RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Towing a dozer...

8K views 50 replies 20 participants last post by  RossCountyRam 
#1 ·
Think we are getting ready to buy a JD 350. Book specs say it weighs 11,570 lbs how yal think the ecodiesel will like that?

Thank God we have some 3/4 tons.

#4 ·
Haha, yeah not so sure I want to try.

Only trailer we have that will carry it is a goose neck and weighs 4500 lbs empty, its even pushing the envelope of rated maxes for our mid 2000's 3/4 tons, and the trailer only has 14k of axles so its pushing it to the max as well.

#7 ·
As long as the rear axle isn't ridiculously overloaded the truck won't care. It's heavy but weight isn't big a deal. Wind resistance pulling an enclosed hauler down the highway is probably a greater effort. Whether you can load it on a trailer without seriously stressing the rear axle will be the real challenge.

#8 ·
First, that trailer and dozer would be obscenely illegal to pull with any 1/2 ton.

Now that you know it's illegal, make an informed decision. The Ram 1500 Ecodiesel can pull and stop the thing under good circumstances. I infrequently pull a large tractor and gear with mine. When I do I never go above 50 mph. Also never take major roads so I am not a slow hazard to others. Of course I have never towed it more than say 10 miles at a time.

Slow, infrequent and short is my solution to not having a "real" truck that will handle the load. That and a bit of prayer to go with the puckered rear end I sit on while doing it.

#9 ·
Yeah capn I'm well aware it would be illegal. Heck the only trailer we have big enough to hold it weighs 4,900 lbs... empty. The old dmax will take it to the house I'm sure.

However I am looking into acquiring a 16-foot equipment trailer with 14k axles and at some point I'm sure it will all be hooked together for a short trip, but would never consider going on the hwy excursion with it. I have towed similar with our duramax before and it works it hard enough as it is.

#10 ·
Not illegal unless it is loaded so that the rear axle of the truck is overloaded. Texas. Come have a look at what goes up and down I-35 every day.

But, since you have a 3/4T I'd suggest you use one of those.

If this is just for personal/ranch/farm use, no one will bat an eye. Now if you start hauling for money, different story.

#15 ·
I see it to often. Overloading is just unsafe at any speed, on any road, at any time, for any reason. Truck rental places have a better rig for the task. Ram does not make a class 8 rig. Load it correctly tie it down and check on load at intervals along trip.

Reactions: msp548
#16 ·
6 ton dozer plus 2 ton trailer. Sure your eco-diesel will pull fine
And yes I can verify that the eco-diesel will pull 13 ton But I would never admit that it happened
Assuming that your trailer brakes are set up properly you should be OK

Are you legal hell no !!!!!

My skid steer weighs 8000 pounds and the trailer is over 4000 it does pull it OK

#21 ·
It's a srw (H.O) but leaf springs and air bags so it doesn't squat and I wouldn't pull these heavy weights out of my state, because other states aren't as friendly as mine with heavy loads . My truck is pretty fuel efficient and going to a duelly to pull 30k by the book you have to get 4:10 gears then it hits your fuel bill.
As long as I'm good with Florida DOT / State Troopers, I enjoy making my truck work and earn it's keep :eek:

#22 ·
Ive done all the math, with the duramax and current trailer we should be able to haul it within the letter of the law provided adequate loading/distribution. Although it will be riding close to book maxes and axle ratings it should come in under. If nothing else we can put the blade on a different trailer and loose some weight if need be but I don't think it will be an issue.

#28 ·
Apparently Florida has its own rules , like I stated above I'm allowed to pull 27k legally with a 1 ton gooseneck only and this comes directly from DOT not hear say . My neighbor is a DOT officer and he told me exactly how to tag my truck and it's only about 20 dollars more per year than my 1/2 ton .
He was telling me many of transportation companies use 1 tons because its a lot less complicated, no medicals , log books , DOT numbers and list goes on .

#33 ·
In PA , any trailer over 10,000 lbs will require that the towing vehicle have either a GVWR or GCWR high enough to swallow the weight of both truck and trailer together. Towing that much is just not a good idea for your truck or the rest of the motoring public. And this is not a DOT rule, it is an everybody rule. I suspect t many other states use the same formula.

Get the right tool ( truck) for the job.

#37 ·
And the reason that its against the law is because it is UNSAFE and secondly it is HARD on a small truck to try this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.