quality jack, small compressor w/ air hose and a tire chuck is a bonus. Plus having a full toolset is a must. I also recently installed a set of TLC Air Suspension bags, and they are worth their weight in gold

Best of luck on the trip!

#16 ·
I first want to thank the folks here for all of the advice.

I did head out on this trip this morning. I'll attach a couple photos below.

Before leaving I was able to act on some, but not all of the recommendations:

electronic brake controller
mud flaps
heater core cord
Timbren ses
gloves
chains
locks

The trailer was packed to the brim and not with light stuff. Bed of truck also has a washer and dryer, full weber BBQ and misc. I think I was most thankful for the Timbrens,

First day weather was very favorable. Only some slight flurries at one point but most of the day was overcast or clear. Roads were much like in the photo below or compact ice but usually bare along the wheel paths.

I traveled 462 miles today and got to Quesnel. Truck performed flawlessly. The computer said I got 15.2 mpg. I don't have any trailer experience to compare this to, but I'm amazed by this mpg given all the climbing I did with that load. I'm happy.

Thank you all for making my first day safe and enjoyable. I'll try to provide an update on day 2 tomorrow night.

Vehicle Car Night Snow Automotive exterior
Mountainous landforms Road Snow Mountain pass Highway

Thanks everyone for helping

#18 ·
Day 2 update.

Went about 700 miles today and hit my first issue. Temperatures dropped to -34F at about the 650 mile mark. Then the Electronic Throttle Control light went on. Just prior we could hear what sounded like a pump making repeated noises as it tried to pump. Power dropped on the engine. Stop/Start did not clear it.

I did add diesel additive to the tank ahead of time knowing it was going to be very cold.

We limped in to a hotel. Plugged in the block heater.

Tomorrow is Sunday so will probably have to wait until Monday to have it looked at :(

dloop

#20 ·
Went about 700 miles today and hit my first issue. Temperatures dropped to -34F at about the 650 mile mark. Then the Electronic Throttle Control light went on.
Do you have the winter front on?
I was afraid of that extreme cold. Sitting outside all night may just compound the issue with DEF freezing in the lines and/or tank.
IIRC, this was discussed last year, there was an update that basically turns off(or part of) the DEF system when the truck is in extreme cold. Somewhere around -14°F(-25°C).

#19 ·
Oh poo. I was afraid of that extreme cold. Sitting outside all night may just compound the issue with DEF freezing in the lines and/or tank.

36* here right now. We act like we are freezing this morning. You are near -36*. I would not be able to act like I was freezing since I would be quite stiff and dead. Today is the tomorrow you referred to. Try to keep warm.

#21 ·
Sorry I haven't updated on our ALCAN trip in a couple days.

In my previous update I mentioned while we were experiencing temperatures down to -34F, our Electronic Throttle Control light went on and then the engine check light went on, and we limped in to Dease Lake on half power. That was late Saturday evening.

That night I contemplated all the various options for Sunday with our derated diesel engine and what it might cost to tow it somewhere. What to do with our trailer, etc. It was very depressing.

Sunday morning (-34F again) I awoke I went across the street to a small grocery. Some diesel fuel pumps were not working at these temps. The gas station in Dease Lake instructed folks to place the pump nozzle inside their cabin for several minutes to warm it up.

I was was told by the hotel that the small grocery served breakfast but it turned out they do not on Sundays. So I got some coffee instead and struck up a conversation with the only other person there who was getting a pack of smokes, and holy cow, he turned out to be a 30-year veteran local diesel mechanic. I mean come on. Dease Lake has a population of 300 folks, and on a -34 degree Sunday morning I meet their diesel mechanic by chance at the tiny local grocery? Some higher power is at work here.

He turns out to be a great guy. Helped we rig up a temporary grill cover (see pic), cleared my check engine, a few $$ later sent me on my way. We made it to Whitehorse and engine ran great (> 400 miles).

This morning coming out of Whitehorse it hit -44F at one point. We drove all the way to Wasilla (~680 miles). No trouble.

Tomorrow we hope to reach final destination, Homer, AK.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper
Snow Sky Road Mountain Mountainous landforms

#23 ·
Lol first page 2nd on my list after better tires was the factory weather front. I have screen pics from taking an AS to northern MN showing -24. But -44 holy Mac take every precaution those kind of temps are dangerous as when things go wrong you can find yourself in a bind quick.

Reactions: Diesel78
#24 ·
in the early '70s, I spent many an hour at Loring AFB in Maine standing underneath a B-52 at -45. Fortunately they were supposed to bring us in at -45. I have experienced -50. NEVER piss off the senior NCOs.

#25 ·
Thanks for the updates. Hope the rest of your travels were smooth.

you just never know who you are going to run into and it sounds like you ran into the right guy.

Hope your trip home is less eventful!

#27 ·
Wasilla is home to a good friend of mine that visits HERE in South Florida some winters. Scott Vietmeier loves Alaska but is well aware of the tribulations cold can bring on. He used to be a game warden but now patrols for the Alaskan Railroad. He tells me stories of what C O L D can do.

Super happy you found the contact that got you back on the road. Also happy the Ecodiesel really did not roll over and die in those circumstances. Now my take is, with more misery ahead, you have a positive attitude and convey that to both us and all around you. Get it on!

#28 ·
Thanks for all the updates and story, great to know the Eco is capable. That trip is on my bucket list after I retire. Want to pull my fifth wheel up there. Was stationed in Adak in the early 90s, and spent a lot of time on the mainland.

#29 · (Edited)
dloop,,,Thanks so much for the great updates. The last story reminds me of my driving to Earnest AFB Newfoundland in the winter 1981, That was an experience I will never forget.
So glad the truck go the job done for you. Good luck on your return trip. Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.