Not an ideal first time towing experience next month -- ALCAN Highway.

This is a discussion on Not an ideal first time towing experience next month -- ALCAN Highway. within the RAM 1500 Diesel Towing & Hauling forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Hi Folks, I have a 2016 1500 ED Tradesman CrewCab. I have added no options to the base model other than my dealer will be ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Not an ideal first time towing experience next month -- ALCAN Highway.

Member #
    Liked
    30 times

Hi Folks,

I have a 2016 1500 ED Tradesman CrewCab. I have added no options to the base model other than my dealer will be installing an OEM electronic brake controller next week.

I may be required to haul a bunch of household items from Seattle to Anchorage through the ALCAN Highway next month.

The bed of the truck will have a pair of (smallish compared to typical US models) European washer/dryer.

I will be hauling all of the remaining household goods (two beds, furniture, boxes) in an Interstate 7x16 enclosed cargo trailer. Like this one:
    https://www.trailersplus.com/Idaho/P...LS1629HN100440

I know there will be some that suggest not making the trip at all. That may end up being the case, but if I have to make the trip I want to be as prepared as possible.

I greatly appreciate any advice you can provide as it could very easily positively impact my safety next month.

<first time poster>

dloop

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    I should have mentioned. My rig is a 4x4 model

Member #
    Vehicle
    '15 ED, CC, 6'4", 4x4, Air Susp, Longhorn
    Liked
    760 times
    Hitch and go. Won't be an problem wiith your truck. Obviously you'll want a brake controller assuming the trailer is eauppped with elect brakes. If you're expecting a lot of ice or snow get some chains.

Best of luck and enjoy the trip. Should be a beautiful drive.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Thank Robert. I did pick up some chains.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    1732 times
    New truck I assume good tires. Naturally better tires are available. If it's the factory Wranglers they are not the best on any gravel roads you might travel up there. As in they puncture fairly easy if they are not the factory LT tires. Check your spare make sure it has proper pressure. Do you have the leather weather front for your grill and also the cord behind the passenger side front grill top corner to plug her in when temps drop & you stop for the night. Might bring some extension cord to facilitate this. Maybe the optional factory rubber mud flaps to minimize stone chips. If you add tools etc & the trailer gets north of 5k a no sway WDH makes for safer more enjoyable yow especially at highway speed. We have had a couple members who have made that drive perhaps they can chime in.

BTW. Welcome to the forum
    Last edited by VernDiesel; 12-30-2016 at 11:12 PM.
    Airstream, TT, Boat, transporter. Factory receiver 1,265/12k (w WDH) factory brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera. Andersen 4" drop/rise light quiet no sway WDH 1,400/14k and 6" drop/rise alum Rapid Hitch1,500/10k w greaseless ball saves 16lbs over steel. Turnover ball GN hitch w 5er adapter, TLC Axle to frame air bags, GDE tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, Combined axle rating 7,800, Max RAM 1500 CVWR 15,950

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    1266 times
    I second what Vern said about the tires, I would want something better than the Goodyear SR-A tires if the roads are gnarly. The upgraded factory tires(Goodyear Silent Armor LT load range E) would be a better choice. Also swap out the spare tire with above.
    Something else to consider, depending on how much weight you'll have in the bed plus tongue weight, you may have some squatting to deal with. A set of Timbrens or Airlift 1000 may be added quickly and rather inexpensively. Keeping tabs on how/where things are loaded can minimize squatting.
    Also have tongue and hitch locks in case you have to leave the trailer somewhere temporarily.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 RAM 1500 ED BigHorn (Bright Red)
    Liked
    48 times
    ALCAN in January. Can't wait to hear the story!
    BrianS likes this.
    Ken
    '16 RAM 1500 ED Bighorn 4x4 - the sexy bright red one
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk?

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyler View Post
    ALCAN in January. Can't wait to hear the story!
    I'll try to post updates with pictures.
    97hmcs, Riflesmith, ESRAM and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    14. ECD QC Tradesman
    Liked
    847 times
    Take two spare tires and put your heaviest items in the trailer centered over the axles.
    Last edited by Mcsap; 01-01-2017 at 07:17 AM.
    14 ECD QC Tradesman 4x4, anti - spin, full tow pkg, Dee-Zee running boards , Jeraco fiberglass topper.

Retired Police / DOT Enforcement Officer . Penndot 3rd Party CDL Driver Examiner.

Member #
    Vehicle
    14 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    214 times
    Don't forget good spare tire(s) for the trailer and the right jack, lug wrench to change. If you have a spare wheel bearing, grease and the tools to change it, you'll never need one. Tire pressure monitor for the trailer tires.
    Ordered 5/19/14; Delivered 7/10/14 (44 days) Laramie QC 4X4, bright white, buckets, 3.92,
    20" wheels trailer brake controller, convenience group, keyless entry, front and rear park-sense,
    remote start, CD player, chrome side moldings, anti-spin diff, Mopar soft toneau and dealer
    installed W/W side steps. Weathertech mud flaps and window visors; Timber Grove Enterprises air bags;
    Fuel cap from RSD.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links